Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During cigar lighting, making sure that you take time ensuring it is properly and even lit (pre-toasting, not too quick, rotating the cigar, etc...), and everything you do is correct (slowly smoking, unburnt portion at the bottom)...

how do you know what caused the uneven/bad burn (Tobbaco leaves, wrapper, construction, humidity, odd bad stick, cheap brand)?

How many degrees of deviation do you consider an "uneven burn" (0 degrees being a perfect even burn)?

Does the side of the cigar facing the humidifier in the humidor (more humid side) cause uneven burn as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not an expert in any sense of the word, but I would think most burn problems are the result of construction issues, the faster burning portion of the cigar being looser with consequently greater draw and O2 supply creating more chimney effect and hence, the infamous running and canoeing that can ruin our good smokes. Frank B

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
ju1c3r said:
During cigar lighting, making sure that you take time ensuring it is properly and even lit (pre-toasting, not too quick, rotating the cigar, etc...), and everything you do is correct (slowly smoking, unburnt portion at the bottom)...

how do you know what caused the uneven/bad burn (Tobbaco leaves, wrapper, construction, humidity, odd bad stick, cheap brand)?

How many degrees of deviation do you consider an "uneven burn" (0 degrees being a perfect even burn)?

Does the side of the cigar facing the humidifier in the humidor (more humid side) cause uneven burn as well?

Thanks
Hey ju,

I think you're probably right on all these points. Many causes of uneven burn.

What I find helps when a cigar starts to burn unevenly is holding it (between puffs) in the vertical position with the ash pointed up. In cigars w/ small amount uneven burn I fuind that this helps. But sometimes when the uneven burn is too extreme I just throw the cigar out ( :c ) & light a new one.

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
I´ve only had like 2 cigars that began to have an uneven burn. Is it wrong or can affect flavor to use the lighter to burn the unburnt side so it gets even again? i did it once with no problems, but i just new on this.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
A couple of weeks back I was smoking a RASS when I noticed that the flavor was changing on me in a way I didn't like. I looked down to see what's going on & noticed that the burn had become VERY uneven, to such a degree that I think it may have been affecting the flavor.

A lot of herfs I know frequently touch up a cigar to insure an even burn. Whether or not you like doing that, I think it's more of a personal preference. Personally, I use a torch type lighter to "touch up" and even the burn of the cigar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I find that your general smoking area can also affect it. I noticed that if there were a breeze from a fan, or the wind if I was outide, that it affected the quality of the burn. I also believe that the condition of the cigar will determine the consistency of the burn.

I also like the torch lighter for a "touch up". I see no problem with correcting a poor burn so as to not waste the cigar.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey ju,

I think you're probably right on all these points. Many causes of uneven burn.

What I find helps when a cigar starts to burn unevenly is holding it (between puffs) in the vertical position with the ash pointed up. In cigars w/ small amount uneven burn I fuind that this helps. But sometimes when the uneven burn is too extreme I just throw the cigar out ( :c ) & light a new one.
Whatever the cause may have been, if the uneven burn begins immediately after lighting and appears to be worsening regardless of any steps made to correct it, rather than toss out the cigar, take your cutter and completely cut off the offending tobacco and try a relight. You may end up losing only an inch or so, and if you were fortunate enough to be smoking a Londsdale or Churchill, you could possibly end up with a good 30 min. of smoking time.

However, if the burn problem was the result of poor construction it will probably only continue after the re-lite, but if the cause was a poor lite to begin with, if lit correctly the second time, things should be fine.:tu

F. Prefect

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I read somewhere that rotating your sticks is good but never do it.

I have never smoked a Pepin that didn't give me burn problems although they are tasty

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
A couple of weeks back I was smoking a RASS when I noticed that the flavor was changing on me in a way I didn't like. I looked down to see what's going on & noticed that the burn had become VERY uneven, to such a degree that I think it may have been affecting the flavor.

A lot of herfs I know frequently touch up a cigar to insure an even burn. Whether or not you like doing that, I think it's more of a personal preference. Personally, I use a torch type lighter to "touch up" and even the burn of the cigar.
When the flavor goes "off" on a cigar I'm smoking, I always touch up the wrapper and the flavor comes back, 99.9% of the time. Generally, the cigar has just started tunneling. The ash may look good but, if you tap it off, you'll see the wrapper is not keeping up. I smoke maduros and I think these problems happen more often with them than other wrappers.

WyoBob

·
SLAP-HAPPY PAPPY
1,049 Posts
For myself, I noticed that where you're smoking has a lot to do with it too. Now that it's starting to get a lot colder, when you take a nice cigar outside, it will effect the cigar. I've had a couple of cigars crack on me, and I started to get really upset. What I do now is let the stogie sit for awhile in the area that I will be smoking it in. I have not had any issues since I started doing this. :ss

I think this would make a big difference for a lot of smokers that live in areas of high humidity too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What causes charring? I have noticed when I start some cigars (and it is usually my cheaper ones, my better (or at least more expensive ones) seem to have this problem less) I get a foul taste, and if I stub it a little one side (and sometimes the entire face) is charred black. I usually clip the section out (luckily? it seems to happen mostly to my longer cigars so I usually have plenty left) and it is fine after that.

·
www.Cigarmony.com!
1,883 Posts
What causes charring?
Holding your torch lighter too close when lighting is the typical cause. You should let the heat of the flame light your cigar and not the flame itself :tu

Most of the burn problems I have ever experienced (16+ years) are typically from improper RH levels (usually over humidification). Since switching to 65% RH 9+ years ago the only burn problems I have (rare at that) are construction issues and when smoking in very cold (eg dry) climates.

I hope this helps

~Mark

·
Registered
853 Posts
In my experience two things have effected the burn more than anything else:

1. Environment (as previously noted). I prefer smoking outside. If it's cold, or damp, or a steady breeze, all of these effect the cigar and rotating will help it. You're smoking a bunch of leaves tightly rolled that are literally burning. We tend not to think about the fact that wind and wet effect a campfire...the laws of physics still apply to cigars. Rotate rotate rotate, and try to keep a regular draw.

2. Construction. BOTLs attending the most recent WNY Herf can attest to this fact. I toasted my stick with a torch and then sat back to light away. The initial light itself was inexplicably uneven. I got about 1/2" in and one side simply took off. I was attempting to rate this cigar for someone else so I wanted to give it a fair chance. The canoeing was ridiculous (over and inch and a half) even with touch ups from two torches and matches. Despite the constant yells of "CUT IT!!!" from the brothers, I carried on attempting to let it right itself. Finally I put it out, broke out the sharpest pocket knife I own, and scrubbed in. I cut from the moist end to the hot end and unrolled to find the long filler to be rolled with insane tightness on one side, and a spongy loose roll on the other side. The center of the stick was WAY off...almost all the way to the wrapper.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Holding your torch lighter too close when lighting is the typical cause. You should let the heat of the flame light your cigar and not the flame itself :tu

~Mark
That is what I am told, just think its odd it seems to happen to my middle priced cigars, maybe I just take the time to light my good cigars better? :) though it seems sometimes that I can take some effort to light nicely and some still char, I was wondering if there might be a more environmental reason.

·
Silverback
406 Posts
I catch myself rotating the cigar in my fingers between draws. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I rarely have burn issues. And being a humble Printer, With twins in daycare, and child support to boot. I don't smoke the top shelf hand mades. A $5 Edge is top shelf
:ss Brian

·
Registered
540 Posts
I catch myself rotating the cigar in my fingers between draws. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I rarely have burn issues. And being a humble Printer, With twins in daycare, and child support to boot. I don't smoke the top shelf hand mades. A $5 Edge is top shelf
:ss Brian
Rotating can help as will keeping the faster burning part of the cigar on top while slowing down your rate of puffing. I know this probably sounds bass ackwards but by keeping the faster burning part of top, smoke from the tobacco buning on the bottom will deprive the top of oxygen. If that fails try wetting your finger tip a putting a little saliva on the faster burning part of the stick. It may not be something you would want to do in public,:ss but it will work in all but the very worst of cases.:tu

F. Prefect

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.