Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been smoking cigars occasionally for about 2 years now. Recently though I have developed a real passion for cigars and have been smoking 2-3 cigars a week - mostly VSG's. I just finished an Illusion - just thinking about makes my palate beg
for another!

So hear I am, seeking your opinions. I'm
searching for a "go to" cigar that compares to a VSG. A cigar with similar characteristics like the full taste and smoothness without the harsh aftertaste. VSG's are hard to find and also costly. My wife thinks I'm nuts but I have been spending alot of time (and $) looking for and buying VSG's. In the last month I have corralled nearly 60 VSG sticks!

I am trying other cigars to compare, but I keep going back to the VSG's. I find the Padron Anniversario Maduros similar to the VSG's but not quite as full bodied. But wonderful nonetheless.

In the last month I've tried:

VSG - Robusto, Illusion, Sorcerer, Enchantment, Belicoso
Padron Anniversario Maduro Torpedo, Exclusivo
Padron 3000 Maduro
RyJ Reserve Maduros
CAO Gold's & L'anniversary
Macanudos
Onxy Reserve
Punch Gran Puro
Punch Rare Corojo
Carlos Torano Reserva Select
Partargas Black
Astral Talanga Valley
AVO Signature Belicoso

Your opinions will be apreciated.

Regards,
Russ
Cigar Sergeant

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your spending that kind of money for a goto cigar, I suggest something from the ISOM like a Cohiba Robusto. Always nice!!Anything Padron is a winner for me also.

Welcome to the forum:w

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's easy as the Vsg is one of my "go to" cigars the last couple years. I think what your looking for IMHO is the Perdomo Reserve, in rosado or maduro they are very similar and about a third of the cost:w . Full rich flavor with a tangy sweetness:D , yum, gonna fire one up just talking about it!;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I presume you are speaking of nonCuban cigars. My go-to cigars of the domestic less expensive variety include the Camacho Corojo (especially the diploma but these are a bit more expensive than the regular line) and the La Gloria Series R. You might also check out the new Fonseca limiteds which are wonderful and gaining a lot of fans.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Welcome aboard the board cigar sergeant, your taste in cigars will quickly be ramped up in the jungle here! :w Looks like you've tried some good smokes the past month! I would try a CAO Brazilia along with some of the others suggested above. If your looking for pure power, Joya de Nicaraugua Anto 1970s' will put you to the test! Both inexpensive alternatives to Ashton VSGs. Lord Hammers' got me searching for them Perdomos now. It never ends....always fun though.

Watchout for Habanos Madness, your in a vulnerable area, outbreaks of this occur here very frequently !:r

Attachments

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
welcome to cs cs...

i have to agree with cashcow on the diplomas... they are THE best domestic cigar. the first half tastes like it was made by the old man (DAR) himself, very rich and close to isom- the only problem is the 2nd half tastes like it was made by sid vicious- kick ass strong with no flavor... just like beating your head against a wall.

another domestic i used to smoke a lot was the ERDM robusto (tissue wrapped, comes in 3 sizes, large, larger, largest) ... it's been a long time since i've had one but i remember them as being very nice smokes at a reasonable price.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hey Cigar Sargeant,

Welcome to the club.
What can I say about good suggestions? Well, most everybody had beatne me to a good answer [what an informed bunch of herfs we are].
SO, JUST RELAX, SIT BACK, AND ENJOY! IT'S A DOOSEY OF A RIDE.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think La Gloria Wavell Natural is in the same line of profile. Not quite as full bodied, flavorful or smooth as VSG though. It's much less expensive and I love it for everyday cigar. Also, AF Sun Grown may be close. Made by the same company Fuente with similar wrapper and blend I think. It's harsher than VSG and need extra aging.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've not found anything that maps really close to the VSG profile - certainly a few approximates as have been mentioned above. This is a great cigar, and actually produced in less quantity than Opus X, so consider yourself lucky if you enjoy these, and can find them regularly.

This was my go-to cigar since they initially came out - bought my first box of them in early 2001.

After paying $200-300+ a box for these for quite some time, I decided to just invest in imported products where I could get twice the amount of quality smokes.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Welcome Cigar Sargeant:
A contributing factor to the flavor of the VSG is the "sun grown"
Wrapper. You may wish to seek out other cigars with this wrapper. Fuente makes a reasonbly priced cigar in a sun grown wrapper. I can not recall which line however, perhaps the chateau. Good Luck and let us know.
Bruce5

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the jungle. Great suggestions have already been made. Someone mentioned La Gloria Cubana Wavell in natural. I'm more partial to the maduro version of that cigar. Probably my favorite Dominican smoke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts