Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alrighty, was finally able to take a crack at this big monster!! (49 x 7 5/8)
was gifted by a great guy on Club Stogie (LLG, BOTL, whatever). my buddy COPPERTOP came over and tried (another) Cohiba Robusto, just to make sure we're giving that famed cigar a fair chance.

i was in full babysitting mode as my wife just started her new night shifts in the ER tonight, and i didn't take any notes. also in the middle of 3 dynasty league fantasy football drafts and i was on the clock in a few of them... even had a cell phone call from someone to let me know it was my turn. :D

this thing was delicious. started off with hints of cinnamon (which i oddly tasted for the first time a week ago in the Epi 2 i had via trade w/ Clovis), mixed nicely with that cuban coffee/earthy taste. i bet this would've rocked after a big lunch and a nice cappuccino.

burned very good, very easy draw, almost too easy.

damn thing lasted forever, and me being a lightweight, it almost made me :pu

sorry it's not as good as my reviews while i'm out of town, i don't take notes when i'm at home, or have the personal time to devote a full on review.

but here's some photo's i've dumbed down and cropped.

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Re: VR Don Alejandro

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a good one!

Nice pics of the smokes!

Regarding the personal pics: I have seen better looking heads on a beer! :D

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

okie2 said:
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a good one!

Nice pics of the smokes!

Regarding the personal pics: I have seen better looking heads on a beer! :D
Hey Bob thanks a lot for the Palio slot ;)

Thanks IHT...great pick of me :c

:r MAO at the better heads on beer remark.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Both are great cigars... favorite DC and one of my favorite robustos!

BTW... can you do something about the glare in that 1st pic? I can't see a thing. ;)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Aren't too bad...OUCH that hurts :confused:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Yeah c'mon CC.......lets see a pic :D

·
Registered
107 Posts

Ok, this one doesn't show me smoking a cigar.......it is my "school" picture. (I work at a school and this is the picture that they put in the year book....)

Sorry, IHT, no bald dome(s) to show...... :)

Attachments

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

you didn't have to, i was just teasing. i think i've seen you on another cigar forum... ;)
but i'm sure coppertop appreciates it, he needs a good woman. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts

Sounds like the Don Alejandro is a fine smoke ... How long does one of those babies last? 2 hours? I'm very inclined to "taste test" the one I just traded for, but will leave it for now.

What were the thoughts on the Cohiba? I'm guessing it didn't impress.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

UpInSmoke said:
How long does one of those babies last? 2 hours?

What were the thoughts on the Cohiba? I'm guessing it didn't impress.
close to 2 hours. i was turning a little green when i still had about 1.5 inches left of smokeable cigar. very worth it though. smooth for sure.

as for the CoRo, i took a few pulls off of it... i've had a few of my own.... and although coppertop said this one was "better" than the others he's had (and he's had a few pulls off of the ones i've had as well), it paled in comparison to the VR DA, unless you like acidic nutty tastes. i'm STILL highly disappointed in those things, as i am with MOST of the cohibas i've had. hell, the ONLY cohiba that i liked has been the Sig I.
i've said it before, i've had cheapo Don Asa's off of cigarbid that have tasted IDENTICAL. a co-worker came over one day, i had a Don Asa corona in the afternoon that was very good. then, later that night, i had a Sig II that tasted close to the same, but not as good. i thought that was odd, but now that i've had 3 CoRo's that have tasted the same as the Sig II, i guess it's just the flavor profile of Cohibas. the Esplindido i had in Europe was alright, but nothing stood out about it.... the VR DA blew that one away as well.

coppertop gave me a few pulls off this CoRo while i was smoking the VR, and he thought i would enjoy it, as it was a slight improvement over the past ones we've had. but after taking many draws off my cigar, then taking a drink then pulling on the CoRo, it still tasted nasty, like acidic nutty flavors. not smooth at all to me. a harsh bite... he said he could get a grassy taste that everyone talks about, and some sweetness, but i was blinded by that acidic nutty flavor.

but the VR DA was like smoking cookie dough at times, with some cinnamon sprinkles and ground up coffee beans mixed in. (i just hope that my saying this won't have someone go buy a box of aged ones i'm eyeballing that were boxed the same date as my son was born)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

IHT said:
close to 2 hours. i was turning a little green when i still had about 1.5 inches left of smokeable cigar. very worth it though. smooth for sure.

as for the CoRo, i took a few pulls off of it... i've had a few of my own.... and although coppertop said this one was "better" than the others he's had (and he's had a few pulls off of the ones i've had as well), it paled in comparison to the VR DA, unless you like acidic nutty tastes. i'm STILL highly disappointed in those things, as i am with MOST of the cohibas i've had. hell, the ONLY cohiba that i liked has been the Sig I.
i've said it before, i've had cheapo Don Asa's off of cigarbid that have tasted IDENTICAL. a co-worker came over one day, i had a Don Asa corona in the afternoon that was very good. then, later that night, i had a Sig II that tasted close to the same, but not as good. i thought that was odd, but now that i've had 3 CoRo's that have tasted the same as the Sig II, i guess it's just the flavor profile of Cohibas. the Esplindido i had in Europe was alright, but nothing stood out about it.... the VR DA blew that one away as well.

coppertop gave me a few pulls off this CoRo while i was smoking the VR, and he thought i would enjoy it, as it was a slight improvement over the past ones we've had. but after taking many draws off my cigar, then taking a drink then pulling on the CoRo, it still tasted nasty, like acidic nutty flavors. not smooth at all to me. a harsh bite... he said he could get a grassy taste that everyone talks about, and some sweetness, but i was blinded by that acidic nutty flavor.

but the VR DA was like smoking cookie dough at times, with some cinnamon sprinkles and ground up coffee beans mixed in. (i just hope that my saying this won't have someone go buy a box of aged ones i'm eyeballing that were boxed the same date as my son was born)
That was the first time I have actually had a whole CoRo...the other time I just took a few pulls off of yours. And I would have to say, Compared to the Esplendido that I smoked and the other CoRo this one was leaps and bounds over them...IMHO. I really don't think the flavor profile of Cohiba cigars does anything for my taste buds. The CoRo sent to me by Fredster was good. As I have already PMed him my thoughts on it, I will not go into it on Gregs VR review. So except for the Sig I, I dont think I will be buying any boxes of Cohibas. Which is good because I can't afford them :D

So thanks again Fred for the CoRo. The others your sent me were wonderful little smokes. I have one more Monte that I am holding onto...to put a little age on it. Now I want to buy a Cab of those or Boli PCs. But first I am going to buy some PLPC.

:pu

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

Thank you for your generocity Fred.

Ctop

·
-
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

i would like to thank the man for sending me that fine VR DA, you know who you are. THANK YOU!

it really made it easier for me to pull the trigger on that aged box from ABR00 that should be here next week. i'm hoping they retain that cinnamon cookie dough flavor....

time to let them rest for another 13+ years until my sons 18th B-day (which was April 2000 as well).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.