Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gorillas!

What kind of wine do you like when enjoying a cigar?

I am partial to a good chard, but like the reds also.

:al

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
About the only wine I drink with cigars is Port. Mostly aged tawnies with a preference for Taylor Fladgate or Fonseca. Special occasion would be 70 or 77 vintage Fonseca.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Don't normally drink wine with a cigar. But if I was going to it would be a nice peppery Zin with a PSD4. Both are nice and spicy, and would hopefullt compliment each other. Normally I just drink water.

Ctop

·
-
11,412 Posts
i am going to have to try this. i would never think of drinking a wine like that with a cigar... for some reason, they just don't seem like they would pair up nicely. :confused:

but, as luck would have it, on my way back from STL, i stopped by the "stone hill" winery off hwy 70 and grabbed a bottle of their port (i've had it before, was nice).

so, maybe i'll give it a shot tomorrow night (before the wine is gone). too bad you're out of town on FUNNY BUSINESS, coppertop, we could've kicked back on my deck and tried pairing it up with something to see how it went.

but nooooo... you're off at some lake or something while i'm stuck pulling 12 hour shifts (i actually had to go back into work thursday night from 7pm-9:30pm for 2 briefings).

·
Registered
949 Posts
There is a little Winery in between 7 Spring Mountain Resort and a little city called sumerset. It is on Route 31. About a 1/2 hour drive from where the Flight 93 memorial is going to be built.

I think it is called stone creek or something creek winery. Whatever it is I stop there. The have 3 very sweet wines that I enjoy. On is a concord grape, One is called diamond it is a very sweet white and the last is like z zinfindale. All of these wines are top notch.

·
-
11,412 Posts
partagaspete said:
Hey IHT how did you enjoy the Port? and what did you match it up with?

T
i didn't have it with any cigar last night... i haven't been feeling too good. i just had a small glass...

but, if/when i do it, i'll pass on what and how it paired up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1. Port (there are some awesome LBVs 1997 and older for under $20)
2. Pinot Noir
3. Zinfandel
4. Merlot

·
Registered
45 Posts
I usually drink coffee with my cigars but when I do enjoy Port and Ice Wine with cigars. I find the sweet, richness of port really compliments a good cigar. As for ice wines... I find the sweetness and the cold of the wine kinda cleanses the palate and is very refreshing between puffs.

Aloha,

Wade

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
sgoselin said:
About the only wine I drink with cigars is Port. Mostly aged tawnies with a preference for Taylor Fladgate or Fonseca. Special occasion would be 70 or 77 vintage Fonseca.
I'm with you on that one. I have a bottle of Warres I'm almost done with now. I've found that ports have a smoothe sweetness that does a real good job of cleansing your pallete between draws. I've also had a newer scotch liquer (maple based) that cleanses well also..... Stumbled onto that one while searching for different Scotches.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
partagaspete said:
Next thing ya' know you'll be hittin the Mad Dog 20/20. Mmmm Gooood stuff :pu
Careful now, taking me back to my college days. Ahhhh those were some good times. :r

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
partagaspete said:
I like a good Aletajano (sp?) red wine with some spice to it. Merlot and Ports are also good.

Hey IHT how did you enjoy the Port? and what did you match it up with?

T
Alentejano?? You know your stuff Pete! I like red wines from Douro (Buermester, Caroça, Bafarela) this last one, they released a red wine this week with 17% alcohol!! Alentejanos I like (Monte das Servas). To those who like white wines and have the oportunity to get hold of Potuguese wines don't loose out on Planalto (Douro) and FEA-Fundação Eugéniode Almeida...

I'll stop here or else I'll be typing all night:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.