Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few cigar shops I hit frequently enough that all the employees recognize me. There is a decent shop within walking distance of my house that I frequent most, and they also have a location close to my work.

I was able to get some Hemmi maduros at the one close to my work on Monday, and when I asked about Anejos the clerk told me a box had been shipped to the location near my house just the night before.

I drove up and got the first 2 cigars out of the box. At that time they were counting on them lasting a couple of days at the 2/day limit. I wasn't able to make it into the store Tuesday, and on Wednesday I got tied up at a shop I hadn't been to before talking to the owner; so I didn't get to go Wednesday either.

On the off chance that they weren't gone yet I stopped by today and did a quick look of the area where the fly off the shelves boxes are placed. The owner was in today and I asked him how long the Anejos lasted. He said, "oh they went very quickly, they were gone the first day." As he said this he pulled out his keys and opened one of the rental lockers and pulled out a ziplock bag containing an Anejo and a Hemmi Maduro. He told me they put most of them back for frequent customers. I had what I had come for but I wanted to buy something else as well. Thanks to KansasHat planting the bug into my mind I had to pick up a few Buc Salsas. :w

As much of a mail order advocate I am, you just can't experience this unless you frequent a local shop as well.

-Matt-

·
Registered
734 Posts
I agree txmatt, I had almost the same experience. I like going into the shop and just talking with the owner and employees. Plus, the owner and a couple of the employees will give me something they want me to try. Every two or three times I go in they give me a cigar they think I might like. You just can't get that kind of service by mail order.

However, if you are buying by the box, you can't beat mail/internet order.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Similar experience with me recently. True story.

Was at one of my favorite shops while visiting the East Coast over Thanksgiving. I like stopping by there and have been a regular customer over the years, and I buy from their two stores aw well as mail order, so they know me pretty well. I also often bring them ISOM for some of the guys in the store -- usually from a batch of really good ones that I may have recently received, as was the case on this trip.

So I was in the store picking up a selection of singles and I turned to offer one of the reps I know an ISOM. He asked me what it was & I told him a Le Hoyo du Prince and the cabinet it came from was a pretty good one. Anyhow, we got to talking some & I noticed that they had plenty of Padron Anniversario 1964 on hand. I aksed if they had so many Anniversario that they were able to sell them by the box, as I have a friend who's looking for one. Well, the senior rep who I was talking to looks me in the eye & says in a hushed tone, "For you, a box of the Anniversario 1926's if you want". Whoa, I was speechless for several seconds. He then said to me, "You're a good customer and it's the least we can do". Wow!! Talk about cstomer service.

Sad to say, I turned the offer down. Knowing the retail price of those puppies, a box would have run in the $400-500 range retail, more than I was willing to spend. Still, he wasn't too put off, letting me know that the offer was there so long as they were available (I'd have to buy it in person).

You're right txmatt, there are some things that catalog or internet ordering just can't do.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yeah I love my shop! I mean you know you can't kick it in the mail box, and smoke a PAM. Plus the guys that come in are pure comedy! You can't beat that, but again they cant beat the prices :tg oh well cant win them all right?

·
Registered
949 Posts
I have a few favorite shops here in Pittsburgh... The Old Allegheny Shoppe has to be my favorite followed By Allegheny Smokeworks and then Blooms. My favorite Cigar hangout is the Leaf and Bean Cigar and Coffee shop. But this is true. I get special treatment whenever I go to these shops. It is a great feeling. You know the guys there and they know you. Even if you don't necessarilly get the cigar saved for you or get offered the Box of 1926's which I think I would have mortgagued my house for. You still have the comarardery of the shop. It is almost like being here at Club Stogie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.