Cigar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... here is the problem. My humidor was reading 70% but it did not feel right so I bought a digital hygrometer and placed it inside. After letting it even out I opened it to find the digital was reading 55% and the analog 70%. I slowly brought the RH up until the digital read 67% and the analog read almost 90% (piece of shit). When I reopened the humidor all of my 1926 & 1964 Padron Anniversary's and regular Padrons have a wrinkled wrapper.... The wrappers all loosened up and look like a wrinkled shirt. This only affected the Padrons and nothing else. Any way to fix this?? Any one else have this happened?? Will this go away after letting them settle back down? HELP!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Rapid changes in RH will do this to most cigars...the Padrons since they probably had no cello's were affected first. There is hope but it will take a little time for the cigars to adjust to the accurate RH. Maintain 67-70 for a few days and wait. Don't let the RH go higher and avoid changes in RH, especially by opening/closing the humidor.
BTW, did you calibrate the analog hygrometer with the Salt Test? Also, though Digital's are the way to go, they can also be off slightly...only way to know is using the salt test on them too. Good luck and save those Padron's.
:w

·
Registered
137 Posts
I agree on the digital hygrometers. I have a Little Havana and a Radio Shack el' cheapo. The Havana is 2% low and the RS is 3% high so I have to remember that every time I check the RH.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, i salt tested the analog. that is why i used it rather than getting a digital because it was dead on. all of my cigars are out of the cello though which is why i was curious as to why it only affected the padrons.

·
Registered
410 Posts
you can try to get teh wrappers to revive, but odds are they wont ever be as smooth as they where..
Let them dry out and rest for some time - you may be surprised..

·
Registered
756 Posts
speaking of the salt test

speaking of the salt test, has anyone else done it and gotten huge differences in results on the same hydro with the same salt test repeatadly? i get so flustered with it.
jimmy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts