Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyones favorite thing to do, or not to do ;) while smoking a stogie.
A good bonus question is... what chore or task that you have that must be done and is generally disliked; is made a lot better by a stogie?

My favorite is sitting in the swing with my darling wife just talking about whatever. Out hunting or fishing comes in right up there too. Out on the sail boat is a biggie too.

As for the bonus questions... I would have to say any type of yard work, all of which I generally abhor. Sometimes while I am research property values for clients (I'm a Realtor and I really like my job) I go out to the swing with my laptop and research online while puffing... this is not exactly my idea of "rough working conditions"

:D

How bout ya?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I love fishing in the boat with a big ole' stogie.Fishing is relaxing for me and so is puffin on a cigar.Put the two together and what could be better.

My kids spent the night at my mother-in-law's last night.So the wife and I headed out today on the boat fishing.

Great Day!

·
Registered
126 Posts
my best friend and i always have awesome talks when we're smoking cigars. we like to sit underneath this WWII tower memorial at KU.

i have yet to do yardwork smoking a cigar but it would probably make it a billion times better.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I like to smoke em inside. I don't really like to smoke when I'm doing lawn work as it almost seems as if I'm just wasting the cigar......but I do light up a cheapie sometimes when I am working in the yard.

I am of the opinion that the nose makes up a large percentage of smoking experience in a cigar. It is hard to experience the nose when smoking outside. It also explains to me why a lot of smokers don't like certain cigars when I find them to be very palatable. Of course, it could be that my taster is not as mature as theirs, but I think many times it is because they smoke outside & half the flavor gets carried away by the breeze.

Disclaimer: Tastes are subjective & kansashat's opinions may not be based on anything resembling reality. ;)

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Golfing is a good activity especially after 18 holes and your in the clubhouse with a nice stick and ordrering a scotch to go with it.

sitting on the deck in peace and quiet with a nice drink or even a cup of good coffee if a little chill is in the air.

You dont want to over exert yourself with the activity you are doing while smoking a cigar. You will pay to much attention to the activity and loose the enjoyment of the cigar.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have to agree with Fishing and cigars. Two very enjoyable things that go together well.

I will smoke a AF curly head or something similar while doing yard work. It makes the chore more bearable.....

·
Registered
803 Posts
I like to enjoy my cigars relaxing. Wind or a good breeze will ruin the experience for me. I like nothing better than to be out at dusk when things are nice and still having a cigar while fishing. Today I sat in the sun with a couple of friends and enjoyed a WOAM...what a nice afternoon.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I'm of the same thought as Kansashat. Don't really like to smoke outside because a lot of the aroma escapes. Also, don't like to be working when I smoke. Seems to detract from the enjoyment. I prefer to be sat inside chatting with someone, sipping on a beverage. Said beverage can be coffee, beer, whiskey, etc.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
kansashat said:
I am of the opinion that the nose makes up a large percentage of smoking experience in a cigar. It is hard to experience the nose when smoking outside. It also explains to me why a lot of smokers don't like certain cigars when I find them to be very palatable. Of course, it could be that my taster is not as mature as theirs, but I think many times it is because they smoke outside & half the flavor gets carried away by the breeze.
Completely agree!! :w

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
1) Decompressing at the start of the weekend;

2) Grilling, (although I usually grab a known commodity, since the charcol / wood smoke can mask alot);

3) Sitting in a corner, babbling incoherently and blowing spit bubbles, (see #1).

Scott"needsacheckupfromtheneckup"M

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hmmm...anything that affords me to put a cigar to my lips is a favorite activity of mine, but I'm particularly fond of the times when it allows me to get together with other cigar lovers.

I agree with the sentiment that smoking during yardwork makes it seem not so bad after all.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I usually smoke a few on the golf course; however, because I think that it's difficult to truly enjoy a good cigar on the course between the wind, constant laying down and picking up, concentration issues, etc, I rarely smoke a great cigar on the course. Rather, I'll smoke something I like but not something that's going to make me want to concentrate on the flavor or something that's going to bowl me over.

For me, the best place to enjoy a good cigar is in my living room with friends, sipping a tasty beverage and shooting the :BS

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Hmmmmmm...... my most enjoyable activity is when I get the chance to HERF with other fine BOTL from CS. That's my favorite.... sittin' around talkin' with some other good guys and enjoying the fine pleasures of a warm smoke.

My second favorite activity is watching a movie by myself. This is the activity that happens the most often as the AZ Herf is only every other month or so.... There's nothing quite like sittin on my couch with a Monte 2 in hand and watching a good flick.

And a recent addition to my cigar smoking environment is smoking while watching the water roll by while on the patio of a cruise ship. That's probably the most relaxed I've ever been in my life. Imagine if you will: You've just finished a beautiful fresh breakfast delivered to your room. Fresh fruit and fresh baked bread served with Mimosa's and Bloody Mary's. Now imagine eating a beautiful breakfast out on your private patio in your Suite. Then imagine selecting a fine quality Island smoke and lighting up right after breakfast while you watch the water go by. Ahhhhhh....... Bliss.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I agree with Kanashat for the most part. Smoking outdoors does certainly give a different flavor to some of the cigars, particularly the milder ones. When I smoke outside, I usually do not experiment, but rather smoke something that I am familiar with such as a Punch Rothchild or London Club. When I smoke the "good" cigars, I like to be indoors where I can get a good feel for the quantity and quality of the smoke, as well as smell.

BTW - Kansashat, I've had a chance to smoke some of those sticks you sent me. Those Grand Habanos and ERDMs should have a warning label on them: Do not smoke on an empty stomach. To give you an indication of what I thought of them, I bought ten more yesteday!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.