Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 565 Posts

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a thread on each humidor as I go... but, that is getting to be too confusing... so, I think I'll just keep this one thread going and post updates as I go... Will be easier for me to manage....

I just oiled this bunch up today.... the oil has to dry about 3 days... so, in the mean time, I'll work on dressing out the interiors...

First up... Maple with a heavy mineral stain streak & Walnut...

Next.... Curly Maple & Walnut

Ambrosia Maple & Quilted Maple.... That lid is hypnotizing...

Wormy American Chestnut & Walnut...

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's another Wormy Chestnut & Walnut.... This one has an engraving on the inside of the lid.

And these two.... are a little bit behind... I just need to add splines, cut the lids off and sand...sand....sand... but, it won't take long to get 'em caught up to the others...

And.... because I'm spending so much time in the in the shop... I'm building this little jewelry box on the side for my girl...

Bird's Eye Maple & Wenge.... :)

·
At last I can relax
1,846 Posts
Thanks Ed.
If you think these updates are confusing to you, they are making my head spin.
Ed, since I keep looking at your updates, and waiting for the moment when I will pull the plug and actually own one of your marvels, when you post, can you indicate, if possible, which ones are presold, or not.
It seems most people find this tacit, but I have a bit of short term memory confusion sometimes, and would like to drool over ones not taken. For example, the first photo, of maple and walnut. Whats up with that one?
The marine corps unit, I assume thats custom and pre sold?
Ed, unfog my head. If you do not have the time I understand, I will just get my buddy Cigary(Gary) to explain everything to me, as I use him on this site for my brains most of the time anyways. LOL

A big admirer of your work. (I have $268 dollars put aside in my piggy band so far, earmarked for a gift for myself. )

Much regards Jerry

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
He makes some awesome looking stuff doesn't he Jerry? I get all tingly when he posts up photos of his stuff..like watching Picasso paint pictures. I'll be glad to help explain anything to you as long as I can slobber over the one you will eventually buy from Ed.

·
At last I can relax
1,846 Posts
He makes some awesome looking stuff doesn't he Jerry? I get all tingly when he posts up photos of his stuff..like watching Picasso paint pictures. I'll be glad to help explain anything to you as long as I can slobber over the one you will eventually buy from Ed.
Thanks Gary:
I have to save up my pennies at a time for this one, as I do not think my much better half, would appreciate another humidor. She denied my request for a Gobi roof rack for my truck. And shes the top of the command chain, so I aint got nothin to say about it. :nono:
However, I show her all of Eds work, and she looks at them, and just says "thats nice" with no emotion and walks away. Damn. And I just spent 400 bucks on a haircut in Manhattan for her. But I have turned into a p--ssy when it comes to the chain of command lately, so I will not be getting my Gobi Roof Rack for the truck.
I think my life would be complete with it, but 3000 dollars she wont go for, and I really cant answer her with a good reason, on why I want to swap out the stock roof rack. :plane::nono::nono::nono:

So I will take my chances with one of Eds Humis. I will buy it for her and tell her its a chest for her jewelry. She wont like it, then I will tell her I could use it for my watch collection. (one casio and one luminox-ha ha ha), and then wind up finally with my humidor.
But then she might just put soil in it, and plant some petunias, or store flour in it. I am walking on thin ice these days. But dont worry Ed, keep making them.

Much regards Jerry

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
Thanks Gary:
I have to save up my pennies at a time for this one, as I do not think my much better half, would appreciate another humidor. She denied my request for a Gobi roof rack for my truck. And shes the top of the command chain, so I aint got nothin to say about it. :nono:
However, I show her all of Eds work, and she looks at them, and just says "thats nice" with no emotion and walks away. Damn. And I just spent 400 bucks on a haircut in Manhattan for her. But I have turned into a p--ssy when it comes to the chain of command lately, so I will not be getting my Gobi Roof Rack for the truck.
I think my life would be complete with it, but 3000 dollars she wont go for, and I really cant answer her with a good reason, on why I want to swap out the stock roof rack. :plane::nono::nono::nono:

So I will take my chances with one of Eds Humis. I will buy it for her and tell her its a chest for her jewelry. She wont like it, then I will tell her I could use it for my watch collection. (one casio and one luminox-ha ha ha), and then wind up finally with my humidor.
But then she might just put soil in it, and plant some petunias, or store flour in it. I am walking on thin ice these days. But dont worry Ed, keep making them.

Much regards Jerry
You're preaching to the chior Jerry. I had to get a part time consulting job for this reason alone....at least this way she can't tell me what I spend that money on ( or can't she )

Maybe Ed will take pity on us dysfunctional husbands who need one of those 'no frills' humidors?

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... when you post, can you indicate, if possible, which ones are presold, or not.
I can, Jerry.... and, thanks for all the kind words.... You guys are the best.

Most of my builds are already spoken for.... but, I've been adding one on each one since I've reopened.... and they remain unspoken for...

One of them is the Curly Maple & Cherry that is in progress.... in the picture with the one with the Purple Heart & curly maple... The other one that is still unspoken for is this Zebra Wood & Walnut... I'm not in a huge hurry to sell 'em... cuz I'd like to have one or two to take to Myrtle Beach in October... to the Puff - thon thingie..... But, if they go... they go...

Here's a pic or two of the Zebra Wood & Walnut one...

·
At last I can relax
1,846 Posts
I can, Jerry.... and, thanks for all the kind words.... You guys are the best.

Most of my builds are already spoken for.... but, I've been adding one on each one since I've reopened.... and they remain unspoken for...

One of them is the Curly Maple & Cherry that is in progress.... in the picture with the one with the Purple Heart & curly maple... The other one that is still unspoken for is this Zebra Wood & Walnut... I'm not in a huge hurry to sell 'em... cuz I'd like to have one or two to take to Myrtle Beach in October... to the Puff - thon thingie..... But, if they go... they go...

Here's a pic or two of the Zebra Wood & Walnut one...

This humi is stunning. A question that maybee I should understand but dont. :whip:
On the middle and upper level dividers. Its nice that they slide, but are you showing it that way because its designed to only have one full shelf on bottom and two half shelfs, or will it come with two half shelfs on each of the top two levels?
Am I confusing you, because I confuse myself. What are the dimensions of this one, and the capacity?

Thanks Ed- Jerry

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the middle and upper level dividers. Its nice that they slide, but are you showing it that way because its designed to only have one full shelf on bottom and two half shelfs, or will it come with two half shelfs on each of the top two levels?
Jerry - this set up is designed so they can slide...it is my preferred set up.. however, the trays can be laid out any way one wants them to be.... I don't mind losing the capacity to the sliding effect.... as when I run out of capacity, I'll just build me another humidor... :biggrin1:

Some folks like the sliding ability so they don't have to remove trays to access the level below... others like the trays to be full, whether 2 1/2 trays or any other combination to make full use of the space....

It's all about what you want.... And, since this was an "impromptu" build... I did it "my way"... lol

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You should absolutely make some pipe racks - with your sense of aesthetics am sure you can produce some beautiful unique pieces, and am sure you would get the support of the pipe geezers on this site.
This isn't the first time that somebody has recommened this to me... I believe that I will give it a go.... I do need to do some more research on what is desired...

My initial thoughts are to build it something like the picture below, which was a flag display case that I designed for a veteran.... The pipe rack base would be a little different to make the base a humidor.... as it would need to be sealed.... the flag display case did not.... but, I am sure I can figure it out.

I could modify the top to display the pipes.... and then on the bottom part, make that a humidor to contain the various blends.... I think I'll post something in the pipe forum to see what sort of input I can gather on the project... but, you will most likely see something in the upcoming month or two...

Thanks for the input!

·
At last I can relax
1,846 Posts
Jerry - this set up is designed so they can slide...it is my preferred set up.. however, the trays can be laid out any way one wants them to be.... I don't mind losing the capacity to the sliding effect.... as when I run out of capacity, I'll just build me another humidor... :biggrin1:

Some folks like the sliding ability so they don't have to remove trays to access the level below... others like the trays to be full, whether 2 1/2 trays or any other combination to make full use of the space....

It's all about what you want.... And, since this was an "impromptu" build... I did it "my way"... lol
Thanks Ed
If I had half your ability, I would have a problem and be in deep debt. I would build all these fantastic humidors, and keep them all for myself, and then order cigars to fill them all up.:dunno:

Ed, on that Marines Hymn. Do you use a stencil and ink for that? How permanent is that ink, especially with it absorbing moisture in a closed box?
How much extra does it cost for something like that above whatever the humi costs?

Once again Thanks Ed.

·
Humidor Builder
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Ed
Ed, on that Marines Hymn. Do you use a stencil and ink for that? How permanent is that ink, especially with it absorbing moisture in a closed box?
How much extra does it cost for something like that above whatever the humi costs?
The marine hymn is actually laser engraved in to the spanish cedar. You can engrave, basically, any image that can be digitized. It is burned in, therefore permanent.... The cost for any of the laser engraving (which I send out to a fellow who has the $30K plus machine).... is typically around $50-$75... Depends on how much tinkering he has to do with the image....
Could be more or less...

Here's a couple links to show how the laser process works....

Link 1
Link 2

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,873 Posts
Now that's a Humidor Nice Job ED!

134 Posts
This isn't the first time that somebody has recommened this to me... I believe that I will give it a go.... I do need to do some more research on what is desired...

My initial thoughts are to build it something like the picture below, which was a flag display case that I designed for a veteran.... The pipe rack base would be a little different to make the base a humidor.... as it would need to be sealed.... the flag display case did not.... but, I am sure I can figure it out.

I could modify the top to display the pipes.... and then on the bottom part, make that a humidor to contain the various blends.... I think I'll post something in the pipe forum to see what sort of input I can gather on the project... but, you will most likely see something in the upcoming month or two...

Thanks for the input!

That's beautiful, and the pipe rack sounds like a fun side project as well, if nothing else! Go for it! Also, try not to let your prices skyrocket too much because I hope to own some of your work in the next few years :D

1 - 20 of 565 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.