Cigar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the education of those of us who are still working towards our first Cuban...

Could some one post a picture (or link to one) of the Cuban "Tripple cap" ? I've heard this before but have a hard time picturing it.

(putting it next to fake or DR stogie for comparison would be cool too)

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome

Hey thanks that's very helpful!!

I see two distinct lines above the words. Is the third right on the shoulder? Or am I still missing it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
They should unless its a torpedo or belicoso shape, then its harder to spot.

Keep in mind a triple cap is not the "guarantee" one would hope it to be. Seen fakes with triple caps too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Well thanks very much again.
I just found an article on www.CigarNexus.com with lots of good info.

Lots of good reading there actually.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
RE: Question

As you may have found out, if you're interested in telling authentic from counterfeit (in boxes), the Cigar Nexus site has excellent articles on how to do just that. Lots of good insightful information.

Another article that I posted on CS a few months back is

http://www.cubanbest.com/cubancigarnewsletter5.htm#cubanarticle5

Now I'm not sure about the authenticity or the source of this article (kinda' funny don't you think), but it sure was an eye opener for me. You might enjoy reading it as well.

Still another good source, as you know, is Poker himself. He is a Master Yoda in the cigar loving world. I agree with what he said. I've seen a lot of counterfeits that looked very legit. Used to get some really great quality counterfeit stuff (I knew they were counterfeit & he even told me so, but the quality was really good) from a Jamaican dealers a number of years back. No lying they smoked really great & he never claimed that they were factory made, but service was very unpredictable and I got ripped off a couple of times (paid full price for stuff that was short filler!!!). Glad to say I steer clear of him now and have warned others about him.

Still, the best source for the leaf is an authentic Habanos dealer, and over time you'll find that there are many reputable ones around the world that you can have a relationship with.

One last thing. I have a friend in Merrylund (MD) who gets his Cuban cigars from an importer in NJ. Claims they're incredibly good tasting and very authentic. Beware! The US still has an ongoing embargo against the Republic of Cuba, so authentic stuff can not be imported. Unscrupulous dealers can often times get away with selling counterfeit cigars openly (you can actually see that at some shops in South Beach, Miami, FL) claiming them to be Cuban but if questioned by an ATF agent all they need to show is show their receipts from the DR (Dominican Republic) or Mexico. I don't think there's a law in the US about selling counterfeit (non Cuban) cigars, so buyer beware. Now back to my friend, the last time I was at his house he showed me an "authentic" box of Fonseca Churchills. It even came in vacuum sealed plastic wrap (what you often see in domestic cigar shops). He was very proud of it [ :r :w ]. Funny thing is Fonseca makes only 5 Vitolas and they're all in the corona size range but I won't tell him that . . . how's that saying go, "there's bliss in ignorance."

Well, that's my 2 cents worth for the day. Enjoy Cigarguy!!

MoTheMan

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
P.S. The article mentioned above starts about a third of the was down the page.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Read

Yeah I'd seen that article. Very good read.
Thanks for posting it here.

What a great forum here! Thanks for all the help.
When I'm finally ready to make that first Cuban purchase I will feel much better about things. :)

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
So I wrote to CubanBest to inquire about the authenticity of their Counterfeit Cuban Article & got this reply. Still stands on its own two feet if you ask me.

MoTheMan

I originally found this article through one of the search engines - it could have been About.com. It was only ever signed by someone called "Rod", but I believe he was associated in some way with Ajax cigars (in Ontario).

I kept the article around for quite some time and showed it to the owner here (who is a veteran Cuban traveller), and while vehemently agreeing with everything in it, he went even further to add: "the counterfeit industry in Cuba is bigger and more organised than the genuine Cuban cigar industry, to the point of ANY cigar not bought from a Government-licensed merchant in Cuba being a guaranteed fake."

The article as posted here is not in it's original form - when I finally decided to post it on our site, I gave it an extensive grammar, sentence structure and continuity/context makeover.

While I can't verify the absolute authenticity of this story, I'm convinced (by extrapolation of talking to others with experience) that this is very typical of how things go. Sorry I can't provide a better verifiable source, however, we've heard so many accounts over the years that are so similar to this one, I have no doubt of its sincerity.

Regards,

--Gord

www.CubanBest.com

www.CigarConnoisseurs.com

At you wrote:

I am very curious about the article on counterfeit Cuban cigars in your April 2003 newsletter. It was a real eye opener and couldn't emphasize more how important it is to have an authentic source for Havanas. I was just wondering who the author was & form where did they obtain all their information -- mostly just to validate the article.

Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts