1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why Southerners Make Good Marines

LETTER TO HOME:

Dear Ma and Pa,

Am well. Hope you are. Tell brother Walt and brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before maybe all the places are filled.

I was restless at first, because you got to stay in bed till 5 AM, but am getting accustomed to sleeping late.

Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and shine some things. Practically nothing. No hogs to slop, cow to milk, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, firewood to lay in.

All men here got to shave, but it is not so bad, cause the Marine Corps has warm water here. Breakfast is strong on trimmings, like fruit juice, cereal, eggs, bacon, etc..., but kinda weak on chops, potatoes, ham, steak, fried eggplant, biscuits, pie, and other regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit between two Yankee city boys that live only on coffee. Their food plus yours holds you till noon, when you get fed again.

It's no wonder these Yankee city boys can't walk much. We go on "route" marches, which the Gunnery Sergeant says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so, it is not my place to tell him different. A route march is about as far as to the salt lick on our back 40 at home. The Yankee city guys get sore feet and we all have to ride back in trucks and listen to them whine like babies.

The country is nice, but awful flat. The Gunnery Sergeant is like a schoolteacher. He nags some. The Captain's like the school board. All he does is go hold meetings and do nothing. Majors and Colonels just ride around with ugly looks on their faces. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting medals for shooting. I don't know why. The target bulls-eye is near as big as a squirrel and it don't move at all. And it ain't shooting back at you, like the Williams boys do at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges. They come in boxes that slips right into the rifle.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join up before everybody hears about this easy life and come a stampeding in.

Your loving daughter,

Daisy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts