Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember starting to smoke cigars when I was 18. Namely because my step-father gave me some smokes when I was just that. He just returned from Paris with my mom and he brought my these cool looking machine made Partagas ISOM, Corona Size but a machine made prefecto. They came in this neat looking matte gold box, individually boxed that is.

As a side note; earlier in the year before his gift I knew he smoked cigars and for his birthday I bought him about 5 smokes from the local tobacconist. Now looking back on it I wonder what I bought him. I wasn't yet into cigars and had no idea what I was buying so obviously I had no memory of what they were. I think it must have been some Dom. Partagas and Macs. The good ole' days when you were young and naive and everything tasted great.... :D

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
I guess my first hand-rolled cigar was a Macanudo Portofino. Haven't had one in a long time, but I imagine that I would still like them. They were pretty damn good for a Mac. I remember the very rich creamiiness and little of the flavors that I do not like about many NC cigars. Nice black mexican maduro binder and conn shade wrapper. Creamy AND earthy. But then it wan't long before I got curious about the internet possibilities. And voila.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
First cigar was so long ago I don't remeber. I think it was a Fuente of some sort. First Cuban was a Hoyo Corona. From there a quick slide down the slippery slope.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
First Cuban was a Punch Punch that was excellent. From there I just started smoking every ISOM I could get ahold of and............. BAM......... it became an obsession.

Now I'm officially screwed........ or doing great, depending on how you look at it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It was a RYJ, some kind of figurado since I still remember the tapered end and the red band,, boy I got sick after that one! it put me off for almost 20 yrs! I was 9 back then - almost 40 yrs ago!

Every time this question resurfaces reminds me that I'm not getting any younger, time for another cigar before its too late! :mad:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm sure my first cigar (in my teens) was a Swisher or something like that.

My first legit. hand rolled was a Punch natural......Honduran......I think it was a Rothschild.........I remember smoking a steady diet of Honduran smokes for quite a while.....the medium/full bodied flavor still appeals to me (Punch, Hoyo, FdA, BF, etc.)

My first Cuban was a St Luis Rey PC........which I really didn't care for as it was plugged.................the first one I liked (and it's been all down hill since!!!) was a Bolivar RC and it was spectacular!!!

:cool:

·
Silverback
2,656 Posts
My first Cigar 5 weeks ago was AVO uvezian XO NOTTURNO

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My first cigar was a Swisher Sweet when I was just out of HS. But the first cigar that I really enjoyed smoking was a Cinco Vegas, believe it or not. Then IHT and I went to Germany and I got to smoke a PSD4......well, thats when I fell in love. Not with IHT, but with Habanos

·
Registered
314 Posts
Started with cheap store bought cigars (Swisher Sweets), but the first real cigar that I enjoyed was a HdM EPI #2. Wow what a difference!!

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
I used to smoke Black Watch when I was playing golf sometimes. Layed off for a long time and started back up while doing field matainance around the baseball fields..I don't remember who made Black Watch, but they were never stale as they came in an aluminum tube.

·
Registered
681 Posts
AVO back in 1996--I bought a box from Thompson Cigar Catalogue and paid way too much....I just sat the box in my living room and smoked one every week or so, I didn’t know about humidification or the importance of it, that came later :confused:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My first cigar was one that my chief gave me in the navy. I can't be positive, but I think it was a Don Tomas that was a candela. It wasn't great but I enjoyed the experience so much I decided to be a cigar smoker.

My first Cuban was a PSD4 on Thursday. I haven't smoked a domestic since. :hn

·
Registered
13 Posts
My first was some nasty Jamaican cigar that I'd left sitting on my home office window ledge for months. Needless to say, it was dried out in the worst way and burned incredibly hot and harsh. But, I loved the aroma and was hooked!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Very first cigar ever was a Muniemaker when I was a kid. I stole them from my father. He used to buy boxes and fivers of these all the time.

My first Havana was a Monte #1 about 10 years ago. I used to frequent a tobacconist in Hartford and when I became a "regular" he offered my his "specials" which would be Monte #1's or Monte #4's At first, I was not overly impressed with Havanas but it didn't take long for that to change.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First ever was a Cuban RyJ that I got from my father ages ago.

The first one I remember buying outside a restaurant was a Cuban Cohiba Esplendido. If I remember correctly I was celebrating the "big check" I got after working a winter up in the mountains.

I actually bought three back then, and coming to think of it I still have one buried in my humidor. It ought to be 12 years old by now...

I hope I didn't ruin it by my makeshift humidor attempts for it the first 7 years... Got to try it someday..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts