veteran
656 views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  shawn.knight 
#1 ·
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or
reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to,
and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country
today, who no longer understand that fact.

#4 ·
I have a story for you.

The company I work for is a government contractor. This government contractor takes pride in the fact that they do a lot of charities. I mean a lot of charities. One of them is volunteer work at the local VA hospital.

I was invited to join one of the volunteer "teams" last Thursday for an annual "Flag Day" event. When I was invited, I was asked to wear my uniform. Not wanting to be the only one in uniform, I invited a Navy Reserve Lieutenant that works in my building that I happened to go to high school with (small world).

So we went. I saw all kinds of people in this VA hospital. Young, old, chair bound, head bound, space shots, the whole nine yards. I got to talk to each of them. It was cool. There was one guy that was MacAuther's (sp?) driver. Another that was a boiler tech on an old CG boat (he called me Boats, it was a friggen honor). I enjoyed the aspect of talking to these walking human history lessons. I enjoyed giving them flags and certificates from my company honoring their service. I was humbled by being in the presence of such honorable people.

But I ask you this. If you ever have the chance to go to a VA and volunteer some time, be it just reading a book to someone or better yet, just sit and listen with genuine curiosity and awe, do not do it under the flag of your company, rather, do it under the banner of you heart. I wish I had done it sooner.

#6 ·
I have a story for you.

The company I work for is a government contractor. This government contractor takes pride in the fact that they do a lot of charities. I mean a lot of charities. One of them is volunteer work at the local VA hospital.

I was invited to join one of the volunteer "teams" last Thursday for an annual "Flag Day" event. When I was invited, I was asked to wear my uniform. Not wanting to be the only one in uniform, I invited a Navy Reserve Lieutenant that works in my building that I happened to go to high school with (small world).

So we went. I saw all kinds of people in this VA hospital. Young, old, chair bound, head bound, space shots, the whole nine yards. I got to talk to each of them. It was cool. There was one guy that was MacAuther's (sp?) driver. Another that was a boiler tech on an old CG boat (he called me Boats, it was a friggen honor). I enjoyed the aspect of talking to these walking human history lessons. I enjoyed giving them flags and certificates from my company honoring their service. I was humbled by being in the presence of such honorable people.

But I ask you this. If you ever have the chance to go to a VA and volunteer some time, be it just reading a book to someone or better yet, just sit and listen with genuine curiosity and awe, do not do it under the flag of your company, rather, do it under the banner of you heart. I wish I had done it sooner.
This is the best thing I have read on cigar live in a long time. This is a great story. My son starts 8th grade U.S. History this fall, can't wait to take him to meet some real heroes of America.

#11 ·
I would have loved to stay in the Navy with my fellow sailors but my life called me with my two daughters. If they would not have increased the amount of Sea Time I would have retired from the Navy. I do respect everyone who serves from great to small.

The only thing I want for the forth is for everyone overseas to make it back to their bunk safe. If that happens it will be a great day.

#12 ·
So TRUE, great words...I am retired Air Force and my wife is also a Veteran (served in the desert during the first Gulf War, Desert Shield and Desert Storm). I think we will have a toast and a smoke to all those still serving!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.