Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been curious about exactly what Sir Winston smoked, although I've heard a variety of stories over the years.

Last night, on the British version of the Antiques Road Show, a nurse who took care of Churchill during his last years brought on some Churchill memorabilia for appraisal. One of the items was an empty cigar box and four cigars that Churchill left behind. Curiously, the box was labelled "Camacho" and the word "Churchill" was also on the label. Three of the cigars did look like churchill vitolas; the fourth had a red band like a Partagas and was somewhat smaller.

I didn't realize that Camacho was an old Cuban brand. And apparently the "Churchill" vitola was actually created and given to Winnie during his lifetime.

Amazingly, the estimate for the box and four old dried-up cigars was 1500-2000 POUNDS!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've found a really cool link to a page that describes Churchill's cigar habits (8-10 per day with a lot of attendant fuss). He apparently smoke not only Aroma de Cubas, but also Romeo y Julietas. But the box I saw was clearly labelled Camacho. Is this indeed an old Cuban brand?

For more information see

http://www.cuban-cigar-lifestyle.com/sir-winston-churchill.html

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've also heard the La Aroma story. These aren't the ones from Holt's either, LMAO!! I have a tres' petite RyJ that was part of the W. Churchill collection that Lady Soma auctioned off a year or so back at Christies's, graciously gifted to me from another member here. ;)

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
A very interesting read about Churchill. Thanks for the post!

I clicked on the last link about Buy genuine Habanos and went down the left side of the page to "Cuban photos". A lot of great photos of Havana and also of the "Don Allejandro Plantation" and other places. :cool:

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Nice pick up Okie. You're right, some wonderful pictures.

But you know pictures in Havana, the one with the lady sitting in the doorway smoking a stogie. Let me tell you, she's got quite a scam going. I was in Havana in '99 and came upon her. She wouldn't let me take her picture unless I paid her the handsome sum of $1, which I did do. Now where the picture is, I don't know. Think about the cost of living in Cuba (the government pays for everything), and how many tourists go by that one spot where she is sitting. Imagine how many pictures are taken of her in a day and that money can add up pretty fast. Not a bad way to be retired in Havana.

[If you have a map of Havana, this woman always sits in the same doorway which is a short walking distance from La Plaza de la Cathedral in old Havana and literally down the street ffrom where Ernst Hemingway use to go drink his Mojito]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts