Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Habanos says 65-70 rh is good for Cuban cigars. But a lot of people on this forum says 60-65 rh is good for summer days. I cannot underdtand why Habanos says 65-70 rh and %95 of this forum users say 60-65 rh. Can you tell me difference for burn and taste?

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
These are just numbers that others have found that they like....don't take them as Gospel...everybody tends to use their own tastes and experience as what they follow. The 65-70% is marginal at best....I'd never store Habanos at anything over 65% but that's my experience. 65% is a point where I know the natural oils will not deteriorate over time as sometimes happens with any cigar in the low 60's. When you consider resting cigars 1 year and under storing them at lower RH will be fine...when aging then you have to understand that the whole idea is to keep those oils inside the cigar...that's where you get that rich taste ( twang ) from. I just can't see where storing them in the low 60's and even high 50's over many years is going to accomplish in a positive way of adding to the Habanos...it's stealing the overall quality of the cigar. JMO

·
coleccionista de cigarro
300 Posts
For me low 60% is preference; IMO they burn better and have better flavor. Can't speak for everyone but I've had good results with 65% and down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
Habanos SA says 65-70*; Min Ron Nee, who wrote the book on Cuban cigars (literally, he wrote the book) stores 55-65%. To each their own.

It all comes down to taste and preference. I find that CC's burn better and taste better in the low 60's, but I'm a slower smoker. Some people might find that a little dry and want things a little wetter, particularly for fresher stock. I do find that aged cigars smoke better, dryer.

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
Cigary, so do you say you never go above 65 rh right? And you say above 65 rh, cigar oils will deteriorate?
There are certain cigars that I smoke that are better at certain RH...some I store at 68% and a few that I store at 70%....but that's only because my experience with them over the years teaches my taste buds as to what I like...not a written rule for others. The natural oils in any cigar will decline as you store cigars at a lower RH...just a fact and when those oils dry up you aren't going to get them back because they have dried up. There is the long and exhausting debate as to what that magic number is in reference to the storing of our cigars. Most will use 65% as their own personal 'magic number' and others will store their cigars in the low 60's...but don't take anybodys word as you'll need to see where YOUR tastes lie...we're all different.

I didn't say that the oils decline above 65%....they decline in the low 60's and definitely in the 50's.

·
Disfrutar de cigarros!
789 Posts
Don't over think it too much, Habanos smoke better typically on the dryer side, however that said you have to consider what environment you smoke in, dryer may be 62% in Miami, but 69% in Phoenix.

Note the common denominator, 65%.

Get 65% beads, or whatever you like, and make 65% your target, then once you get better antiquated with the hobby you can make whatever adjustments you deem appropriate for your particular conditions.

Disfrutar de sus cigarros! ;-)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understood. I smoked 2 different cuban cigars @67 rh and they tasted very well but I had uneven burn and used lighter 2-3 times for correcting burn. So does this burn problems because of bad roll or humidity? Here is 75-80 F in summer.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Most people seem to like 62-69% for all cigars in general. Pretty small range really, I've had burn issues at 69% that will go away at 65%. Seems a little RH can make a lot of difference. I've only ever had issues with cigars being to wet. I've never gotten so low that I've had issues with them being to dry. I try to be on the low side now days. 62-66 is my target. For NC's and CC's.

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
Pardon the irrelevance of my question given the context, but where might I learn about favoured RH for non-Habanos?
Well, again it's all preference.

For me, non-Habanos = 65-67%, depending. I prefer slightly higher for big, dark, bold maduros, slightly dryer for things like equadorian habano, corojo, etc. I kinda settle for putting them all at 65% though.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
Well, again it's all preference.

For me, non-Habanos = 65-67%, depending. I prefer slightly higher for big, dark, bold maduros, slightly dryer for things like equadorian habano, corojo, etc. I kinda settle for putting them all at 65% though.
Yeah, if your NC's don't wanna' hang out in the same room with your CC's, screw 'em. Let 'em get their own damn credit card.

·
The Karate Squid
10,158 Posts
Yeah, if your NC's don't wanna' hang out in the same room with your CC's, screw 'em. Let 'em get their own damn credit card.
lol. I keep my NCs and long-term CCs in one wino at 65%, and my ready to smoke CCs (and a few NCs that I prefer on the dryer side) in my second wino at 62%. Not going to worry about a third wino! (Yet... I mean maybe... but no... but maybe...)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I run 65% beads in my humi and feel its just right. There is a bit of fluctuation in the RH but generally speaking around 65% is just fine (IMO)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have two tupperdors at 65 rh now, but I started at 72 rh. At that rh, cigars were wet, kept going out, and had muted to no flavors.

Transitioned to 69 rh. First cigar I had at that rh was an af short story. Wow, epiphany moment. Didn't know cigars could taste so good. Still had burn issues, specially with cc's.

About three months ago, transitioned to 65 rh. Good burn, flavors and overall good experience. Cc's smoke fine, but if I have the chance, I will dry box them before smoking, as they perform better drier.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Where do you know that Min Ron Nee stores cigars at 55-65 rh? Does he state that in his book?
At 60-62 rh, do cigars start to dry and do you have any experience about storing Cuban cigars at 60-62 rh?

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
Min Ron Nee gets a lot of press only because he has given up a lot of his own personal time to experience and study cigars...pretty much like any student will take graduate courses in college to emphasize their knowledge of a given course. Cigars are an individual journey with findings that are about what the individual likes or doesn't like. While many things come up in MRN's books that I agree as far as logistics of tobacco and what one can do to make the hobby more pleasurable it descends to opinion when he tries to tell the cigar public what is right or wrong....this is where I tend to dismiss some of his claims as to what is good or bad. I don't agree with cigar hobbyists that torch their cigars with a 4 headed torch and cook the end like they are making meth....but if that's how they like it...it's their cigar and experience. If one wants to store their cigars at 55%....then g'head...some actually think it smokes better with better taste and to debate somebody over this is fruitless. We all have opinions....we all like what we like and at the end of the day it's about suggestions to maybe help others but if somebody wants to smoke a cigar out of their right ear.......JMO

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.