Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend leaving for vacation to the Dominican tomorrow and is has agreed to bring me some stogies back. Need some advice on what should I ask for ( not very familiar with Dom cigars) and is it less expensive to purchase down there than in Canada or the U.S.?

Please help!!

poukali :confused:

·
Registered
369 Posts
You know I think I heard something about not being able to find a lot of cigars in the Dominican... My memory is really hazy about that since I read it a while back. The funny thing is that it might be easier to buy Dominican cigars in the US! Hopefully someone else will be able to help you out with specifics and clarify anything if I've got it wrong.

I think the La Aurora/Leon Jimenez factory does tours. Cigars might be available there for purchase.

As for what's available from Dom:

Torano has a factory there
Altadis used to make Henry Clay H2000 there, don't know what'll happen to the Broadleaf HC's...
There's the Fuentes
Avos, Davidoffs, Alec Bradley's multitude of brands [Occidental, Occidental HSG, Criollo 98, Trilogy, Trilogy ovation, "special blend"]
La Gloria Cubanas -- most folks will say the Wavels or the Coronas Gorda, especially in maduro, are good.
El Rico Habano
La Auroa
Leon Jimenez

Oh, there's undoubtedly more. I just don't know what else.

Of these i would go for the Torano stuff (signature line), Henry Clay broad leaf, and the La Glorias first. Most of the rest I don't have that much experience with so others can definitely fill you in.

Good luck!
E

BTW-- isn't there a nasty Canadian customs duty on tobacco in value of over $15?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually we are permitted to bring in 50 cigars upon our return to Canada per person. Thanks for that long list, it is a little disappointing that it is difficult to obtain cigars in the dominican. I had just assumed it was the same as in ISOM.

·
Registered
369 Posts
poukali said:
it is a little disappointing that it is difficult to obtain cigars in the dominican. I had just assumed it was the same as in ISOM.
That's what I remember hearing a few years back. My memory may be failing here but that's why I'm hedging on this. I hope some of the other gorillas who know'll be able to help clarify.

Good luck!

BTW -- Didn't know that about bringing in 50 cigars for personal use without the duty. I tried to get into Canada once and the customs police grilled me about the 6 robustos that I brought with me that came from a bundle brand!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't overlook the La Aurora''s! The Petite Belicoso (cameroon) is one fine cigar & I'm pretty sure those will be obtainable....good luck! & smooth sailing to you.......Barry

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a friend that just returned from D.R. last week. Save your money ! The cigars over there are more expensive than in the U.S. About $20.00/box higher.

He did bring back a few Leon Jimenez that were really well made and an overall quality smoke !

The locals try to push Cuban cigars and rum, rum and more rum !
A lot of the Cuban cigars seemed to be counterfits, so be ware.

Good Luck !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.