Cigar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm a newbie I have some basic questions about how cigars makers grow and obtain their tobacco. Who are the major manufacturers? Fuente, Padron, Altadias (sp?), etc.,? Or are they all owned and operated by larger companies. I know Fuente makes about 6 brands of cigars plus house brands for retailers. Is all the tobacco in those cigars from Fuente tobacco plantations or do they order batches from growers around the world? Do smaller mom and pop brands plant some seeds in the backyard and a year later debut a botique brand? Are there centers of tobacco agriculture in places like Nicaragua, Honduras, or the Dominican Republic or does each manufacturer have their own private plantations? Are the prime growing locations, barring Cuba, really hard to come by and primarily owned by premium cigar companies or by private tobacco growers? Sorry for all the ? but this subject has been on my mind for some time. Any info would be great.

SilvrBck

·
Registered
354 Posts
Go to Cigar Aficionado.com and go the archives to read about tobacco growing. See articles about the Olivas, Fuentes, Padrons, and anything related to Conn. shade wrapper.
Enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts