Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a small kitchen counter wine cooler that is too small so I was thinking about using it to keep my cigars in as I have some friends who use wine coolers as humidors. Does anybody have experience with this and can provide insight?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
this one depend on your wine cooler refrigerator system if it’s thermo electric then yes if its compressor operated then no just google your model and find out

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this one depend on your wine cooler refrigerator system if it’s thermo electric then yes if its compressor operated then no just google your model and find out
Thank you for the input!

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,232 Posts
This is what I have. Don't use it for wine anymore as the wife doesn't drink any longer. Pulled the racks out, and put my tupperdores with boveda packs inside. Keeps it at about 68 degrees.

View attachment 309129
Hey Bro long time no see!
Nice looking piece!

(y)

Reactions: CrustyCat

·
Wildman
525 Posts
Lots of Thermoelectric -vs- Compressor/Freon chat that's not totally right for a Freon system. It really depends upon how much modification one wants to do. In general the Thermo units are better suited for cigar storage taking them right out of the box and adding media and cigars. However, with a remote temperature control setup and a few fans the Freon rigs work just fine. In my case I switched from Thermo to Freon after consulting a pal that works in the medical field as a repair technician. Freon units tend to last longer and are more reliable.

It's all about preventing condensation on the cooling element during the cool down cycles. The freon rig I converted has an evaporator element that covers most of the back of a 32 bottle beverage cooler. Fans on the evaporator element and remote temperature control and it works great. The fans are on a purge type timer and run for 3 minutes after the thermostat control shuts the compressor off during cool down cycles to ensure there is no condensation. The fans also serve to improve the interface and make the cooling cycle shorter as it's increased the efficiency considerably.

I switched over to the freon after two thermo cooled rigs failed after a year or so of service. Probably due to power surges. The freon rig has been in continuous service now for 5-7 years. I can't control the power surges in the area I live and don't want to run the cooler on a UPS - cheap surge protection strips are useless.

I'm not the only one successfully running a freon rig. I got the idea after using the search engine on this site and reading what other's have done. One guy put a thick aluminum plate in the box coupled to the evaporator coil and put the temperature control probe on the aluminum plate to manage temperature. I took a bit simpler route and just used 12V fans and a 12V power supply - the whole temperature management system is 12V in my setup.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,232 Posts
Reactions: CrustyCat

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I have. Don't use it for wine anymore as the wife doesn't drink any longer. Pulled the racks out, and put my tupperdores with boveda packs inside. Keeps it at about 68 degrees.

View attachment 309129
Awesome! I’ve been using mine for a week now and I couldn’t be happier. Keep it at 66 since that’s the max temp and keep a boveda 70% in there and all my sticks have been perfect.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of Thermoelectric -vs- Compressor/Freon chat that's not totally right for a Freon system. It really depends upon how much modification one wants to do. In general the Thermo units are better suited for cigar storage taking them right out of the box and adding media and cigars. However, with a remote temperature control setup and a few fans the Freon rigs work just fine. In my case I switched from Thermo to Freon after consulting a pal that works in the medical field as a repair technician. Freon units tend to last longer and are more reliable.

It's all about preventing condensation on the cooling element during the cool down cycles. The freon rig I converted has an evaporator element that covers most of the back of a 32 bottle beverage cooler. Fans on the evaporator element and remote temperature control and it works great. The fans are on a purge type timer and run for 3 minutes after the thermostat control shuts the compressor off during cool down cycles to ensure there is no condensation. The fans also serve to improve the interface and make the cooling cycle shorter as it's increased the efficiency considerably.

I switched over to the freon after two thermo cooled rigs failed after a year or so of service. Probably due to power surges. The freon rig has been in continuous service now for 5-7 years. I can't control the power surges in the area I live and don't want to run the cooler on a UPS - cheap surge protection strips are useless.

I'm not the only one successfully running a freon rig. I got the idea after using the search engine on this site and reading what other's have done. One guy put a thick aluminum plate in the box coupled to the evaporator coil and put the temperature control probe on the aluminum plate to manage temperature. I took a bit simpler route and just used 12V fans and a 12V power supply - the whole temperature management system is 12V in my setup.
Update that mine has been working incredible. Just a simple plug in wine cooler with fan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts