Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody..... it's been a long time. A lot has been going on.....

As some of you know, I had given up my day job to become a full time humidor builder. That was in February.... Well, in March I cut my thumb pretty good and the balance of the summer presented family issues which warranted my relocation back to my home state of Minnesota. This caused some serious - hmmmmmm, slow down time, for me and I've been laying low until I've been able to assemble the right team for "my vision".

Since I've been in Minnesota, I have reconnected and have put together a humidor / accessory team which will be kicking off very soon.....

We are coming out with a production model that should be on hand and available at any given time. This humidor will be 16" x 12" x 8" and be ready to ship no later than November 15th.... and subsequent builds to follow to accommodate, what I hope, to be a good market.

I will be taking on wine cooler trays, travel humidors and pipe racks.... Heck, I'll even have the capability to come to your home and build a smoking room....

My team exists of:

Myself - Custom Humidor Builder

Terri (aka Folly Rocks) - customer service and sales. Terri is my gal in SC and she's trying to work her way back to me here in MN... so please, get with Folly Rocks... she'll be happy to work with you.... Terri knows me and knows my goals and most of all, our capabilities.

Mark - Customer Service and sales you will be seeing more of Mark in the future..... I hope. Mark is well connected in the wood working arena and is a marketing expert.

Bob - Bob will be my production model builder. Bob has an extensive, production oriented shop and I will be spending the next few days with him building the first batch of 10 humidors. From there, Bob will be building the production models. I will be doing strictly customs.

Marv - Marv is an experienced woodworker who has spent the last 20 years building kitchen cabinets. Marv is getting older now and is wanting out of the cabinet biz because they just get to be too darn big to handle. Marv will be my Spanish Cedar guy handing the lining and tray work for my customs, any accessory trays for the production models as well as our highly anticipated winedor work.

Jim - Jim is a childhood friend of mine who is also a skilled woodworker and he will be working with me, Marv or Bob - or maybe even in your home doing the smoking rooms. Basically, any where he is needed....

Jerry - Jerry is my laser guy, as always and is a valued member of our team.

Bob, with his production capabilities, will also be supplying me with the 1/4" spanish cedar that I need. This will keep me from wasting valuable time milling spanish cedar. It'll be there for me to draw from. Same thing with the wine coolers....

So...now that all this footwork and stuff is organized in my head - it's time for me to get busy doing what I do.

So.... with that being said - I hope to hear from ya'all! Feel free to chat with Terri if you have any questions... I'll be in the shop.... I hope between Terri & Mark they will be able to keep everybody as updated as ya wanna be!

Take a look at my website to see more of what's going on.

Good to be back....

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This will be my 1st "Postal Fraud," suit, so at least it'll be interesting.

I had really expected a trivial transaction.

6 months for $30?

Annoyed

Joe:hail:
Yep - this will be good. The envelope that I got from Joe was addressed to Joseph B. - and Joseph B. is not me. I have the envelope unopened and will turn it over to the post office in the morning.

It was in a box of office stuff that was moved when I moved..... Sorry 'bout the $30 Joe, but... the post office will handle it tomorrow, I'm sure. I just dug it out of the box it was in and the USPS will be my first stop in the morning to have them do what the must with young Joseph B.'s envelope....

Sorry for the miscue - but it'll be handed over to the Post Office tomorrow - zip code 56007. Not sure if they'll open it and fix it or not... but, it'll be out of my hands.

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello everybody... today was a very busy day in the shop....and it was all business!

We had a great time working on the first 10 production humidors - and they will be humidors tomorrow! Not quite ready for shipping, as I am waiting for the hinging hardware to arrive.... but, that's all that will remain after tomorrow....

Some pics to introduce the cast of characters..... and finally, the progress...

This is Bob Stevermer - Bob will be handling the production models and built to my specs - We worked in Bob's shop and I gotta tell ya..... it's unbelievable what can be done with what must be a quarter million dollars worth of tools... considering the sander he's standing next to is valued at $20K

Meet Mark Dragan.... Mark is my cousin's brother in law and a life long friend of Bob. Mark's forte' is marketing and getting things up and running... He's worked in and around wood working just as long as the rest of us.

...and then there's Marv Shulz... Marv will be my spanish cedar guy working with me on my humidors as well as taking on the Winedor realm...

Gotta love the shop....

And then there's me.... drilling the hing holes.

And... if you need a tool that ain't on the floor... you can probably find it sitting in here on wheels... just roll it out and plug it in...

....some progress....

...and at the end of the day.... Here's where we are. We'll get 'em done tomorrow! Awesome day - and I can't wait to get these things out so Bob can make up the next batch.

If anybody has any interest... please contact Terri (aka Folly Rocks)... she'll be more than happy to answer any questions... Me, I'll be in the shop...

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Long day today.... we didn't get 'em all done....but, we have two of them lined and ready for the finishing room.... the other 8 are all ready to have the lids beveled, cut off and then lined... this will go quickly....

I have to spend one more day than expected in Chaska, MN... but, gonna get 'em done tomorrow and here's a pretty good idea of how they'll look....

Any interest, please...feel free to contact Terri (Folly Rocks).... as I'll be tied up in the shop(s)

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Are you building anything with drawers? Cabinet sized and even smaller or how about just anything with drawers?
Right now - we're focused on putting out the quality humidors... once Bob, Mark & I have this down and running smooth.. then yes, we will entertain anything! Bob is 100% production oriented.... so, it's going to take a bit of who wants what before we put Bob's shop to task... Bob doesn't want to do anything unless we do 10 or more. Bob has over $400,000 worth of tools alone.... so, when he flips the switch - it's gonna be for more than 1....

However, Jim, Kenny & I can also do one off customs.... and I'll be around next week to talk about any of it...

A lot coming down the pike.... (I hope)....

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Ed
I think I like that idea better anyway that way all the kinks will be worked out and all will work well, Though not the personal touch as a custom probably better that way.
Don't get me wrong... we're still doing customs. My goal is to be able to do it all.... I, personally, just want to sit in my shop 4 days a week and work on my customs.... and spend 2 days building productions (not saying Bob won't be working 6).... and on the 7th day, rest.

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The first two have rolled out of Bob's shop and down to mine....

Didn't have time to finish up - but, Bob has a good handle on it....

Here's #1 & #2 of the production model. This - introductory batch will have different design elements, etc... as we are working through different ideas...

My hardware for the walnut one (and the rest of what I'm doing) arrived today... so, that one needs to be hinged.

Still working on divider designs....

Have one more with a piece of mahogany like the one below...

9 out of 10 still available...

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ed,

It's good to see you back up and running at full speed.

I for one can say that I recevied exceptional service form Ed during my purchasing process. I love my humi and it hold RH like you wouldn't believe.

I do have a question though, is it possible to order a replacement shelf for my humi? A few of the slats have come loose in the bottom, and I am thinking of replcaing it.
Send it back and I'll either fix it or make a new one....
PM me for address, etc...

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You asked for it.... Here they are.... the first 10 Production model Waxing Moon Humidors.... If interested, please contact Terri, (Folly Rocks)... she'll be happy to handle your order...

This introductory offer kicking off the production of Waxing Moon Humidors is at $375.00 plus s/h... which is typically $50-60 depending on location.

All humidors are 16" x 12" x 9.25".... 250 Count

As always, thank you all for your continued support....

#1 - African Mahogany & Ipe - Love the lid on that mahogany!

#2 - Walnut, Maple & a bit of Ebony

#3 - Quarter Sawn White Oak & Goncalo Alves

#4 - Maple, Goncalo Alves with a Cherry Lid

#5 - African Mahogany & Ipe

#6 - Cherry, Walnut & Maple Lid

#7 - Walnut & Maple (Currently not for sale - Display Model)

#8 - Another gorgeous African Mahogany & Ipe

#9 - Maple, Goncalo Alves & Cherry Lid

#10 - Cherry, Walnut & Maple Lid

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I am happy to say that #1 of the production model just sold to a BOTL in Canada.

This, to me, is a significant moment and the culmination of an idea and a dream.

As some of you know, I have received requests for many things for what I do... and time and time again, I have shyed away, mainly due to capacity. I have even tried to do everything that came my way, myself.... and that's not good either.

My dream was to take the opportunities home and build something that would provide people that I know have the skill and capacities to handle anything that comes down the pike. It took me out of the woodshop for a spell to get all this organized, but.... It's organized now and everybody is doing what we do best. My team are not employees, we are craftsmen and are passionate about what we do.

I find it poetic that the 1st production model is an international export - That's what we need to do America!!! And, we thank you.

My way of helping the US economy - at least for these six Americans. Thank you for your continued support

Ed

Terri (aka Folly Rocks)

Bob

Marv

Jim

Mark

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Finished up the interior on the production models today.... they're ready to go. Should be posting two beauties off the custom bench tomorrow evening, if all goes right....

On the production models, we decided to make a couple of upgrade options.

First of all - Here is a picture of the interior of a stock version, which will be standard.

We are also offering a "crumb catcher" upgrade for an additional $35

Another upgrade option would be a full tray - which would involve slightly modifying the dividers to accomodate. This upgrade option will be an additional $40

Or.... you can get both upgrade options for $70, a savings of $10

And... here is what #1 off the production line is. You can see the others, which are of varied wood species on my website, if you like.

Thanks to all for looking.... any interest, please, feel free to contact Terri, aka Follyrocks in this forum.

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
#142 - Bird's Eye Maple & Walnut
17" x 12" x 8"
250 Count - Trayed out to the max....
Laser Engraved Glass Lid - by Jerry Hewett, Just Graphics, Inc.....
Thanks for looking...

The next two pictures have a piece of fabric in behind the glass to enhance photo.... very difficult to photograph glass otherwise....
The etching is the Thomas Family Crest

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.