Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a certain internet retailer that claims to be one of the best - actually this year he was called the best internet retailer of some sorts. Anyway, back to the point, I ordered a box of cigars with specific instructions, those shipping instructions were NOT followed by the said vendor and as a result I had to pay about the same price as the cigars for duty and excise. See, this was not the first time this happened with this source, in my previous order to this guy I included no shipping instructions, and when the package was red-flagged, I paid and informed the retailer for his information only (and took full responsibility).

However, this time around when I complained to him who keeps calling me "my friend" in his emails, he first asked me how much was the amount I had to pay, then when he found out, he gave me a few choices - all of them amounting to the same - costing him nothing and I would pay either the customs duty or return charges that were about the same amount as the original purchase price! Well I paid the customs and kept the cigars! AND deleted him from my list of mail order retailers. IMO the name of the game is service, and this guy is full of hot air.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I once had a similar problem with a vendor out of Spain. Might be the same place. He said he would send the box intact by one method, and they came reboxed by another method. I 'swallowed' the shipping fees and returned the cigars. Will never order from him again.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Morad, understand your dismay and probably the only thing to do is what you did. To be honest I'm not 100% surprised at the response, but I do know that the usual customer service from this vendor is impeccable. That is coming from a US customer though and your situation is a bit different.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my friend either and I have had to resolve with him another matter. Give him another chance and forward this thread with your request.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lamar said:
I haven't had any problems with my friend either and I have had to resolve with him another matter. Give him another chance and forward this thread with your request.
actually, this time around WAS the second chance! the first time the same thing happened, I thought we both learned what not to do, that's why I provided specific instructions as how to ship them to me this time - and he did not follow them,, and after he was informed of all the facts, he did not accept any sort of responsibility,, IMO if you fool me once shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have used this source a few times .... I will say this, I ordered a cab of '98 punch churchills and 7 out of the 10 I smoked had draw problems ... needless to say I was pissed ... I informed our buddy, and he took the cost off of my next order ...

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
OK
Which source are you all talking about here?
I thought I knew my sources well. I've never encountered any trouble (well, sometimes agter making a lot of noise till they got to know how I like to get my things shipped).
Can someone PM me w/ info?

MoTheMan

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Thanks for the PM ESP. Reply sent.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
219 Posts
If it's what I think, I believe good advice was given to you. The risk in ordering is sometimes a lot gets lost in translation... You might also be under the impression that person you are dealing with during communication is the actual person who packages and ships your order. I've gotten that impression before but now know better.

In defense I've probably gotten on a certain vendor's (I believe you are referring to) nerves slightly by having additional or extra communications to make sure we are certain we are on the same page. But in the end, I know I have 2 or 3 transmissions with instuctions agreed to. If something goes awry with the instruction, then it's clear I shouldn't be expected to bear the burden for correction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts