Cigar Forums banner
4921 - 4940 of 4963 Posts

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Very nice. You should really like that ODF, I love it. I only have the flake, never tried the RR. Let me know how you like it!
Will do. I bought an ounce of bulk to try because it has components that are similar to Solani Silver Flake, which I really like and has been out of stock for a long time. It doesn't really taste like Silver Flake but, after two bowls, I really like it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Will do. I bought an ounce of bulk to try because it has components that are similar to Solani Silver Flake, which I really like and has been out of stock for a long time. It doesn't really taste like Silver Flake but, after two bowls, I really like it.
It's much after it has a few years on it. I have some with 4 years on it that I currently smoke, and recently bought a pound box to age. Definitely a difference after aging. If you want to try some with 4 years on it, let me know, and I'll send a sample.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the square tins tend to have weak seals versus the round tins.
interest:
Thought this might be of interest.
“ PLEASE READ BEFORE PLACING YOUR ORDER
A good portion of our recent Samuel Gawith order arrived from the manufacturer with the bottom of the tins dented.

Iwan Ries & Co. had the option of retuning them, however, we would not have received replacements as they were already sold out.

Iwan Ries & Co. has checked each tin to ensure that the vacuum seal has not been compromised.

Although you may receive a slightly dented tin, the tobacco on the inside is in perfect condition and ready to smoke.“

A tin manufacturer that had been supplying Gawith (and, I think, Germain) stopped making their tins circa 2019. The tins that Gawith has been able to source won’t stand up to the vacuum pressures needed to assure a seal . The cardboard insert at the top of the tins is there to provide some extra rigidity so the top won’t cave in. All the stress goes to the bottom. If those four corners are indented, the seal is solid, as Ries says. I personally opened two tins of SG that I received in the September distributor release. Rather than a “whoosh” the sound was more like a rifle shot. The tobacco inside was dryer than usual for SG, which meant I didn’t have to use a blowtorch for further drying.

4921 - 4940 of 4963 Posts