Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All;

I am new to the forum. I have been smoking for about 3 months now. I have tried about 30 different cigars. I found the Partagas Spanish Rosado to be my favorite so far. Whichs lead to my question.

I know a Camaroon Wrapper is from Camarron. A Indoneasian Wrapper is from Indonesia etc.... However I have seen Rosado Wrappers, Corojo Wrappers, What king of tobacco are these. A local Tobaconist told me that there is really no such thing as Rosado or Corojo, but his explaination stopped there. Any help would be appriciated.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Corojo is a type of plant and also of Cuban wrapper....well was. Its no longer grown there (and if it is, its pretty limited). Now its grown elsewhere with Cuban Corojo seed. The Rosado is another type of wrapper with a reddish tint....whici is where it gets its name. Both Corojo, rosado, and most every other type of wrapper are distinct because they come from a) different types of tobacco plants b) different parts of the plant c) undergo different processing and fermentation and whatnot.

Im sure a couple of the true experts around here can give you a better answer though.

Just out of curiosity, I see youre from Pittsburgh as well...what tobacconist do you usually go to?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rosado is spanish for 'rosy'.
Corojo is spanish for 'golden brown'.

These wrapper descriptions basically just describe its color.

Also
Claro = literally 'clear', but usually light tan.
Oscuro = black
Maduro = dark
Colorado = red
Double Claro, also called Candela and AMS (American Market Selection) = a light green
Colorado Claro, basically brown, also called Natural and EMS (English market selection)

Usually, the darker the wrapper, the stronger the flavor.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
linus is correct, there is also the color coding. wrappers can be classified by color, location, and type. for example, the H-2000 wrapper is a special hybrid wrapper made to make cigars taste bad and burn horribly :r

It can then be classified as a Cuban wrapper (though this is rarely done because Cubans are puros and it is assumed that they will have a Cuban wrapper). You can then further classify the H-2000 as a claro (I suppose), though I have never seen this done.

Another example is the Conn Broadleaf maduro wrapper. Like most things with cigars, there is no clear cut logical explaination...you just pick up the lingo and the ideas as time goes on.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see

That's What I get for studying German in High School.

Another Question then. I Like The Partagas Spanish Rosado Line of Cigars. They List the Wrapper as Rosado. What kind of tobacco do they use. They Say Ecuador Wrapper is what they use. But I am not sure.

The Real Question i guess is I am looking for cigars that are similar to the Spanish Rosado from Partagas. That is where my taste is ?

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Im not too experienced with the rosado wrapper, but other cigars that also have it are the Avo Domaine and the Cuban Parejo. Just give them and some others a shot and see what you like.

PS, Its OK, I took German in high school too.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pittsburgh's Tobacconists

Alan;

I typically hit 2 local shops.

Since I live in South Side I go to Bloom Cigar a lot. Not necessarily the best prices but the guy is knowledgable and he has a great Humidor.

My Favorite Shop is the Old Allegheny Shoppe on Rt 51. Another really knowledgable shop and a great Humidor. Better prices that Bloom Cigar.

Now if I could only find a shop that carried Oliva Grand Maduro.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Ive been meaning to stop by Bloom sometime. I go to Allegheny Smokeworks in Blawnox. Im pretty sure they have the Oliva Grand Maduro. Next time I head up there Ill check and let you know.

Its a bit of a drive for me (Im in North Oakland, student at Pitt), but they treated me well the very first time I went in. Being younger than most customers, a lot of shops think Im in for some Phillies or something like that.

3 years ago as a freshman I went to El Fumidor in Sewickley...never been treated so poorly in my life. I walk in, they come right up to help me, and when I ask for CAO Maduros (back when they were great, they were one of my favorites), they decide to explain that they dont carry them because they are such bad cigars. Meanwhile a couple months after that is when CAO really exploded and everyone started carrying them. Apparantly they wanted me to change my tastes to the overpriced Ashtons and Macanudos they carry there. Needless to say, I havent been back.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sucks to be young.

I am 30 myself and I get the same treatment in a lot of shops. Where is Allegheny Smokeworks located at in blawnox. I mean what street. You shold try the Old Allegheny Shoppe too. They are great the owner is younger and he is really knowledgeable.

Drop me an Email when you are going to Blooms. We should get together and have a good stogie.

[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.