Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.... I'm joking... a little......
I know it's very taboo to ask this question and I'm familiar with the rules... I've been around long enough to know that people that ask this question are always sent to "The Rules"...

So here's my question:

WHY?

Why don't we talk about sources? I don't get it.... Everyone admits to having them... There's even banner ads for places to buy cubans on this page! What law are we trying to avoid? Is this kind of info shared via PM?

Enlighten me... please....

Pardon my "Newbieness"

Master of Disaster

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is no law against smoking Habana produced cigars or drinking HC7 Rum --but there are several laws prohibiting the conducting of commerce between a legal resident of the US and Cuba. This is a public forum with no control over who gets to look in and participate so with discretion being the wisest policy to follow - that's why these kind of questions are best taken off line or often referred to the Rules for guidance.
Now - if you ever do find out how to get authentic Cuban cigars in this country - pls LMK.... ;)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Once upon a time long long ago, there was this source, and oh what a great source it twas. People started posting about this place upon unsecured message boards. Not long after, shipment after shipment after shipment started getting plucked by US Customs. The same people that were expecting boxes of Havanas finest got letters of seizure instead. In trying to make right of this bad situation, this vendor refunded folks, and after that, refused shipments to the USA to this very day.

The actions of a few (who posted the source, shipping information, etc) ruined this very good source for everyone. While many may beg to differ, I know a gentelman personally who is recently retired from US Customs. For those that think they dont skim thru public boards, think again....they do.

On the question on why some vendors openly post? Well, thats their choice to do so, not ours. Virtually all my sources (some of whom I consider very good friends) neither post or advertise at all on any board. Its their choice not to & I will respect that by not reveiling them openly on any board.
Two of them dont even have a website.

I posted a simular answer a long time ago on another board to a simular question. Chances are, nothing may happen & nobody gets their cigars seized if a source is openly discussed in an open forum. But....
...when you have a $xxxx.00 order about to be placed would you risk it? Why tempt fate and chance on increasing the risk?
Remember, its not legal if you are in the USA for now. Never forget that simple fact.

Just my $0.02 cents

·
Registered
153 Posts
poker said:
For those that think they dont skim thru public boards, think again....they do.

True Dat

my sources (some of whom I consider very good friends) neither post or advertise at all on any board. Its their choice not to & I will respect that by not reveiling them openly on any board.

As do I and many others

Why tempt fate and chance on increasing the risk?
Remember, its not legal if you are in the USA for now. Never forget that simple fact.

And if you do forget, customs can remind you with a letter
Poker speaks the truth--occasionally :D

Persons on this board, and many others, charish their sources because it takes a great deal of time to find the really good ones. JMHO= Hell, I could be wrong

·
Registered
239 Posts
i have chatted with the retiree that poker speaks of and he is telling the truth. i haven't ordered cubans in a long time myself but i have a source now that will not take orders for now. in fact they may not take them ever again and they are not even open about sending cubans, you will have to find sources the old fashioned way which includes being here for awhile and making friends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Enyafan said:
i have chatted with the retiree that poker speaks of and he is telling the truth. i haven't ordered cubans in a long time myself but i have a source now that will not take orders for now. in fact they may not take them ever again and they are not even open about sending cubans, you will have to find sources the old fashioned way which includes being here for awhile and making friends.
your right, i have recently learned that is the best way. somone was kind enough to guide me in the right direction today. glad they were nice enough to do that. and if the person who told me reads this, thanks again!

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I knew it was like this & I knew that if I used one of the openly advertised vendors of ISOM's that they run a high risk of seizure, if they are even the real McCoy (did I just say that?).

You may notice that I have never pmed any of you guys to ask you for a source. For now, I will keep it that way.

There are so many non-ISOM cigars out there that I haven't tried that I can still chase the dragon for a few more years without sliding down your slippery slope.

By the time I get around to the ISOM thing, they may be perfectly legal in this country. If not, I will ask someone (privately).

In the meantime, good luck to everyone. You won't see my ugly little face in the Habano section very often because I have found that the best way to avoid temptation is to avoid temptation.

:z

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Master of Disaster said:
Why don't we talk about sources? I don't get it.... Everyone admits to having them... There's even banner ads for places to buy cubans on this page! What law are we trying to avoid? Is this kind of info shared via PM?
Over 30% of our visitors are from countries where smoking Cubans are legal. The banner ads aren't meant to imply that Cuban Cigars are available everywhere.

·
Registered
672 Posts
pds said:
Over 30% of our visitors are from countries where smoking Cubans are legal. The banner ads aren't meant to imply that Cuban Cigars are available everywhere.
Over 30%? Havent seen that many. Just seen a couple/few, except from me that is :).

After smoking a CAO eXtreme yesterday, I have to say that there is many NC-cigars that are equally good or even better than some cubans.

Just my 0.02 cents. :)))

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK.... I get it.... we don't name names so that we don't jeopardize sources. Then is it safe to assume that most of the well publicized sources are not the safest?

Also... without naming names... If I have found what seriously feels like a reliable source, what are some criteria I should use to decide if it will be safe? Without naming names.

MoD

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
El Rey del Mundo said:
Over 30%? Havent seen that many. Just seen a couple/few, except from me that is :).
They lurk in the shadows... ever notice the "guests" ? many folks never register but lurk here for a looooong time. PDS most likely has vays of findig out who dey are and vere dey live... ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey guys, I'm still a newbie, (no bananas in my name) just wondering whats up with these websites in NON-US countries offering quality ISOMs. I think the law say that ISOMs are illegal to own right within the US? But since these websites offer GUARANTED DELIVERY, well can you get ISOMs that way? Or does customs step in a keep em before they reach the border? Just curious is anyone knew what the law was or what the deal is. I've heard that the website ordering is a loophole as far as customs. Because ISOMs are legal over there. and they can't tamper with mail. let me know. Dont have the money to buy any fancy ISOMs anyways, lol.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
foxtrot15222 said:
Hey guys, I'm still a newbie, (no bananas in my name) just wondering whats up with these websites in NON-US countries offering quality ISOMs.
Not illegal to advertise. Remember, the USA is the only country to have an embargo on Cuba. The internet is world wide.

foxtrot15222 said:
I think the law say that ISOMs are illegal to own right within the US?
False. Havana cigars are legal to own, but they are illegal to import, trade, gift, transport, trade, sell, buy, etc if a US citizen.

foxtrot15222 said:
But since these websites offer GUARANTED DELIVERY, well can you get ISOMs that way?
The chance of seizure always exists. If you dont mind having...
1) US Customs knowing who you are & address in event of a seizure
2) US Customs possibly following up with fines in the near or far future for past seizure violations.

foxtrot15222 said:
Or does customs step in a keep em before they reach the border?
No, they step in & seize them under law for 30 days, then destroy them if found and send you a nice 9 page letter

foxtrot15222 said:
I've heard that the website ordering is a loophole as far as customs. Because ISOMs are legal over there. and they can't tamper with mail.
False.

From the US Customs website (note bold test)

The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of - and make every effort to observe - the prohibitions which are in effect.

Only persons returning from Cuba after a licensed visit there are permitted to bring Cuban cigars into the United States, provided the value of such cigars does not exceed $100 US dollars and the cigars are for that individual's personal use and not for resale. All other importations of Cuban cigars are illegal. All offers to buy or sell such cigars in the United States involve cigars that were imported illegally. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries (such as Canada, England, or Mexico).
It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.

The U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), administers the embargo of Cuba.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Churchlady said:
They lurk in the shadows... ever notice the "guests" ? many folks never register but lurk here for a looooong time. PDS most likely has vays of findig out who dey are and vere dey live... ;)
I knew that! Just wanted a post to get closer to the banana. Im sure getting hungry over here! :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts