Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I figured I get a little creative and install the GE Wireless Digital Weather Station. I use the wireless remote sensor in my Humidor, so I wouldn't have to open it up to view the Tempand Humidity. My question is how accurate are these. Becdause right now the Humidty is only 52 percent????. In the past its been much higher. Could iy be that its only 20 percent humidy in the surrounding area???. Please help and thanks 5by50.........:)

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have three fairly large cabinet humidors, and i have a wireless temp and humidity sensor from Oregon Scientific in each one. They all transmit back to a central station at my desk where I can monitor them...works real slick.

Of course being paranoid, I will often throw in other digital humidity sensors to verify the accuracy, and I have always found them to be very accurate.

Sounds like you need to calibrate!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PDS, its up to 63 percent now. It takes so long for it to move. What is your model number?. I think Costco had them for 40 bucks I think....thanks for all your help.....rich

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I'm not sure what th emodel number is, but it was around $30. The desk receiving unit has an atomic clock as well as humidity and temp from the remotes.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
Calibrate the meter

I am doing the same thing -- I think its cool to be able to read the stats from outside the box. You might see if the calibration is OK by the wet salt method that is given on the cigar nexus site, it has lots of great tips. Basically you take a tablespoon of salt with a few drops of water, so that the salt is wet but not dissolved, and put your gauge and the open salt mix into two zip lock bags, wait a day os so. I was having trouble with my humidity also, and I found out that I had a gap at the back of my humidor, by placing a flashlight inside the box, closing it and looking for light leaks in a dark room. I used a veneer srtip to close it up and it seems to be working fine now. I in SoCal and the humidity can get pretty low sometimes.... good luck:p

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your great info. Now its up to 70 percent. So maybe its a slow mover and doe not flucuate to fast. I don't know if that is a good thing??. Does yours flucuate fast or slow....regards 5by50

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I am afraid of. The humidity is lower until the weather station catches up to it. So I will have a didital meter in there just incase....thanks rich

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got one of those GE wireless weather stations a couple of months ago...Mine works great... My igloo-a-dor is at a rock steady 65% ....thanks to the climax media I use.It's great to not have to look in and peek.I have peace of mind at last.Also what's great is you can have up to three different sensors for one central station.I'll just go get a new sensor when I set up my next igloo-a-dor...which is gonna have to be fairly soon:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.