Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
casual smoker
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have smoked a lot of cigars, all of them were very mild cigars. I enjoy smoking them, but i dont get too much satisfaction taste wise. so my question is how do I know when its time for me to turn to a medium bodied cigar?

·
ENIGMA
5,666 Posts
I have smoked a lot of cigars, all of them were very mild cigars. I enjoy smoking them, but i dont get too much satisfaction taste wise. so my question is how do I know when its time for me to turn to a medium bodied cigar?
I think you answered your own question. You enjoy the aspect of smoking but aren't really being challenged by the flavors presented before you. Pick up a few medium/full bodied and SMOKE THEM SLOWLY trying to savor the flavors. Also, it helps to eat before smoking the stronger cigars so they don't overwhelm you and it "activates" your tastebuds in your mouth so you might be able to pick out more flavors.:smoke2: Go for it.

·
The Mad Roofer
4,629 Posts
+1 to the above.
I don't think there is a "time" to make a switch. I started with mild and full. Quickly it became all med. to full sticks. It's just what I like. Just try a few, if you like them then your all set.
Smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

·
Don Yeyo Cigar Factory
646 Posts
Just don't do what I did to my buddy. I gave him a Cain Maduro for the third real cigar he had ever smoked. He said he liked the smell and promised me he could handle it. He wanted me to give him a Cain F, but I knew much better than that.

He almost hit the floor about halfway through the stick. I felt bad for him, but he asked for it. Now he won't smoke anything but the lightest of Connecticut cigars and he even complains that those are too strong.

I guess some people just aren't cigar smokers.

·
Munkee fish
576 Posts
It sounds like you're ready now. You'll know it when you try it. Perhaps we should suggest some stronger stogies for him guys? I'll leave that to the professionals.

·
Don Yeyo Cigar Factory
646 Posts
For some medium body there is a LOT out there. It is really all up to personal taste. Maybe the best thing to do would be to buy a maduro or habano version of what you already smoke if it is available, or something else from that line that is darker.

That is how I started and then I branched out from there.

·
CRT #1984, CRA #99974873
5,420 Posts
Let your tastebuds guide you... If you enjoy the act of smoking but you're finding your cigars to be a bit boring, it's time.

What Stubby suggested above is actually very smart - take a few of your favorite cigars and track down their maduro or habano counterparts & try those. You'll have a good idea of what to expect already, but there should be enough of a change in flavor profile that you'll quickly figure out if it's something you really like.

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
Remember that full bodied doesn't necessarily guarantee taste. There are mild to medium bodied/strength cigars that are full of flavor. Stronger cigars can be very good but don't rush by some very quality mild to medium in your quest for a change. Let your own taste guide you along and try out new cigars...read blogs and reviews and you'll be on your way down the road where it's about discernment...change for change sake is not always the answer.

·
Disinterested
10,299 Posts
You've already got some great advice here, particularly from my normally boneheaded brother:
Remember that full bodied doesn't necessarily guarantee taste. There are mild to medium bodied/strength cigars that are full of flavor. Stronger cigars can be very good but don't rush by some very quality mild to medium in your quest for a change. Let your own taste guide you along and try out new cigars...read blogs and reviews and you'll be on your way down the road where it's about discernment...change for change sake is not always the answer.
You're definitely ready to climb up the power tree, but don't forsake the full-flavored milds and meds. The search function here is a plethora of information when it comes to the review section. Also, Puff has a separate reviews area, which is accessed from the home page. There are thousands of quick and dirty reviews there to entice you.

Good question, good thread.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I guess maybe strong cigars don't affect me as much, because i've never felt totally blown away by something. That said, I'm still pretty much a novice so maybe I just don't know what it's like to NOT be blown away??

As for stronger cigars (or at least those that I've heard are 'strong'), try a Diesel UC or Unlimited. I've LOVED the couple that I've smoked, and they're also affordable.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Remember that full bodied doesn't necessarily guarantee taste. There are mild to medium bodied/strength cigars that are full of flavor.
True that.

But the problem is that so many of these milder smokes lack flavor and substance that sometimes you cannot help but to equate flavor with strength. Of course Gary, this is erroneous, as you have pointed out. It took me years to realize this. It was simply because I had little access to the better tasting milder smokes. I certainly wasn't going to pop $20 on a Davidoff all the time. As big as this darn city is, the cigar selection can be VERY limited (JR carrying their limited stuff and the lounges carrying expensive Padrons and the usual suspects--RP came out with a new one? that's news...)

Use this site as a resource.

There are milder sticks out there that have flavor. You just have to find them (i.e. read our posts).

Good luck. And thank God for Puff.

·
Don Yeyo Cigar Factory
646 Posts
I guess maybe strong cigars don't affect me as much, because i've never felt totally blown away by something. That said, I'm still pretty much a novice so maybe I just don't know what it's like to NOT be blown away??

As for stronger cigars (or at least those that I've heard are 'strong'), try a Diesel UC or Unlimited. I've LOVED the couple that I've smoked, and they're also affordable.
My definition of blown away is 3 Cain F's in a row and then doing a face plant onto a coffee table when I tried to stand up.

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
True that.

But the problem is that so many of these milder smokes lack flavor and substance that sometimes you cannot help but to equate flavor with strength. Of course Gary, this is erroneous, as you have pointed out. It took me years to realize this. It was simply because I had little access to the better tasting milder smokes. I certainly wasn't going to pop $20 on a Davidoff all the time. As big as this darn city is, the cigar selection can be VERY limited (JR carrying their limited stuff and the lounges carrying expensive Padrons and the usual suspects--RP came out with a new one? that's news...)

Use this site as a resource.

There are milder sticks out there that have flavor. You just have to find them (i.e. read our posts).

Good luck. And thank God for Puff.
I hear ya Manny...I use to in that camp that thought in order to get flavor you had to go up the ladder on full bodied/strength and when I started trying a ton of new cigars I learned pretty quick how wrong I was. I almost stopped completely from buying mild to medium cigars...when I got ahold of a few 5 paks of certain cigars I've done reviews on I was literally blown away by their profile of flavor. This is why I truly appreciate reviews and I'm not seeing a whole lot anymore that are in this profile but as has been said...if it weren't for the earlier reviews by the members here it would be a tough search.

·
casual smoker
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you very much for all the information everyone. I am going to try some medium bodied cigars, to see if that helps me get the tasty satisfaction I am looking for.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.