Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the thread by Sky about newbie suggestions trying to think of a response when this question hit me.

What was the cigar you first smoked and thought to yourself, Hey that was great! I need to get another one of those!

What was your first box purchase?

Finally, do you still like that smoke enough to buy another box?

I had a domestic H. Upman Robusto back in 94' and loved it! Then bought singles here and there of various stogies (1 every 2 weeks) for 3 years then stopped.

About a year and a half ago, I stumbled across a couple of 898s and loved them. I Could not find a box of 898s at the time so I opted for a box of RyJ Bully's. Still have 4 of them. I will not buy another box of Bully's......good smoke, but I've changed my criteria through the many fantastic reviews here and the Top25 site.

My transition to cigar nirvana is moving along very rapidly, That is only due to the great bunch who post here regularly, Thanks, rns.

·
Registered
718 Posts
First 'serious' cigar I ever had was an H Upmann Lonsdale that my brother gave me to try. Before that I had only sampled the US machine made garbage.

First boxes I ever bought were ERdM Robusto Largas and LGC Wavells. I still smoke both of those, and continue to buy them by the box. Of course, there are plenty of other smokes I've added to the rotation.

·
Registered
419 Posts
First cigar

Howdy all. Still a rank newbie, first non machine made cigar I smoked was a Bances Churchill; started me on this slippery slope. Good 3 dollar cigar, affiliated with one of the major houses, I cant remember which,but it impressed me enough to keep on smoking , so that's a good thing....I guess. Havent been able to commit to any cigar long enough to buy them by the box, hell I still store my cigars in a humidibag and buy them singly 6-10 at a time, about once a week. Every time I go shopping it is like being a kid in a candy store. Man I love the smell of a nicely maintained walk-in humidor. Recently though I have encountered several cigars that I think I would like to have on hand and possibly would commit to purchase by the box, and they are the Punch Rare Corojo Rothschild and the Cuesta Rey robustos and pyramids in the natural wrapper. Another Punch... the double corona Maduro also comes close. Frank B

·
Registered
291 Posts
My first smoke was a Cohiba Red Dot that I stole from my Grandpa's stash. Loved it even though it made me puke(was only 14) First box I brought was a box of ERDM RLs, was only a couple of months ago.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My first cigar was a Black and Mild, given to me by an employee when my family had the body shop.

My first box purchase was a box of some type of flavored cigars.

Nowadays, I mostly stick to cigars flavored with the soil of the Island. My how times have changed:w

·
Registered
42 Posts
my first cigar was a la finca given to me by my brother. it was alittle harsh for my newbie palette but i loved it.
my first box was thomas hinds vintage. my tastes have changed and i don't think i would by another box.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
I had my fair share of the infamous Swisher Sweets at many a party back in my younger years. Always felt like a dog had taken a dump in my mouth when I woke up the next day!:pu But, the first time I really smoked a cigar and thought, "Wow! I had no idea tobacco products could be this good!" was when I smoked a La Gloria Cubana corona gordo natural. A real eye opener. From that day I have still been partial to that size because that one cigar had such an impact on the way I viewed and enjoyed cigars. I'd always kinda lumped cigars into the same catagory as cigarettes (yes, I deserve a beating for that) but then I realized that cigars were on an entirely different plane. I know it wouldn't be the same if I had another one of those cigars today as I'm sure my palate has changed quite a bit. Today, the only cigar I would buy a box of are the CAO Criollo conquistador, my go to smoke.:u
SB

·
Registered
25 Posts
My first "WOW" was from a box of Montecristo #2 that I brought back from Cuba to give to other people. I *never* thought that I would become a cigar smoker, but I sure did enjoy that Monte #2! That was just a year ago and although I'm definitely still in the newbie category, it's been a fun (albeit sometimes expensive) new hobby.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I remember it well, 1957, I was eight years old and my Grandfather had just returned from a month in Havana. He used to spend a lot of time down there. He had a box of MonteCristo something or other and I snuck one to share with my brother. We had never smoked anything before and were anxious to look older. lol We went out behind the house and bit the end off and light it after a few tries, about then my Dad rounded the corner with the same look on his face that he probably had on Tarawa. He made us smoke the whole cigar, which made both of us extremely ill. I look back on it with fond memories of two sick little boys who almost 50 years later can now smoke them without getting sick. Wish I had taken the whole box and kept them in storage till now. :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just the other day we had a Birthday party for my little sister. My brother was there and we got to tlaking about cigars (naturally of course) We discussed our first cigar in detail..

When I was about 10 My Mom caught me and my brother "smoking cigarettes" My brother and I had swiped a couple of Kool's (my dads menthol smokes)
We where trying them out when busted..THe wait till your father gets home speach was promptly given to us. She musta calle dad becasue when he got home he was allready ready but he made us wait it out - you know the old sweat it out routine. (those where the days )

We had dinner and for some strange reason I can recall the entire night.
After we ate we where sent back into our room...I had already put on 2 pairs of pants awating the belt session we were desting to get, me being the oldest well you know what that meant...

He called us out to the living room.
He then said "So you want to smoke? and be Men do you?"
well (I wasn't about to answer ahh yeah dad.. that would have been the death sentance..
He went on and said OK so lets smoke!.
My brother and I looked forlongingly at each other wondering what this strange fate was..
He sat us down arround the coffee table -one one those chinsey mod sytle 60's tables with the round pointy legs..

He set on the table 3 of the largets cigars I had ever seen. THey where a candella wrapper (BIG GREEN GARS) I had seen them before - I think they where a circus cigar. Gauging what it was now I say about a 100 ring at at least 11" - 14"

Well light um up big men.. I went to task and my brother followed suit. Dad was not happy that I wasn't bothered by the thing - but my brother was.
He insisted that we Swallow the smoke. (eww gross I know) It was a long and tourtourus task that first cigar. But I accomplished it I think I was the same collor as the gar by the time we where done.

I can still recall the dogrocket taste and the threat that If I didn't finish it I would have to do the 3rd cigar.
So that was my first cigar.

the first one I really enjoyed was a few year later - the experience my dad gave me fortified that I knew I was not affraid of cigars.

Standing there at my sisters 30th birthday I lit up a cohiba robusto when we where speaking of the event, my father commented man what are you smokin?

I said a cigar Dad, afterall you where the one to start us out on these my brother and I chuckled....

Hb

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
My first cigar was an El Producto. I was about 12 years old and my dad caught me smoking a cigarette. He went out and came home with the cigar and made me smoke the whole damn thing. I can't remember how many times I got sick before I finished!:pu

Years later started with cigarillos and worked my way up to a good smoke shop. Then discovered the internet and now this Forum.

I was always partial to Fuentes, especially the 858 Maduro. Still keep a box of these around.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
A R&J dominican of some sort. Yuck!!

The second, two evenings later was some type of Thsmpson's machine made, cello wrapped. Mmm, kinda' nice, and a better buzz than any herb I smoked in college.

Nowadays, something good from the Island. My how times have changed.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
my first cigar was something with a wooden tip... i think it was a tiparillo.

i remember my brother's first cigar better... he stole one of my grandpa's cigars ... a white owl or dutch masters ... he was about about 12 and i was about 7. our parents were gone and he was trying to be a big shot. he made himself some coffee too. he basically turned green and got dizzy from the cigar. but the big thing was when he went to get a cup of coffee, he spilled it on himself - i didn't see him do this, but he started screaming like he was going to die (and i didn't know why at the time). i ran out of the house and down the street yelling HELP! MY BROTHER IS DIEING! lmao!! finally a neighbor came by and provided 1st aid. my brother is 58 now and he still does stupid things like that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My first cigar was a Phillies Blunt. I thought it was pretty good. So I gabbed about it. A friend of mine heard me flapping my gums about it and gave me a La Fontana. It was dry but I didn't care. Compared to the Phillies this was something entirely different. It was probably the La Fontana that made me gravitate toward the premium sticks.

My first box purchase was JR Ultimate no 5 in EMS. I was very pleased with these after letting them sit for 12-18 months (sampling along the way). I've still got one stick from that box sitting in my humidor somewhere. After that I just kept getting different brands (too much to choose from). I'm still considering getting another box of the no 5's but in maduro...

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
My first cigar was in the 8th grade. It was either a Montesino, Fuente, or a Punch. I say this because about a year ago I foung my old hiding spot and saw the bands I kept there. My first "real" cigar was when I was 16, in Germany. It was a Cuban R&J of some sort. Since then Ive been hooked, sticking with CAOs and Padrons as my main smokes and branching out into all sorts of stuff. Im lucky enough here in Pittsburgh to have a smoke shop that sells some hard to find brands that are usually pretty interesting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Throughout my high school years (1970s) and after college, I would occasionally smoke a King Edward or Swisher Sweet. (YUK!)

About three years ago, I attended a company meeting in Las Vegas and a bunch of my fellow attendees were sitting in a Cigar Bar in our hotel complex. They saw me walking by and invited me to come in for a drink. My boss was sitting there a offered to buy me a cigar. The only name I could remember was "Macanudo" so I picked out a Vintage 1993 churchill from the humidor. I enjoyed it so much that I have smoked pretty regularly since them.

My first box purchase was a box of Don Lino #1.

These days I like La Gloria Cubana and Hoyo de Monterrey.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The first cigar I ever smoked was one my best friend Joe stole from a box in his father's study. We were about 12 at the time.
I don't remember the brand. It was dry as a bone and smelled like burning tires.

Years later when we were in college, we confessed to stealing the stogie. His dad laughed and told us that was a box that someone had given him when he graduated from college thirty years ago. They'd been on the shelf in the study for 30 years drying and rotting away. Yuck.

It's no wonder that when we grew older (14 or so) that we thought Parodi's were fantastic. We'd get a six pack, my friend Joe has almost totally bald at the time, and a 5 pack of Parodi's.
We thought we were living like kings smoking and drinking.

The first real cigar I smoked was a Partagas #10. Years ago that was one of the best around. Since then it's been everything I can get my hands on. I love trying new cigars and revisiting old ones. The first box I ever bought was Don Alfredo from the Dominican Republic. I worked with a guy from the DR, his mom sent them to me. They really sucked. I still have the empty box and will treasure it forever.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
First cigar was a pay day treat about 20 years ago. Just got off from work and spluged and got a $1 cigar that came in a glass tube. I have no idea whatsoever as to what it was but something warned me that I was nearing the slippery slope.

My first "WOW" cigar was a Monte #4 (by then I was hooked on the slope) and my first box was a D4 which put me in overdrive on the slope.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts