Cigar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since yesterday i(symantec)have had to weed out a virus from about 10 to 20 incoming emails per day.seems like more today than yesterday.this is nuts...have had to start weeding them at the isp inbox i have with telus...works about 5 times faster.check at my isp inbox...delete about 90% of the junk mail and note that about 1/2 of them are the (about) 100k emails with attatchments(these are the nasties).

this happening to anybody else???have checked and dont have any (that i know the names of) infections.thank you symantec.

derrek :)

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
Worst time for the SOBIG virus for me was Tuesday night through Wednesday night. I stopped counting at 100.

Norton caught the first one. After that, I just went up on my server (Earthlink) and deleted all of them while they were still up there.

Since Thursday morning, only 4 have come in.

People who develop and spread viruses like this should be punished by chaining them to a chair and having to spend 72 hours in a room listening to James Carville, Rosie O'Donnell, Susan Sarandon, Ed Asner and Hillary Clinton arguing with Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Alan Keyes, Neal Boortz and Ann Coulter. :c

·
Registered
756 Posts
i am pretty sure it is happening to a lot of people. i have heard a lot about it in the past couple days. i have probably gotten 200 in the last 4-5 days. luckily my nortons and also postini.com are getting them all. not that i would run an executable attachment from anyone i didnt know.
these people are relentless with their virus games!
jimmy

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
There can be a good time & place for a virus. Ever run into a problem individual on the web or chat? Ever desire to even the score with someone you dislike a lot by reformatting their hard drive, reconfiguring their registry, deleting certain .dll or .ini files?

While I agree the current virus in the news is malicious by attacking indiscriminantly any computers it finds, there are others out there that will only attack what computer it was sent to attack and affect nobody else.
Whoever wrote the blaster virus was very clever. It not only forced the infected machine to reboot over & over again, it also flooded the Windows update site so getting the patch from a clean PC was near impossible when at its peak.

The more you read up on viruses & trojans, the more you learn on how to keep your machine safe.

My suggestions? If you have a broadband connection like DSL or cable get a hardware firewall. Software firewalls are not enough and can be bypassed with a little time. The best is to use both.

Dont open any attachments from even friends unless they tell you in advance they are sending you an attachment. ALWAYS keep Windows & any antivirus software updated.
On sensitive data you keep on your computer get a good 128bit blowfish encryption program.

If you use Microsoft Outlook, get a program called Spam Inspector. It will intigrate into Outlook and keep 90% of the spam out of your inbox & it learns as you use it what is & isnt spam.

Want to prevent your MS Outlook from sending mass emails if in case you get infected with a mass mailer virus as an added insurance? Just create a new contact in your address book as:
name: 000_
email address: [email protected]
Since there is no alert.net and it becomes the first entry in your address book of contacts in Outlook, any program that attacks your address book will try it first. It will bounce back & all other following contacts will remain safe. Outlook will inform you you have a bounced email (which you never sent). Thus, the chain is broken.

Get a free program called Spybot Search & Destroy to remove most spyware off your PC. Spyware is just another variant form of a trojan.

...thats what I heard, not that I know anything LOL
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
it's been bad here all week, at least 100 per day. fortunately- our server is unix so it's just annoying. i use pine for email and you can set up filters easily- the only problem is having a lot of filters tends to slow things down a bit.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Hey poker - What do you think about Macafee SpamKiller? I am using that, and although it does a good job, it does not integrate with Outlook very well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts