Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the VR Famosos and just pulled a Familiar out of a boxpass from another board (have not smoked it yet).

I want to explore the VR brand some more and just wanted to get some feedback from those of you who have experience with the other vitolas in this line: Unicos, Classicos and the Don Alejandro.

How does the blend of these compare/contrast to the Famosos?

How does each compare to other brands. For example the Don Alejandro compared to.....lets say a Hoyo Double Coronas or a Partagas Lusitanias?

Thanks

and

Thank God it's Friday!

·
-
11,412 Posts
i've written a review of the famosos on here, if you want those impressions.

the one Unicos i had was not overly impressive, and it didn't look like it would've been, probably not well cared for where i got it in europe.

the 1 VR DA that i've had (although i have a full box from april 00 in my humi) tasted like cinnamon cookie dough... was on the milder side.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
I personally like th VR brand. Find them to be more Med. bodied with an herbal yet earthy flavor profile, although the smaller sizes can be more full bodied, especially as you smoke them down.

While I do like the whole line, my favorites are the Don Alejandro and the Unicos. IMHO, because these two are larger gauged and longer cigars, I believe they smoke milder and cooler than the other sizes of this brand.

The Unicos, perhaps because of the torpedo shape, I find, is a bit stronger than the DA, maybe as a result of the smoke being more concentrated as you draw. I think you'll notice more of this strength as you get down to the terminal third. As for the Don Alejandro, I've always found them to be very consistent, getting a bit stronger as you smoke them down, but essentially holding their strength and flavor profile quiet well (I think the best of all the VR line).

I can't really compare these cigars to others. I mean, what can you compare a Lusi or a MC2 to? Yes, one has that Partagas flavor, the other the MC flavor, but IMHO each is a very unique smoking experience because of the shape, the size, the blend.

Wish I could give you a better idea. You've just gotta try them & see. :D :u

MoTheMan

The views expressed here are those of this reviewer. Your experience and taste may vary. :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
MoTheMan turned me onto the VR Don Alejandro's and it's been downhill since then.

the don alejandro, famosos(preferably with 6+ years) and unicos are in regular rotation.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
TheFamosos is a good hermoso. Very consistant. I don't care for the unicos at all. I know a lot of people like them, but I find them med bodied, and one noted. Give me a good Monte #2 or Upmann #2, instead. I like the Don Alejandro a lot, but prefer a Part. Lusi. Both are med- bodied, but the Lusi is more complex to me. The smaller sizes classico, etc, are all nice too, but not my favorites in these size categories.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
DaveC said:
MoTheMan turned me onto the VR Don Alejandro's and it's been downhill since then.
Yeah, and I can still hear you curse me under your breath. :r ;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I also like the DA from this line at the two year mark. The DA for me has loads of flavor ranging from spice to bittersweet chocolate with sweet tobacco. I like it a lot but as a second to the RAG if that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts