Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got another question for you Gorillas - I ordered a couple boxes the other day (JdNA Belicoso and FdO Toros). If I get these boxes in say Thurs/Friday, is it too early to try a JdNA on Saturday? I read on top25cigar that some people say (regarding the JdNAs in particular) "let them sit a week or two", and that "they will become really good after a year or so of aging".

How soon do you usually wait on a box shipped domestically (I know it's different for ISOMs) to actually break into the stash and light one up? Will this depend on the cigar, and if so, how long would you recommend for my JdNAs and FdOs? Finally, would they really get better w/ a year of aging, meaning I should only have a few now and try to hold off on the majority?

Thanks in advance - I'm sure the topic has been mentioned before, I'm curious as to my specific order, if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Keep in mind that box of cigars may have been sitting in the warehouse for 6 months already. Any box I get mail order I let sit in my humidor a couple weeks so it hits my preferred RH. I don't like 70%; too hard to draw. I bet those JdNas will really rock after a year of aging. If you can stand to hold onto a box that long, do so.

I have some FdOs with 9 months on them now and they really aren't noticiably better than they were straight from the retailer I bought them at. Again, maybe they had already been on the shelf 6 months or a year. If it were me I would probably hit the FdO first, one JdNa after a couple weeks and do my best to leave the JdNas alone for awhile.

-Matt-

·
Registered
579 Posts
I usually unseal the box and let it sit in my humidor for a week or so. I try to hold em longer but that's often impossible for me.

Since you seem to be newto box purchases I recommend you smoke one immediately, take notes, and then put the box away for a few weeks and repeat the process. Some cigars will have noticably different smoking behaviours after this process, especially given that they are often stored in conditions that don't match those in your own humidor. Others aren't going to show any appreciable difference until a few months or so. For example, i bought a box of Avo Legacies 6 months ago. The first one I smoked was very nice but tasted young. 3 weeks later, they still smoked young. 4 months later, they were much richer and less acidic tasting but still smoked young. If I had been more patient and had a better supply of other smokes, I woould have held em for another 6 months or a year and they probably woul have been great.

In contrast, the Oliva Master Blends I laid down were metallic tasting when I first tried em but turned to gold after 3 weeks in the humidor. I suspect they were simply better aged prior to my purchase than the Avos were.

Steeltown said:
I've got another question for you Gorillas - I ordered a couple boxes the other day (JdNA Belicoso and FdO Toros). If I get these boxes in say Thurs/Friday, is it too early to try a JdNA on Saturday? I read on top25cigar that some people say (regarding the JdNAs in particular) "let them sit a week or two", and that "they will become really good after a year or so of aging".

How soon do you usually wait on a box shipped domestically (I know it's different for ISOMs) to actually break into the stash and light one up? Will this depend on the cigar, and if so, how long would you recommend for my JdNAs and FdOs? Finally, would they really get better w/ a year of aging, meaning I should only have a few now and try to hold off on the majority?

Thanks in advance - I'm sure the topic has been mentioned before, I'm curious as to my specific order, if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Smoke the FdO's now, you are not hurting anything. If you are dying to open something up. A week usually works just fine, but you never know. If you want to fire up the other one, you might be very pleased.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I stash pretty much everything for at least a couple of months, sometimes I'll take one out as a tester, but not usually. You never know how cigars have been handled before they get to you, so I really prefer to let them all sit for a while. But that's my ritual, based on my perception that recently delivered cigars tend to be moister and tighter and my preference is to store below 70%RH. Fortunately, I have plenty of well rested cigars so I have no need to break into new deliveries immediately.

That said, the FDOs (from Smokeall) seem to ship in very good condition. I'd let the JdNs sit, for sure, just because they are wonderful smokes and I'd want to make certain they were ready..

bd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.