Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting information from the Zogby group.... :u

Released: August 17, 2004

Top Issues and Voters' Choices in 2004 An Analysis of the August Zogby Poll By John Zogby and Christopher Conroy

The top five issues as identified by likely voters in the most recent Zogby America survey are: jobs and the economy (31%), the war on terrorism and security (19%), the war in Iraq (14%), health care (8%) and foreign policy (7%). While President Bush holds a healthy lead among those choosing terrorism, Senator Kerry leads among voters who chose each of the other four issues.

Two in five (43%) who chose the economy as the top issue are Democrats and Mr. Kerry easily topped Mr. Bush among all voters who chose this issue, 56% - 38%. Only one-third (36%) of those whose top concern was the economy thought the country was headed in the right direction and only two out of five (42%) approved of Mr. Bush's job in office. While the President and his team hoped that the economic turnaround would be to his benefit, it is clearly an albatross around his neck at this point in the campaign.

If healthcare becomes a major campaign issue it could do significant damage to Mr. Bush. He is losing in a landslide to Mr. Kerry 69% - 21% among those who selected this issue as the top issue. His job approval is weak among health care voters, with only three in ten (30%) approving. Also only two in ten (22%) of those who chose health care believe the country is headed in the right direction.

Mr. Bush is similarly in rough shape among those who selected foreign policy in general as the top issue -- 69% to 24% they favor Mr. Kerry. Mr. Bush's job approval is only one-quarter (26%) and nearly seven-tenths (69%) believe the country is headed in the wrong direction among this group.

There is an important gap between voters whose top issue is the war in Iraq and those whose top issue is the war on terrorism. Among those who identify the war in Iraq as their top issue, Mr. Kerry is leading 66% to 28% while among voters whose top issue is the war on terror; Mr. Bush is leading 71% to 25%. The split is also deep on Mr. Bush's job approval, two-thirds (65%) of Iraq voters disapprove of his job in office while three-quarters (74%) of war on terror voters approve of his job in office. Similarly two-thirds (66%) of Iraq voters think the country is headed in the wrong direction while two-thirds (65%) of war on terror voters think it is headed in the right direction. There is a large partisan divide on these issues, 52% of the Iraq voters are Democrats while 54% of the war on terror voters are Republicans. This all may be due to partisan perception of the war in Iraq, many Democrats see it as an important issue completely separate from the war on terrorism while many Republicans consider the war in Iraq as an extension of the war on terror.

When these numbers our aggregated for the undecideds in all of the Zogby America polls in 2004, the numbers looks even worse for Mr. Bush. Jobs and the economy has been the top issue all year (29%), with the war in Iraq in second place (14%), the war on terrorism is third (13%), followed by health care (12%).

For those voters whose top issue is jobs and the economy Mr. Bush has an approval rating of less than two-fifths (38%) while only one-third (35%) think the country is headed in the right direction. Less than two in ten (16%) think Mr. Bush deserves to be re-elected. Among those for whom healthcare is a top issue 15% believe Mr. Bush deserves another term with less than two in five (39%) approving of his job in office and less than one in three (30%) believing the country is headed in the right direction. For voters whose top concern is the war in Iraq less than one in five (17%) think the president should be re-elected while less than two-fifths (38%) approve of his job in office and less than one-third (30%) think the country is headed in the wrong direction.

Mr. Bush, however, is still strong amongst those undecideds for whom the war on terrorism is a top issue for. While only one-quarter (24%) think he deserves re-election, those who don't (27%) is close in size. Half (50%) approve of the president's job in office while another two-fifths (38%) give him a fair job rating. Over half (51%) think the country is headed in the right direction and only slightly more than one-third (35%) think the country is on the wrong track.

Watch for the President to continue to challenge Mr. Kerry's waffling and indecisiveness. It appears that the Senator's best efforts to show that he can lead the war on terror have fallen flat among those voters who will go to the polls on November 2 with that issue foremost in their mind. At the same time, watch for Mr. Kerry to hammer on the economy, health care, and America's damaged image abroad. As of now, Iraq is a winner for the Senator.

This latest poll focused on issues. Later we will look at leadership and other qualities.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Here's a different poll. It combines the war/foreign policy/terrorism, unlike Zogby's. (Combining Zogby's would give 40%, similar to Pew, but would show the economy as the main issue dropping 5 percentage points.)

Foreign policy and national defense have overtaken domestic economic concerns among U.S. citizens, the Washington Times reported.

A survey published by the Pew Research Center found for the first time since 1972, 41 percent of those polled believe war/foreign policy/terrorism is the most important problem facing the nation, with 26 percent choosing the economy.

The poll was conducted by phone July 8-18 among 2,009 Americans. Smaller samplings followed in early August. The margin of error was 2.5 percentage points.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i just don't see how anyone can vote for someone without knowing what they intend to do, other than "better than that guy."

if kerry would pipe up and give us some plans, other than "i can do better", i might give him a fair shake. as much as i don't like the POS, i'm not that high on bush either.

·
Registered
382 Posts
IHT said:
i just don't see how anyone can vote for someone without knowing what they intend to do, other than "better than that guy."

if kerry would pipe up and give us some plans, other than "i can do better", i might give him a fair shake. as much as i don't like the POS, i'm not that high on bush either.
I completely agree, at least we know what Bush will continue to do: beat the living hell out of terrorists, strengthen the military, continue to strengthen the homeland security dept. and CIA and FBI, cut taxes, etc.

All I know what Kerry would do is say one thing one day and then change his mind the next, that and talk about his 4 months in Vietnam.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I completely agree IHT. I am tired of hearing Kerry say that we will be a safer America with him as Pres. than we are with Bush. How is that when his track records shows him voting against defense spending and for defense cuts? He claims that he can "fix" all that is wrong, but has yet to provide that plan. Bush had the same goals upon entering office, however, he found that plans are easier laid out if compromise can be reached across party lines and that compromise is rarely reached. A point that Kerry, if elected, will come to find out is easier said than done.

The tearing down of the other party regardless of what is in the best interest of the American people is sickening to me, but that is what politics is today.

·
Registered
382 Posts
G-Man said:
The tearing down of the other party regardless of what is in the best interest of the American people is sickening to me, but that is what politics is today.
Check out a post in one of the other politics threads about the history of campaigns and the attacks on the other candidate. The stuff that is said today is nothing compared to back then.

While I don't like having to talk about Vietnam and discripencies in Kerry's record, it has been neccessary since he has repeatedly touted his record as the reason he should be president. I would much rather they talk about the issues. I do like how Kerry's campaign is falling apart though.

Today he was in North Carolina speaking about how the people in N.C. have it so hard and there are no jobs and everyone is poor. A few hours after he left the employment stats came out for N.C. and showed that the unemployment rate was 5.0%, one of the lowest in the nation and job growth sky rocketed the last few months.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Politics is a dirty game. It always has been.

I don't believe that George is perfect & there are some aspects of his administration that I don't particularly like, but he's getting my vote.

Kerry has spouted nothing but rhetoric & rhetoric insults me. Just how stupid does he actually think the American public is? How can people fall for someone who gets up & talks all day, but says nothing?

·
Registered
382 Posts
kansashat said:

I don't believe that George is perfect & there are some aspects of his administration that I don't particularly like, but he's getting my vote.

Kerry has spouted nothing but rhetoric & rhetoric insults me. Just how stupid does he actually think the American public is? How can people fall for someone who gets up & talks all day, but says nothing?
It's not the problem of the American public being stupid, its the problem of them not getting non-biased information. I would know nothing about Kerry if it wasn't for AM talk radio and the internet. I know that they are biased to the right, but I already get my fair share of left bias from the "non-partisan media". I sort the information out for myself and come to my conclusions.

My conclusion so far is that Kerry is the worst thing for the country right now. Personally if I would have been the Dems I would have nominated Gephardt or Lieberman or one of the candidates that wasn't so out there and always yelling and acting angry like Kerry and Howard "yeeehaaaaawwww!" Dean. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
kansashat said:

Mr Kerry is quite convinced of our general American stupidity and helplessness.
Thats why he and his ilk feel it is their moral duty to "take care of us". We, too stupid to recognize his superiority, will need to be led to the polls and shown what lever to pull. Then they can take our money, we too stupid to use it correctly, and hand it to whomever they wish with whatever excuse.

In the old days a good politician bought votes with his own money. Today, they use ours. sigh.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.