Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smoked this while I watched a card movie called Shade. If you like cool card movies, check this one out. You'll be blown away my some of the card moves (because they aren't really tricks) in this one. But anyway back to th cigar......

This beauty was gifted to me from 1f1fan. Thank you for the suprise package 1f1....

I cut it with my Palio, it has a nice draw. Not to easy, but not difficult either. I toast the foot, nice aroma from the smoke.....and nice taste also. Starts off a little earthy, with just a hint of spice. And then gets a little bit more spicey(not PSD4 spicey) just a little bit. I am also getting a nice smooth finish...the start of being creamy??? Now this isn't as smooth as the Famosos..however I am really liking it. AHHH there is the creaminess(sp) I was tasteing earlier, not to mention the chocolate flavor as well around mid point. And lucky for me stays that wat for awhile. I am drinking a Sam Smith Nut Brown Ale with this. Don't know if anyone here has had on of these delicious beers from England. I love emm, one of my personal favs. The reason I even mention it is because it tends to taste like chocolate. So I'm wondering if the beer is affecting the taste of my fine habanos, or vice versa?

Anyway......as the cigar gets closer and closer to the band, I gently remove the big R from the cigar. I love the VR cigar bands, very pretty IMHO. Now the cigar has turned a little nutty???? maybe like a almound taste. It still has that finish that coats the back of your throat :D , love that. Like the only other VR cigar I've had (Famosos) this one does not a disapointment. Not as smooth or as chocolaty as the Famosos, but I still really enjoyed the 45 minutes or so smoking this. I am looking forwad to the 2 other Coronas 1f1fan sent me. I will write a little review on them also. Thanks again to 1f1fan, who was kind enough to send me a little gift package.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Re: VR Familiares

Thanks for reviewing these. Nice movie too. Is that the one with Stallone puffin down an Opus X half the movie?

·
Registered
21,743 Posts

Nice review, glad you enjoyed the cigar! Gotta love that VR flavor profile. I noticed a change in taste at the end also, the flavors got real intense and nutty at the end. Most likely due to the small ring guage and the cigar heating up a little as you get closer to the nub.

I love the Sam Smith beers also and they usually go very well with cigars. If you like the Nut Brown try the Oatmeal Stout and the Taddy Porter, both are excellent.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

hogg said:
Thanks for reviewing these. Nice movie too. Is that the one with Stallone puffin down an Opus X half the movie?
Hogg that would be the flick I was refering to. Great movie. Yeah he does love those Opus X's.

I love the Sam Smith beers also and they usually go very well with cigars. If you like the Nut Brown try the Oatmeal Stout and the Taddy Porter, both are excellent
I have tried both. And I think they are superior to any other beer on the market. I just prefer the Nut Brown. The only beer I think comes close in taste is Newcastle and Old Peculiar(sp). Now German beer in Germany........totally different story LOL

·
Registered
7,274 Posts

Like the two yesterday, this cigar came courtesy of Bigga Petey, who sent it to me in the Real MAW. This is a cigar (and brand) that is totally new to me, though I've heard a lot about it. I meant to smoke it last night, but just couldn't. Rather than start a new thread, I "used teh search"™ and found this old review. Here's my addition, made while on the Skype and drinking some rum (neat):

This is an October 2005 cigar that has been well taken care of. A nice, smooth, flawless tan wrapper graces the outside of this cigar. I take my Palio to the cap and make the cut. It's clean; but as I place the cigar in my mouth, I feel the slight poke of a stem. It doesn't seem to be interrupting the pre-light draw, though; so I'm not worried about proceeding to the light.

I toast the foot and light 'er up. The first thing I notice, visually, is the good amount of smoke coming out of this thing. My garage is quickly filling up and my dog is none too pleased. [Here's a rawhide, buddy....] Back to the cigar, I'd probably characterize the flavor as medium and the body as medium. Each puff brings a nice mouthful of creamy smoke that I want to hold in because of the pleasant taste. Flavor-wise, two flavors seem to be predominant: spice (not too spicey, but enough to let me know it's there) and citrus (kind of like a grapefruit, but more in tone than flavor).

As I proceed through the first third, these flavors are holding strong for me. Once I hit the half-way point, I noticed that chocolate started entering the mix. To coppertop, I'd say, "No; you're not crazy or tainted by the beer ... at least, not completely." As I approach the last third, the flavors are intensifying in a good way. I'm also getting a bit of a nuttiness; but not enough for me to make a big deal about.

In the end, I've got to say that I really liked this cigar. It makes me curious to try more VRs and to get my hands on some more of these. Thanks again for this cigar, Bigga Petey.

~d.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.