Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping to get some feedback on which Gran Coronas the gorillas favor. I keep a good assortment of the other habano classics on hand, mostly medium to full bodied robustos, churchills and figurados. But other than the Punch Punch's, I haven't really smoked any Gran Coronas. I've gone through a few boxes of the PP's, which were pretty damned good. But I was just wondering if I've overlooked anything that would be considered a "must try". I realize that it's totally subjective, but you guys have always had great input. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
672 Posts
A must try? Maybe H. Upmann Magnum 46 fits that description? It seems that many seasoned smoker finds the flavour of that one very appealing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would have to second the Mag 46. I have only had a few, but found them to be real nice med/full bodied smoke. FWIW for a little smaller ring cigar I would have to suggest the Bolivar CE.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Isn't the Gran Corona the factory name for the "A", like the Monte A or Sancho Panza Sanchos??? The Mag46 is a Corona Gorda, as is the Punch Punch...

The Bolivar CE is the only cigar in the "Franciscos" vitola. Great cigar when allowed to sit for awhile, but I don't like them fresh. I have a box of early '03 that is just now becoming quite good.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SVTNate said:
Isn't the Gran Corona the factory name for the "A", like the Monte A or Sancho Panza Sanchos???
Thanks for the clarification, Nate. Sorry, my bad. Yes, I was referring to the Corona Gorda. I wanted to pick up a box or two, but don't have a lot of familiararity outside of the PP. I was looking for something in the medium to medium-full range. You'd think that I'd be content to stick with my old favorites and standbys, BUT NOOOOO!!! :c This damned slippery slope is getting steeper and quicker every time I log on! But it's so much fun, and I wouldn't want it any other way!!

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
SVTNate said:
Isn't the Gran Corona the factory name for the "A", like the Monte A or Sancho Panza Sanchos??? The Mag46 is a Corona Gorda, as is the Punch Punch...

The Bolivar CE is the only cigar in the "Franciscos" vitola. Great cigar when allowed to sit for awhile, but I don't like them fresh. I have a box of early '03 that is just now becoming quite good.
A lot of us refer to corona gordas as grand coronas, which for Havanas is incorrect. You'er right, THey're two different sizes.

Good point!!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Don't hear much about them, but I like S.L.R. Serie A. Always very consistant and tasty med-full cigar. Punch Punch is my fav. in this size. I've never been a huge mag 46 fan, but maybe I just have not had any that were on? The Siglo IV is very tasty, but they need a couple years to really shine, and they are expensive of course. I love the Bolivar brand, but the Corona Extra never appealed to my tastes. Juan Lopez #1 is also a very consistant med-bodied corona extra that doesn't get much attention.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Among some of the other notable Corona Gorda:

Favorites list --
Siglo IV
Punch Sup Sel. 11

Also honorable mention--
Juan Lopex No.1
hdM Epicure No.1
Punch Black Prince (thanks to Hogg for introducing me to these mild/med. bodied cigars)
Rafael Gonzales Corona Extra (also Mild-med.)
Quai D'orsay Grand Coronas (more med. bodied)

I enjoy them all, buy the box (LOL) or one at a time.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
MoTheMan said:

Favorites list --
Siglo IV
Punch Sup Sel. 11

Also honorable mention--
Juan Lopex No.1
hdM Epicure No.1
Punch Black Prince (thanks to Hogg for introducing me to these mild/med. bodied cigars)

I haven't had a R.Gonzales in a long time, but with some age they have a very unique sweet taste. Great daytime smoke.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Monti - Edicion Limitada 2001 Double
Ramon Allones - Gigantes
R&J - Edicion Limitada 2001 Exhibicion No. 2
Upmann - Mag 46 and Sir Winston
Vegas Robaina - Don Alejandro

these are just a few of my favorite things..........(from a musical my mom used to watch i can't remember witch one)

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
MoTheMan said:

Favorites list --
Siglo IV
Punch Sup Sel. 11

Also honorable mention--
Juan Lopex No.1
hdM Epicure No.1

Oh, and of course the Monte C, which I happen to like very much.
kellydontwanttasleep's reply brought the monteC to mind.

BTW, a few of my favorite things is from "The Sound of Music", a classic movie. That one & Dr. Zhivago are the only two movies that have me balling my eyes out by the end.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
kellydontwanttasleep said:
oh yea with that girl dancing around on the moutian.
YEAH!! That movie's kinda' old, but the scenery is fantastic.

Ever been to the Austrian Alps?! P-R-E-T-T-Y

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
motortown said:
I really enjoy the Punch Punch, and am seeing the SS mentioned as well, along with the BP. How do those two stack up strength & taste-wise versus the PP?
Bruce5 sent me a Punch Punch and a SS#11 try the other day. I liked the P.P. better. (Did I just say I like P.P. better?) That didn't sound right. The P.p> is sweeter and more complex. The SS, may be a bit stronger. The B.P. is the mildest of the three. Similar to a P.P. Just my 2cents, I would stick with the P.P.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts