Cigar Forums banner

761 - 780 of 823 Posts

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
Rather than name all books I'll name author and series.

Scott lynch, gentleman bastards series.
Brent weeks, night angel, and light bringer.
Jim butcher, Dresden files, and codex ALERA.
Brandon Sanderson, mistborn (2 series in that currently), and stormlight archive.
Brian McClellan, powder mage trilogy.
Joe Abercrombie, first law trilogy.
Brian staveley, unhewn throne series.
Django wexler, shadow campaigns.

That should get you started, and that's just off the top of my head. If any of those sound good to you... check them out on goodreads and let me know, I have most of those in digital format and some audio.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Scott Lynch TBR (on my to be read list already)
Brent weeks check
Jim butcher check
Brandon Sanderson check
Brian McClellan TBR
Joe Abercrombie added to TBR
Brian Staveley TBR
django Wexler TBR

I'll never finish my to be read list, I cut about 40 books from it not long ago and still more I need to cut.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Scott Lynch TBR (on my to be read list already)
Brent weeks check
Jim butcher check
Brandon Sanderson check
Brian McClellan TBR
Joe Abercrombie added to TBR
Brian Staveley TBR
django Wexler TBR

I'll never finish my to be read list, I cut about 40 books from it not long ago and still more I need to cut.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You sound like me. My TBR list is miles long in small type.

·
Banned
4,066 Posts
@TexaSmoke, what did you think of Ender's Game?
I finished the book and re-watched the movie. The book started a little slow for me, but really developed into a great story. I enjoyed it much more than the movie, which left much to be desired. Then final battle was pretty awesome to watch, but the rest was lackluster. @Alrightdriver was kind enough to send me digital copies quite a few of the Ender books. I will definitely read them all after I read this one. I started it yesterday and at the pace I'm going, I should be finished tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I finished the book and re-watched the movie. The book started a little slow for me, but really developed into a great story. I enjoyed it much more than the movie, which left much to be desired. Then final battle was pretty awesome to watch, but the rest was lackluster. @Alrightdriver was kind enough to send me digital copies quite a few of the Ender books. I will definitely read them all after I read this one. I started it yesterday and at the pace I'm going, I should be finished tomorrow.
He sent me the same ones. I'm almost finished with Ender's Game. It's the only one from the series that I've read and it's been about 10 years. I'm looking forward to reading the rest. As a side note, I found it interesting that the version he sent us is the original text from the 1985 edition. It was edited in '91 or '92 for some factual and societal changes. Pre '90s hardcover copies of the book are hard to come by. I'm not exactly into collection first editions, but that is a book that I'd like to own.

·
Banned
4,066 Posts
He sent me the same ones. I'm almost finished with Ender's Game. It's the only one from the series that I've read and it's been about 10 years. I'm looking forward to reading the rest. As a side note, I found it interesting that the version he sent us is the original text from the 1985 edition. It was edited in '91 or '92 for some factual and societal changes. Pre '90s hardcover copies of the book are hard to come by. I'm not exactly into collection first editions, but that is a book that I'd like to own.
Very cool. The one I read is the revised edition. There is a long preface that talks about it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Day By Day: Armageddon by JL Bourne

One of the best zombie apocalypse series in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Little over halfway through and really enjoying this one.
Hard to go wrong with Sanderson, I've read most and only elantris was a hard read, but still a good book. The mistborn books are my favorite. I have this one in my list, just haven't got to it yet.

·
Banned
4,066 Posts
Hard to go wrong with Sanderson, I've read most and only elantris was a hard read, but still a good book. The mistborn books are my favorite. I have this one in my list, just haven't got to it yet.

I started it yesterday morning and I've already finished. It was an awesome read. I'll definitely look at his other stuff and the rest of this series.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Be forewarned the rest of the ender books, aside from the enders shadow series, are not at all like enders game. They are more philosophical, and exploring the nature of people... it's hard science fiction, less action and more contemplating. Fantastic reads no matter what, but didn't want you to go in expecting lots of action. I don't want to ruin anything by giving specific examples, I'll just say be prepared for it to go in directions you would never think it would based on the first book.

·
Banned
4,066 Posts
Be forewarned the rest of the ender books, aside from the enders shadow series, are not at all like enders game. They are more philosophical, and exploring the nature of people... it's hard science fiction, less action and more contemplating. Fantastic reads no matter what, but didn't want you to go in expecting lots of action. I don't want to ruin anything by giving specific examples, I'll just say be prepared for it to go in directions you would never think it would based on the first book.

That's fine with me. I like philosophical and contemplative.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I started it yesterday morning and I've already finished. It was an awesome read. I'll definitely look at his other stuff and the rest of this series.
His mistborn, both the original trilogy, and the second era books are some of the best fantasy novels out there, and the magic systems are fantastic, he has a set of rules for creating magic systems to ensure they have clearly defined limits etc... none of the Gandalf type where you are never sure what he can do or can't do. It also stops the deus ex machina crutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love Lucy, this book will take you back to not only her youth but her early days in modeling, radio and then beyond I love Lucy to her divorce from Desi and her triumphant role as the first woman President of a production company. Lucy and is so much more than just her Television show and hearing it in her words is a must read.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Just finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. It was really good. Currently listening to No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. I like to listen to Cormac McCarthy books rather than reading them because of the horrible grammar. Let the narrator figure out who's talking lol. Currently reading Bird Box by Josh Malerman. I bought it on sale a long time before the Netflix version was out and decided to give it a try. Very good (and creepy) so far.

·
Banned
2,816 Posts
American Assassin by Vince Flynn, the first book of the Mitch Rapp series. CIA, espionage, counter-terrorism stuff. I've read a few from that line over the years, figured its time to go back and start at the beginning.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
"The Other Side of the Hill" by B.H. Liddell Hart. Couldn't find a reasonably priced used copy in the US so I ended up ordering it from the UK. Very interesting book.

·
Banned
2,816 Posts
On to book 2 of Mitch Rapp's career! Capture+_2019-02-01-07-06-15_1549022900992.png

·
Banned
1,720 Posts
I just finished the 5th and last book of Dean Koontz' Frankenstein series on Audible. Now I'm onto Blood Hunt by Jack Harvey (who is really early Ian Rankin).
All of these books I read a long time ago but, they were good so I figured listening to them would be like a movie adaptation where nothing is left out...oh and there's no visuals.
I'm really likeing Audible though. It's nice to have ot read to me so I can drive or whatever.

·
Banned
4,066 Posts
I just finished the 5th and last book of Dean Koontz' Frankenstein series on Audible. Now I'm onto Blood Hunt by Jack Harvey (who is really early Ian Rankin).

All of these books I read a long time ago but, they were good so I figured listening to them would be like a movie adaptation where nothing is left out...oh and there's no visuals.

I'm really likeing Audible though. It's nice to have ot read to me so I can drive or whatever.
There were 5 books in that series? I bought 3 in a garage sale a few months back and read through them in a few days. Now I need to look for the other 2!
Mind.....blown....

761 - 780 of 823 Posts