Cigar Forums banner

4881 - 4900 of 4907 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Took advantage of Tobacco Pipes sale to stock up on Xikar Purofine butane. Based on Nathan @OneStrangeOne's descriptions, I threw in 2 tins each of Capstan Gold and Blue.
I took Nathan's advice as well, and got a tin of Capstan Gold Flake. I received it today, and had to try it. It is fantastic! Lots of hay, and grass and sweet as can be. Not one bit of tongue bite.... Can't imagine how good it will be with some time on it.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
I took Nathan's advice as well, and got a tin of Capstan Gold Flake. I received it today, and had to try it. It is fantastic! Lots of hay, and grass and sweet as can be. Not one bit of tongue bite.... Can't imagine how good it will be with some time on it.
I agree with your impression of Gold Flake. A very nice blend.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Honestly I have no idea (not sure what that is...:oops: )
The stem plugs into the shank without a tenon, held in place by friction. The big advantage is that the stem can be removed for cleaning before the pipe has cooled without weakening (loosening) the connection. This makes it possible to swab the airway while the pipe is being smoked. It also makes the pipe easier to break down and carry in a pocket, which by legend was favored by soldiers.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Ordered some Aromatic blends from Boswell that should be here by Monday. Can't wait to test them out.

Any Boswell smokers here?
I live close to Boswell's and go into the shop periodically. I don't smoke many aro's, but their stuff is all pretty good IMO. Which ones did you order?

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Peaches and Cream
Chocolate Cream
Pipers Pleasure
No Bite DeLite
Those are all good, just be aware there is chocolate and vanilla in 3 of them, lol. No bite delight would be my top vote out of those 4, with peach as close second in the summertime. NBD is great with coffee in the morning and with water after dinner, and has a little more complexity than the other 2. You'll be entertained with them I'm sure.
After that, they have a ton of good English and non-aro blends to keep you busy too. Look at their website and note which blends you'll try that J.M. made and which ones Dan made, and put the 2 against each other. It's fun and we always talk smack back and forth on who is a better blender. J.M. is my dad's age and Dan is my age, but they are both artists when it comes to pipe making and hand blending tobacco. I smoke pretty much all of their English blends, but I've been trying to get Dan to make a more traditional Navy blend with my rum, lol.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Those are all good, just be aware there is chocolate and vanilla in 3 of them, lol. No bite delight would be my top vote out of those 4, with peach as close second in the summertime. NBD is great with coffee in the morning and with water after dinner, and has a little more complexity than the other 2. You'll be entertained with them I'm sure.
After that, they have a ton of good English and non-aro blends to keep you busy too. Look at their website and note which blends you'll try that J.M. made and which ones Dan made, and put the 2 against each other. It's fun and we always talk smack back and forth on who is a better blender. J.M. is my dad's age and Dan is my age, but they are both artists when it comes to pipe making and hand blending tobacco. I smoke pretty much all of their English blends, but I've been trying to get Dan to make a more traditional Navy blend with my rum, lol.

Thanks for all the information.

I figured these would be good for summer that's why I got them. I'm mostly an English & Balkan smoker myself, but sometimes get smoked out if you know what I mean.

I tried the Chocolate earlier, and I really liked it. I also have a Chocolate from Wilke that is excellent as well, but a bit nuttier due to the Burleys. I got four Aromatics from Wilke as well who's is my local shop. John is a master at blending, and does it all on site like J.M. & Dan. I can spend hours in the shop when I go. Buy some tobacco's, and sit in the lounge, and smoke like a runaway train, lol.

I'm always trying different blends. It's half of the fun for me. So I end up with tons of jarred tobacco blends, and always have something different to smoke. I rarely smoke a particular blend for more than a couple days.

I hear Boswell's Northwoods is excellent, so I'll likely place another order, and add that. Can you recommend any other English/Balkan blends from Boswell? Maybe a VaPer or two if you smoke them. See, this is how I end up with so much tobacco, but I Know we all do the same thing😁

4881 - 4900 of 4907 Posts