Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it pours... My dog hurt her leg while chasing her ball in the house a few nights ago. She was limping and obviously in pain so early this morning I took her in to the vet and they said she ripped her ACL. I feel so bad for her but terrible timing as it's Xmas and last time I checked the surgery is gonna cost big bucks...almost 2K. Earlier this week we discovered the retaining wall in the back yard has begun to fall down. A quote so far is over 10K for that. Geesh...talk about depressing. :mad: That's gonna put a SERIOUS dent in the cigar fund. Gonna go get some quotes from a few area vets and hope that one of them will be affordable enough. What a bummer.... sigh

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
filly said:
it pours... My dog hurt her leg while chasing her ball in the house a few nights ago. She was limping and obviously in pain so early this morning I took her in to the vet and they said she ripped her ACL. I feel so bad for her but terrible timing as it's Xmas and last time I checked the surgery is gonna cost big bucks...almost 2K. Earlier this week we discovered the retaining wall in the back yard has begun to fall down. A quote so far is over 10K for that. Geesh...talk about depressing. :mad: That's gonna put a SERIOUS dent in the cigar fund. Gonna go get some quotes from a few area vets and hope that one of them will be affordable enough. What a bummer.... sigh
Sounds like you need a good cigar to cheer you up.
So feel free to make a request of your choice (if I have it it's yours), and hopefully if you're at Saturday's herf I'll give it to you.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Sorry to hear about this filly. My setter got hit by a car some years back & I thought the $600 I paid to patch him up was expensive. He had a fractured jaw & fractured leg. They wired his jaw & put a pin in his leg. I guess I got a good deal.
We have a crack in our retaining wall, but it only causes a problem when it rains really hard for days......then the basement fills with about 6" of water. I will never own another house with a basement.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I could post some silly quip here and try to cheer you up. Instead, I'll just say sorry to hear about the dog. As for the wall, Mr. Filly doesn't have anything better to do. Just make him stand outside holding it up.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
How sad! im pretty sure youll be able to get your puppy fixxed, just take the dent in the cigar fund. You can always find a good stick, cant always find a good puppy...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Definately smoking a helluva cigar tonight to help unwind from an incredibly stressful week and sit with my doggie. Although leaving big piles of dog rockets all over the yard and eating unattended food :rolleyes: she is an absolutely wonderful dog. She doesn't bark much, doesn't dig holes, chew up things or shed all over the place. Just a great all around friendly dog. Mr. Filly and I were contemplating getting a new puppy to keep Roo company and also let Roo do all the training of the new dog. Looking to get a bigger dog like an Golden Retriever or Dobie cross of some sort from the pound. Of course that will probably be later rather than sooner now. Y'all have a great weekend and for those locals, see you tomorrow night! :al

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Awww.... Hope your puppy gets better! Surgery on pets is such a hard thing. You can't explain to them that it's to make them better.

There will be plenty of sympathy stogies to make up for no near-future purchases for you from the local herfs I'm sure! :p

·
Registered
949 Posts
I love my dog. I think It hurts me more than the dog when He is feeling ok.

Filly here is the thing. The retaining wall will probably be fallinf for awhile so let it go. Also I might be cheaper once it falls. Get the puppy fixed for christmas. That is the best christmas present I could ever think of.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well finally some good news! The surgery is only gonna cost about $1400 when all is said and done and they are going to be able to do it this Thursday. Nice part is I will be able to be home for most of her initial recovery, at least until Jan 10th! Wooohooo! Plus it's a beautiful 85 degrees outside and sunny blue skies, perfect weather to smoke something really nice while installing Xmas lights! :D ;)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Glad to read some good news on this thread jen.

Have fun in the sun.... it's a toasty 40 here....
filly said:
Well finally some good news! The surgery is only gonna cost about $1400 when all is said and done and they are going to be able to do it this Thursday. Nice part is I will be able to be home for most of her initial recovery, at least until Jan 10th! Wooohooo! Plus it's a beautiful 85 degrees outside and sunny blue skies, perfect weather to smoke something really nice while installing Xmas lights! :D ;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Man sorry about Roo's issue.
Get the vet attention..
As for the wall...
Hmm
Get Mr filly a double Jack sledge a sheet of subflooring material (plywood 1 1/8" thick and 6 to 8 peices of 7 foot rebar 5/8 " min thickness from home depot.
Lay the sheet accross that colapsing area (yeah I know it will stick up higher than the wall - so have him trim it first..)
then pound those rebar stakes into the ground sandwiching the wood between the rebar and the retaining wall.
Remember your retaining wall is only a few bricks with rebar and concrete filling it.
Now take the 10 grand and save it. (for now)
this will last you at least the rest of this year.
If you need a diagram let me know..

Once you get se to that go and get a broken washing machine and place it on the poorch to piss off your neighbors to the right.. hehe

Mike

·
-
11,412 Posts
seagarsmoker said:
Glad to read some good news on this thread jen.

Have fun in the sun.... it's a toasty 40 here....
good to hear about the news, filly.

seagarsmoker, i remember waaaay back to that major ice storm in springfield, in the mid-70s, i was out of school for over a week!

but you could be up here with coppertop and I, in alaska!! it MIGHT get above zero tomorrow. nuthin' like a little -20 in the morning to get you AWAKE!

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
Thats good news about your doggy. Good luck on the wall.

I have a giant old barn of a house and the cost of keeping it from falling down is astronomical.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok some good news! Roo came thru surgery today with flying colors and I pick her up tomorrow! Gonna miss her in bed tonight though. And don't go there Mattr! lol Also wanted to thank MotheMAn for a most generous package he gifted me last Sat. I smoked an incredibly good RAG, which I haven't had in a long time. I almost thought about changing my vote in the DC survey thread after this smoke! lol

Again, thanks to all my brothers and sister for the well wishes!

And of course the best news of all? I HAVE 3 WEEKS of vacation starting tomorrow! woooohooooooo! No kids!!!!! :gn :bx :z

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.