Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year at this time I tell myself that I'm going to lose all this weight. Going to get out of the chair and move; going to eat right. Well, it usually lasts until about the 3rd. But now due to age and growing health concerns, I have to do something. No putting it off anymore. Was just wondering if anybody else was going through the same thing. Any success stories? Any tips or helpful hints? Is anybody else struggling? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I turned 40 this year, and would love to hear any suggestions as well. Fact of the matter is, I think it is as simple as burning ore calories than you consume. In other words, I need to move more and eat less!

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
pds said:
I turned 40 this year, and would love to hear any suggestions as well. Fact of the matter is, I think it is as simple as burning ore calories than you consume. In other words, I need to move more and eat less!
It is all about motivation. I need to lose weight too and I'm NOT motivated.

You know what worked on another board was a little wager among friends.
Scouts honor applied. I think it was set up sort of like a skins game where theere was a weekly weigh-in, a paypal account used for the wagers. Weekly weight loss winner got the pot, a tie carried the pot over, I think it went on for 12 weeks or something.

Anybody interested in a little competitive weight loss?

·
Registered
258 Posts
catfishm2 said:
Every year at this time....same thing. Any success stories? Any tips or helpful hints? Is anybody else struggling? Thanks in advance!
Lets see about 3 years ago I was pushing 250lbs. OUCH.... So I finally had enough, I had to do something. I noticed that a couple I knew lost a ton of weight, so I inquired. The plan they told me was simple, and following it I lost 70 lbs, and have kept it off for the past 2 years.

Here it is, its very simple.

I keep track of all of the calories I ate throughout the day, and cut myself off when I hit my limit. For a 30yr male my max caloric intake to sustain my current wait is 2500 calories/day. So any calories above 2500 I gain, under 2500 I loose. Because 1 pound of FAT equates to ~3400 calories, I stuck to 1500 calories a day. Lets see that is 1000 calories under my max per day * 7 days a week = 7000 calories or ~2 lbs or wieght loss per week. OK. I stuck with it for about 9 to 10 months and yes. It really started dropping off fast.

Here are a few tips.
-Get a good calorie program like Vivonic Fitness Planner (pc, palm,etc.)
-Drink a lot of water (it speeds up metabolism, faster weight loss)
-Drink a lot of water before you eat (it fills you up, you eat less)
-Drink a lot of water (its good for you)
-Drink a lot of water (0 calories)
-Moderate exercies, I walk about 8 to 10 miles a day. ~100 calories per mile walked. If you walk 10 miles * 100 cal/mile =1000 calories. So you can subtract that off of your daily total, and eat an extra 1000 calories that day :)
-Eating simple foods will also help. Avoid fast food, grease, etc.
-Eat well balanced meals
-Killer foods
1 Pops ~140 cals
1 Beer ~140 cals
1 Wine ~150 cals

-Good foods, any green vegtables are typically LOW in cals. FILL up on green vegtables that don't taste that great and then finish the meal with some small portion of something that tastes great

The first two weeks are the worst after that, its easy. Your body will change, trust me. You will no longer crave the crap. It will almost disgust you. I have help about 10 people now and they were all EXTREMELY successful. It also helps if the wife, family follow this. Get those kids into this now and they will live a much healthier life.

Any questions PM me.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I mentioned this recently in a different thread, but I'll repeat myself here. I strongly recommend The South Beach Diet. I know it looks like one of them low-carb fad diets, but it really worked for me. I took off 25 lb (put 5 back on, but hey, the pants still fit, so I don't care). More importantly, it took my cholesterol way down. My dr was threatening to start me on drugs, and he was amazed that my numbers came down so much.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I don't remember the name of the plan, but I lost 35 pounds and was eating 6 to 8 times a day. If you have ever watched Extreme Makeover, the plan was by the guy that is on there. It works great and you eat very well, it basically cuts out dairy, sugar and sodium. I'll try to find the name and post it later.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don you may be referring to the Body for Life Diet by Bill Phillips, Try reading the Body for Life book and there is also a cookbook by Bill Phillips I think it is Eating for Life. I was on this diet(lifestyle) until my motorcycle wreck a year ago and it was working great for me! If it peaks any intrest for anyone there is a free day each week incleded in the program.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
I think you may be right Red, the free day was part of this plan. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good book, it kept me going, plus the cookbook has some stuff that I actually want to eat. Anything would be better than my 6-7 Dr Pepper habit a day right now though. I am trying to get back on the wagon myself.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
My wife and I are trying the NO Sugar,,No Flour diet..You are not giving up all that much so we will stick with it..Been on it for a month and lost about 4 lbs..

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
day 1 of my diet. notgoing to bad. need to lose 30 lbs. I weigh 207. I should weigh 175 -180. :SM

Got up at 4;15 AM AN ran for 40 minutes .... well jogged and walked for 40 minutes. going to do the same tonight. Want to work out at least an hour a day.

Maybe we should all keep checking in every week with the amount of weight lost to keep motivated.??

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
drc said:
I mentioned this recently in a different thread, but I'll repeat myself here. I strongly recommend The South Beach Diet. I know it looks like one of them low-carb fad diets, but it really worked for me. I took off 25 lb (put 5 back on, but hey, the pants still fit, so I don't care). More importantly, it took my cholesterol way down. My dr was threatening to start me on drugs, and he was amazed that my numbers came down so much.
I was half on this diet and lost ten. It's not that hard of a diet and you are on a strict regime only the initial two weeks. Also it helps to be dieting with someone.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Redman said:
Don you may be referring to the Body for Life Diet by Bill Phillips, Try reading the Body for Life book and there is also a cookbook by Bill Phillips I think it is Eating for Life. I was on this diet(lifestyle) until my motorcycle wreck a year ago and it was working great for me! If it peaks any intrest for anyone there is a free day each week incleded in the program.
this is kind of ironic.

back in '98 and before, i worked out every afternoon after work (5 days a week) and ran at the end of my workout for about 10-20 minutes (that's after the 1 hour weightlifting).

well, i met my summer goal early (july 3rd, so halfway through the summer) and the next day, i crashed MY motorcycle... that was almost 6 years ago...

i weighed 205 lbs, not much fat at all, and could bench 250 for reps, then go toss up 90lb dumbells for reps, which were my goals. i wasn't worried about the strength in my legs, as i could easily leg press 700+, but wasn't a big fan of squating (although i knew i could do a lot, based on what the guys i worked out with could do).

anyway... now i can barely run without pain thanks to the crash, my back hurts so bad.

but, TODAY, actually, JUST HOURS AGO, i got home from buying a treadmill (my wife use to have one in her basement before we got married), and i'm going to order a bowflex tomorrow. i don't workout NOW (after i got married and had a son of my own) because of time. i always feel like i have to come home to see them due to the amount of time i'm gone with my job.

anyway, she's got some co-workers (nurses and drs) who have all done the "bill phillips" thing, and she wants to try it. funny thing is, when we were dating, i would mix up the shakes that made the "body for life" thing famous, i even had the t-shirt (have a photo of me with it on before my accident), and she would make fun of me.... now she's got the books the cookbook, etc. i just need to change jobs so we can do it together.

anyway, i don't know how much i weigh, but it's around 210-215. my arms are a lot smaller (i use to stretch out my t-shirts), and my legs are sticks (compared to when i had to wear boxers only because i couldn't pull up briefs past my thighs - they were too big)...

so.... i have no problems working out, if given the time, which i don't seem to have much of. i also need to get my wife into BUYING healthy foods instead of junk food for our son. i find myself eating them BEFORE he can get ahold of them, like i'm trying to protect him from eating it or something... once again, comes back to "time". i could cook healthy foods if i felt i had time....

i guess it's TIME to make TIME, huh?

good luck guys. it's the only life we get (unless you're buddhist). and my OLD signature line.... "our days are never coming back."

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
I used to work out 4-5 times a week for around 1 hour and a half alternating between cardio (running) and lifting. But for the last 2 months I haven't been to the gym once because of transportation problems (my Harley needed repair).

But now that the transportation problem is solved I'm going to start going back. However, I did notice that in the 2 months that I didn't work out I gained like 10 lbs and just feel horrible, my energy levels have dropped and I'm tired far more often than usual. Working out really is healthy for you and believe it or not it actually increases your energy levels.

I'm only 5'6 but I weigh around 190. I'm a stocky guy. My normal or ideal weight is around 175-180 and that's when I feel I'm at my healthiest. My fiance' got a juicer for X-Mas so we've started juicing anything and everything. I think that mixed with the regular workout routine will get me back in the shape I'm used to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
IHT we seem to be in about the same boat here. Whan my wife and i met I was on the Lord's Gym Compition team, had shirts swelling at the seams and all that and now it seems like the only part of my shirt swelling is the middle stomach area. I am about to decide that it is time for all that to change. BTW I think you will enjoy the Bowflex, I have a Crossbow which is similar but just not as expensive and I really like it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
catfishm2 said:
Every year at this time I tell myself that I'm going to lose all this weight. Going to get out of the chair and move; going to eat right. Well, it usually lasts until about the 3rd. But now due to age and growing health concerns, I have to do something. No putting it off anymore. Was just wondering if anybody else was going through the same thing. Any success stories? Any tips or helpful hints? Is anybody else struggling? Thanks in advance!
I went through the same thing last year. I was only 38 but overweight and out of shape. I've always been in pretty good shape, very active and athletic so it was hard for me to see myself in this condition. We lost our 2 year old son in February of 2002 and the depression set in. I gained tons of weight and didn't really ever feel like doing anything. I finally wised up and went to my doctor and he started me on some diet pills for the first two months to help get me started. I didn't do much more excersise but started getting more involved with outdoor things and staying busy. I lost 87 pounds last year just by staying active and watching the size of portions I was eating. I bought a new dog so I would have a walking partner and now life is better.
Just hang in and keep going foward, I always set goals at each 15 lbs I lost and would treat myself to something nice so it kept me interested in loosing the weight.
I now coach my sons baseball team, president of our minor league, coach our high school track teams and help coach our jr pro wrestling team. I don't have time to eat now......HA!!!
Just keep a positive outlook and a long term goal.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Man, these holidays have been horrible for my physique and emotional well-being! Like others have said, when I eat crappy and don't work out I feel absolutely horrible. I'm tired, lethargic, and overall just feel bad. :hn I think the key to weightloss is being active. The best diet is one you can live with. Eat nutrient dense foods which are minimally processed. Vegetables, fruits, whole-grain breads, and lean sources of protein. One can of soda has 11 teaspoons of sugar! Tons of empty calories.

It's wierd, I know how to lose weight but sometimes my appetite overwhelms me and I feel like I have no control over what I eat. It seems to happen when I'm not working out. I think my key is to keep active and then I crave better foods for me. It's probably stress related.

SB

·
Registered
145 Posts
I too have become a fat slob in the past few years. While in college and still in shape I weighed around 200-205. I am now between 225 and 230 and carrying around 20% body fat. I used to have a 32” waist and it has now expanded to 38”. So basically all of the weight I put on has gone to my gut. This is a huge increase in health risk versus someone who distributes weight across their body, so I know I need to get busy.

I have just started writing down some rules for weight loss, such as I can’t buy any more cigars until I weigh under 210. No more cokes or beer, and the only time I drink alcohol is on the weekend. I am going to cut back to around 1500 to 2000 calories a day. And I need to get off of my fat but an exercise some. I have a membership to a local gym but haven’t been in about 3 months. Every time I go I leave feeling great and say I need to keep going but can’t seem to get back into the groove. I work 4/10 hour days and the only way I can go is if I make it on my 3 days off. And I need to start walking some when I get home. It has been warmer her in TN the past week or so, so I don’t have an excuse.

Back when I was in shape I would have never thought I would look the way I do today. It is funny how things change and priorities get pushed aside. But I know that I need to reevaluate my priorities not only for aesthetics but for health. I know that if I can get active again it will help reduce some stress and give me more energy.

The biggest thing is motivation. Getting started is easy enough but staying in there is the challenge. The hardest time is between when you start and when you meet your first goal. After you meet a goal the motivations comes more and more easily. Other than that it always helps to have some motivation from a friend so I agree that it would be a great idea to have a post where we can list our progress and encourage others, maybe even place some bets (cigars) to make it more interesting. If anyone is interested lets get this thing started!!

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to everyone for their tips and motivation! This has to be a lifestyle change for me; not just a diet to shed some pounds.Started walking last night, so I've taken the first step. I also need to do some weight training, as I know the body can start using muscle as fuel instead of fat if there's to drastic a cutback. Going to the bookstore this weekend and checkout some of the books you guys recommended. One thing I have done is stop eating after 7:00PM. I was a big snacker while watching TV. Good luck to everyone. It would be interesting to know your progress in a month or so. Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Redman said:
Good book, it kept me going, plus the cookbook has some stuff that I actually want to eat. Anything would be better than my 6-7 Dr Pepper habit a day right now though. I am trying to get back on the wagon myself.
I never thought I'd meet anyone with the same addiction!!! We could start a support group!!! :cool:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.