Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
There are many non Havana smokes that have great quality, they just don't have the same flavor profile. How do you measure quality?

Some smokes I spend $ on:
La Gloria Cubana- FL
La Flor Dominicana
Some Fuentes

J.

·
-
11,412 Posts
TRILOGY Authentic Corojo's are my fav non-cuban.

as far as quality goes, the ONLY problem you might have with the Trilogy's are an uneven burn from time to time, but they normally fix themselves.

i feel that draw has got to be high on the list, cuz without it, you ain't smokin', are ya? but that leads back to contstruction...

but flavor is my #1 priority. doesn't matter what it looks like, how bumpy or uneven the burn gets, if it tastes like ashy-dirt with hints of singed ass-hair, i ain't smokin it!! (did you hear that Camacho?)

some of the best non-cubans i've ever had were from a street roller in PR made from short filler... he sold them to a corner store and you could pick them up for $5 for 25.. a co-worker of mine goes there all the time, he gave me a bundle... i didnt' mind dealing with burn problems or spitting out the short filler every so often, t'was the best damn cigars i'd had up until i had my first cubans...

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
So, I should have asked what cigars come close to ISOM as far as taste goes.
It's going to be hard finding a cigar that taste like a Havana that's not a Havana. I don't know if you drink wine, but It's like comparing a great Burgundy to a Pinot Noir from Oregon. The pinots from Oregon are good and some excellent. But once you have developed your palate there is a big difference. It comes down to what you prefer. The difference is in the soil, climate, and the way the tobacco is processed. The same goes for wine.

I hope this helps.

J.

·
-
11,412 Posts
asdklfj;asdlkjfa;[email protected]#$%^&*()(*&^%$#@!!!

damn, i misread the first post.

sorry.

uh... NOTHING i've tasted comes close to a cuban flavor. even the little cheapo man mades i've had.

i had only had about 3-4 cuban cigars and was trying to describe how they tasted to a buddy of mine, the big differences that i had found between cubans and nons... i had only had 2 RASS, 1 bpc, and 1 monte 4 at the time.. i am nowhere near close to being a regular smoker of cubans, but i can easily state there's a large margin between the two in terms of flavor.

but, my favorite non-cuban cigar is a trilogy authentic corojo...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
:r at robmcd.

Mine would be 5 vegas or Punch(DR). I also enjoy trilogy authentic corojo. A buddy bought me a CAO and Macanudo that I want to try. But tonight I will be smoking a JL#2. And I can't wait.

:pu

·
Registered
14 Posts
Living up in Canada, not a lot of us smoke anything non-cuban because they are so accessable. I have had CAO Brasilia GOL, nice smooth cigar but missing the refinement and over all body of a Cuban.

I am going to start trying more non-cubans in the near future as I like to experiment and expand my cigar horizons.

However at this time I'm still puffing on my RyJ Ex#4 and loving it!!

:D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
poukali said:
Living up in Canada, not a lot of us smoke anything non-cuban because they are so accessable. I have had CAO Brasilia GOL, nice smooth cigar but missing the refinement and over all body of a Cuban.

I am going to start trying more non-cubans in the near future as I like to experiment and expand my cigar horizons.

However at this time I'm still puffing on my RyJ Ex#4 and loving it!!

:D
Ya ya... rub it in! I like having to spend more money on a domestic than I do any good Havana, when going to smoke at the local shop:fu

·
Registered
584 Posts
edisonbird said:
What,,,,,,,,, you mean they make cigars that aren't cuban?
:r @ edisonbird...Is there any other kind?

If I wanted to indulge in such an act I'd try:
El Rico Habano Natural line (GOOD STUFF)
The Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 (IMHO is a cross between PSD4 & Padron)
La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Natural line (GOOD CHET)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, disregarding the ISOM part of the question...

Torano Signature Robusto

Henry Clay Brevas a la Conserva

Bolivar Fuerte Petits

These leap to mind right away for me. I enjoy them quite a bit.

Good smoking!
E

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.