Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many were watching the Ryder Cup yesterday, but on the first hole in the afternoon matches Darren Clark was lighting a Cohiba on the first tee... It was a very dark wrapper... I think it was a Cohiba DC El... anyone see this?? No wonder the Americans didn't stand a chance...I saw Lee Westwood even holding the cigar for Darren while he was putting on the back nine...talk about team work...what a great partner...they crushed Jay Hass and Chris DeMarco maybe the American team needs some Cohbia Power...Bman :w :w

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Bman said:
I don't know how many were watching the Ryder Cup yesterday, but on the first hole in the afternoon matches Darren Clark was lighting a Cohiba on the first tee... It was a very dark wrapper... I think it was a Cohiba DC El... anyone see this??
Didn't see that.....but smoking a great cigar can't hurt your game, especially when your partner is there to keep you from laying it on the grass.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It looked like a Churchill length/gauge to me. A flash of gold on the band. That might mean an EL, but on my TV the wrapper seemed slightly light to be one.

I'd like to think the stick was Cuban, Clark being from the UK and all. However, according to previous threads, isn't it illegal for nonresidents to bring Cubans into the US? Lord knows nobody would try to smuggle one in.

Initially when I saw the shot I thought Opus X.

Hopefully it wasn't a Thompson. If the cigar world saw a clip of my pals(excluding Fredster) smoking on a course, they would react in horror at the guys choices. Myself, I usually do not smoke Cubans linkside, but reserve them for a time that I can savor and relish the experience.

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Darrens morning smoke. I can't find a picture of the 1st tee afternoon smoke. I do know that he smokes a lot of Cubans. I thought it was a Cohiba he was firing up in the afternoon

http://picsrv.europeantour.com/fif=...,0.3125,0.12500000,0.12500000&lng=en&cvt=jpeg

Some other cool pics of Darrens cars and cycles, etc.

http://www.darrenclarke.com/ism/sites/clarke/gallery.shtml

Oops!

Just found this comment on the above site:
Q. Darren, firstly best of luck in the Ryder Cup. Hope you bring the cup back home. Secondly, how many hours do you practice? Thirdly, what brand of cigars do hyou smoke?
MARK MCGREGOR
A. Hi Mark, We hope to bring the Cup home too! My practice regime depends on whether it is a tournament week or not. During a week off I may decide not to pick up the clubs at all or may work with one of my coaches. I also play with some mates occasionally for a bit of a wager! During a tournament week, I spend a lot of time on the putting green and my short game and probably a bit less on the range, unless I am working on something particular. I like to smoke Cohiba's. All the best, Darren.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Whatever Darren Clarke was smoking, it worked.

I just might need to switch to Cohiba's on the course to beat Fredster next time. Anybody who can birdie/par on the final two signature holes at TPC Tampa Bay and says they are a bogey golfer is sandbagging!

Joe

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Heartpumper said:
Whatever Darren Clarke was smoking, it worked.

I just might need to switch to Cohiba's on the course to beat Fredster next time. Anybody who can birdie/par on the final two signature holes at TPC Tampa Bay and says they are a bogey golfer is sandbagging!

Joe
So how much money did he take you for? :r

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Guys,

I live pretty close to Oakland Hills Country Club, and the past week has been a blast! We had great weather for the most part. And, much to the surprise (and probably dismay) of the national and international media, nobody got carjacked or shot, and we did not riot or burn the course down. :fu

Lasting Impressions:

The Europeans were definitely more outgoing and at ease with the people in the galleries and when the team was out and about. They were loose, laughing and joking around with people, and were constantly signing autographs. We were a bunch of tight asses. I'm not sure about the media outside of Detroit, but our local guys blasted 'em for it, too.

If you think Post 9-11 airport security is tough, talk to people who attended the golf matches! Empty all of your pockets. No cell phones allowed. Prepare to be patted down. And on and on. Blah blah blah.

Donald Trump was in town last Thursday for some big Ryder Cup kick-off bash. He's still an asshole.

Oh, and speaking of tight asses, Metro Detroit is full of them. There's a sh*tload of money rolling around this town. An international event like this gave all of us regular folks another opportunity to laugh at all of the people around here who take themselves waaay to seriously.

I wish I would've had an opportunity to attend, but ticket availability, ticket prices, traffic and parking were a major cluster. My brother, along with a couple of guys from the smoke shop got to marshall Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They all said they'd do it again in a heartbeat. Now that would've been prertty cool.

So yeah, all in all, with the exception of the outcome, it was a pretty cool week. There was a huge buzz in the air, sorta like when the Lakers were in town during the NBA Finals this past June. But it was different. Tell you what, though. I wouldn't mind going to the next one. It's in Ireland. Now that would be a party :al !!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Brandon said:
So how much money did he take you for? :r
No money changed hands, just lots of good cigars. Joe actually beat me, I think he shot 88 and I was 92. We both had 44's on the front 9, but I had a couple snowmen on the back 9. My wife called me and we started arguing about our upcoming vacation reservations and I took a couple 8's in a row, but then finished strong. Very fun day. :w

·
Registered
234 Posts
Actually, Fredster brought a very nice sampling of excellent cigars. A Montecristo #2, smoked on the course, was spectacular.

Fred, on the other hand, graciously accepted a few of my Newbie Cubans, and said nice things about most of them.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts