Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Shags homely sheep
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...your house starts exploding!

OTTAWA (Reuters) - A cold spell gripping Ottawa is so intense that houses have started to produce loud cracking noises, prompting worried citizens to report burglaries and gunfire, local police said Wednesday.
Spokeswoman Monique Ackland said police had received around 20 calls Monday night and Tuesday morning, when temperatures in the Canadian capital dipped to an unseasonably low minus 40 Celsius (minus 40 Fahrenheit).
"Those were calls about breaking and entering, people making excessive noise and calls about gunshots," she said. Police responded to each alarm and rapidly realized crime was not responsible.
"Those calls were all (prompted by) the cold," she said, adding that one possible reason for the loud noises were exploding nails.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Man thats cold.

Spent time in Alaska where it can get so cold you have "Ice Fog". Highs of -40 below cause car exhaust vapors to freeze and create this frozen fog. Wierd but true.

Ever get that in Canada?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
miketafc said:
Man thats cold.

Spent time in Alaska where it can get so cold you have "Ice Fog". Highs of -40 below cause car exhaust vapors to freeze and create this frozen fog. Wierd but true.

Ever get that in Canada?
My Dad and Mom were starioned in Fairbanks from 75-77.

They talk about the "Ice Fog" but they also talk about how one of their walls in thier quarters literally had icecicles forming on it. I guess that was one of the coldest years in Fairbanks history. I think it got to -75 a few times.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
galaga said:
...your house starts exploding!

OTTAWA (Reuters) - A cold spell gripping Ottawa is so intense that houses have started to produce loud cracking noises, prompting worried citizens to report burglaries and gunfire, local police said Wednesday.
Spokeswoman Monique Ackland said police had received around 20 calls Monday night and Tuesday morning, when temperatures in the Canadian capital dipped to an unseasonably low minus 40 Celsius (minus 40 Fahrenheit).
"Those were calls about breaking and entering, people making excessive noise and calls about gunshots," she said. Police responded to each alarm and rapidly realized crime was not responsible.
"Those calls were all (prompted by) the cold," she said, adding that one possible reason for the loud noises were exploding nails.

© Reuters 2005. All Rights Reserved.
Damn that is chilly. I hate it when houses crack....not cool :D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Jeff said:
I'm glad my lease includes free heat. I just cranked up the thermostat. :)
That is a huge bonus......don't ever give that place up. Can't beat free heat.

·
Registered
184 Posts
.......Your bath tub has frost forming on it and the freeze thaw of the paintings on the wall are causing the adhesive glue on the paper backing to drip down the walls.

Yes, this winter so far this has been happeing in my house, time for a new one but not til November 2005. The home is a two storey back split over 30 years old and one wall obviously is not insulated properly. The bathtub, two painting ( one in the hallway and one in the bedroom) are all on this wall. The 2nd storey front wall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.