Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we all like to talk about and smoke great hand made fine cigars but I was just wondering what your favorite crap cigar is? Oh you know the kind I am talking about the ones that are machine made and rolled in paper, maybe they have a plastic tip and are sold by the cash register at the gas and sip. The ones you might buy when headed out to the lake when no one is looking. They go by the name of Swisher Sweet, Tampa Nugget, Backwoods, etc…

I only want to know about the low brow stuff if you can buy it at your tobacconist it is too hi class only the paper box cellophane rapped mini-mart or drug store types sold next to the Bugle Boy cigarette tobacco and the Apple Jack chew.

I like the Back Woods but Swishers will do in a pinch. :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can honestly say I only smoke handmade cigars. I'm not a snob or anything, but if I don't have a real cigar with me or don't have the time I just don't smoke. Life's to short for bad cigars :w

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Treyjo43 said:
I can honestly say I only smoke handmade cigars. I'm not a snob or anything, but if I don't have a real cigar with me or don't have the time I just don't smoke. Life's to short for bad cigars :w
I don't smoke them anymore either but they were my introduction to cigars and for that they will always have a foul tasting place in my hart.
:pu

·
Registered
223 Posts
only the paper box cellophane rapped mini-mart or drug store types sold next to the Bugle Boy cigarette tobacco and the Apple Jack chew.
In that case, I'd say it would have to be the Cuesta-Rey #95 3 paks.
They come in a paper box that is cellophane rapped and are sold in drug stores.... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive never had one from a gas station. I have a few friends that, when they see that I have a cigar, will go get a Swisher, or a Black&Mild from their car or apartment and smoke with me. That stuff smells really foul, and I cant imagine even wanting to smoke one. My first was an AVO, so I dont think I'll ever go to a gas station for cigars.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Since I started to enjoy cigars on a more regular basis about 1.5 yrs ago, I stick to handmade only. HOWEVER, as a kid I, along with my party buddies, would pick up a pack of Colts. Those are wine-dipped and plastic tipped...maybe only available in my home country of Canada? In any case, they did the trick for a bunch of guys who wanted to pretend they were smoking real cigars.

Hell, we wouldn't even have known how to clip and light a real cigar...that fear alone probably kept us from trying to go into those fancy and musky smelling cigar shops.

Funny...when I think of Colts now, I also think immediately of binge-drinking and hurling my cookies....nice product memory association! :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kscotty said:
Since I started to enjoy cigars on a more regular basis about 1.5 yrs ago, I stick to handmade only. HOWEVER, as a kid I, along with my party buddies, would pick up a pack of Colts. Those are wine-dipped and plastic tipped...maybe only available in my home country of Canada? In any case, they did the trick for a bunch of guys who wanted to pretend they were smoking real cigars.

Hell, we wouldn't even have known how to clip and light a real cigar...that fear alone probably kept us from trying to go into those fancy and musky smelling cigar shops.

Funny...when I think of Colts now, I also think immediately of binge-drinking and hurling my cookies....nice product memory association! :p
kscotty: Yours is exactly my experience except my friends and I would buy swishers. Nothing will accentuate binge drinking and the subsequent hangover like smoking an entire box of those babies. Ah to be 18 again!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Try not to smoke crap cigars any more, but do have fond memories of Swisher Sweets and Tampa Jewels ,which were the height of sophistication when I was in high school in the 60's, course it could have been that a honey I was sweet on gave me a box of them for Christmas. Frank B

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
I used to smoke Backwoods Smokes when I was fishing with my grandfather all the time. He used to smoke Swisher Sweets. He was from Pittsburg area and I have a question about the name he used for cigars or perhaps Swisher Sweets. He called them toebee's. Anyone heard that before. Hey when I got older and wanted to smoke a "good" cigar, I used to smoke Black Watch. Don't see them around anymore but the still taste good in memory.

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
I agree with the comments above... I only smoke handrolled. I prefer the larger ring sizes and most if not all of the machine mades are much smaller. If I found a large ring machine made I would certainly try them. Who knows....

Take time to enjoy a good cigar... don't smoke crap! Many hand made sticks can be found for a reasonable price. Evaluate the cost of the cigar with the time and enjoyment you will spend smoking it... you may find that it's a very inexpensive "little luxury".

"Cheap" smokes for me would include Flor de Olivas, Cupidos and Occidental HSGs. They are mostly $2 a stick or less... not bad in today's world of $2.00+ gallon gasoline.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Talking about airing your dirty laundry! :pu

I first ventured from Lucky Strike ufiltered, to rolling my own with zig zags and tops, to Natural American Spirit cigs, then finally "quit smoking" to Antonio y Cleopatra (AYC) short filler natural leaf "cigars". I eventually found myself in a real tobaccoist and bought some Fuente Curly heads at $1.25 a piece and have not gone back to drugstore cigars since. Oops I can't say that; I had a pouch of Backwoods cheroots on a golf outing in Pipestem W. Virginia once when I forgot my Nalgeneador. Not that I have evolved much above these sticks since; I like cheap cigars and usually buy seconds, bundles, and sandwiches more than the fancy box sticks.

Drug store cigars are now more expensive than what you can get quality hand rolled cigars for on cigarbid.com auctions. I ended up with a box of 25 Professor Sila (never heard of them but supposedly they sold for $200 in the boom) coronas for $13. That same $13 would get you many fewer of the inferior drugstore cigars. No reason to smoke drugstore stogies unless you can't find or mooch them anywhere else :D

I gotta say from memory if I had to pick a drug store stick again it would likely be a cheroot (Backwoods or the like) as they seem to put a little more effort into the flavor than into appearance as as Antonio y Cleopatra (AYC) does.

Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
Originally Posted by God
They are mostly $2 a stick or less... not bad in today's world of $2.00+ gallon gasoline.
Why is $2.00/gallon of gas expensive?
An average of $0.50 (1/4 the price) of that $2 goes to State and Federal fuel taxes. That puts the price of a gallon of gas @ $1.50/gallon. Considering all the efforts it takes to produce that gallon, exploration, development, extraction, transportation, refinement, and transportation to the pump, I'd say $1.50 is pretty dang cheap.

Consider this, if gas cost the same as bottled water it would cost over 8 bucks a gallon!

God made a good point about cigars when he said:
Evaluate the cost of the cigar with the time and enjoyment you will spend smoking it... you may find that it's a very inexpensive "little luxury"
I'd say the same thing about gas. If your car gets 20 mpg and the "cost" of gas w/o taxes is 1.50/ pg, and you're driving 70 mph, you just spent $5.25 for that hour of driving.

How many of us regularly pay more than that for an hour of cigar smoking?

·
Registered
221 Posts
OK, Dutch....good points. However when I stop to fill up my Yukon XL (glug, glug, glug) :z it still hurts to remember those days not too long ago when I was paying $1.20 a gallon!

Yeah, yeah...now you're thinking "well don't drive a gas guzzler"........but I have to...it's the American way! :D

Anyway, I will do whatever I have to in order to continue justifying my cigar habit of 2-4 sticks a week....right now I'm telling my wife that it helps to relax me, which in turn keeps my blood pressure in check! heh-heh......

·
-
11,412 Posts
not to keep bringing this up as a knock against the famed Cuban Cohiba Robusto, but i've had a bundle of 50 Don Asa's i got off of c-bid.com for under $20. let them age for half a year, and you have the same "nutty" flavor of a CoRo at 20000% cheaper prices.
hmmm... $15 Euro for a CoRo, or <$.35? i think i'll take less than 35 cents.

seriously though, i have only had cheapo drug store cigars 1 time, and that was when i was on a business trip to Hawaii and my sticks got ultra over humidified, so i went and grabbed some of those "black n milds".
they did in a pinch, reminded me of some nasty british style pipe tobacco though...

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
We have a field with cows across the road & since I'm so fond of that barnyard flavor, I'm thinking about getting me some Zig Zags and.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
El CrapO....... Mine has to be the Parodi's...........i still smoke one on occasion. I get them from Walgreens for 2.79 a 5er. Good for a day at the fishin hole..................no need to humidify! =0)
Nash

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.