Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, hope everyone is enjoying their day.

I have a question about modifying a wineador to utilize an external temperature controller. The NewAir AW 280-E model I have only goes up to 66°F, but I personally prefer to store my cigars at 70° and I'm just trying to figure out what I need. Can I leave the existing (factory) fan in and just install an external temp controller to control it? Is it that simple? If so, is there a certain type I need to buy? Anything special I should be looking for, recommended brands/models/etc?

·
Registered
594 Posts
I saw a video of someone doing just this before. I don't think it would hurt your cigars as long as your temps don't fluctuate widely.

This says temp accuracy +/- 2 degrees and has calibration. I have no personal experience and I would definitely keep a close eye at first to see how large the temp swing between on/off cycles. I own 2 digital thermometers from this same company and they both work great FWIW.

I have thought about trying this myself as my winedor tends to run cold, down to 63/64 in winter so I have to add extra boveda to maintain 65rh.

Please post your experiences if you give it a try.

·
Wildman
554 Posts
I don't remember the brand I used for my first Wineador. Reading through numerous threads, the standard recommendation is a Thermoelectric rig. It worked ok, EXCEPT when there was an electricity fluctuation the unit would revert to the "Default" temperature which was around 45F. When it cooled down from around 65F the highest setting to 45F the default, it would produce lots of moisture condensation from the cooling element that puddled in the bottom of the cooler.

When there is condensation, it's an indication that the moisture in the air within the unit has been wrung out dry and cigars are drying out.

So, I read a few more threads from a couple of guys that were running Freon based units. I picked one up that has passive cooling, large evaporator plate that covers ~75% of the back of the cooler, no fans. I added fans over the evaporator plate and a custom temperature controller. The newer Freon rig, defaults to on when the door thermostat is disconnected by unplugging the harness. So, I just plugged the cooler into the custom controller and when the controller calls for a cooling cycle it runs.

You can test your rig by unplugging it and plugging it back in and see if it runs and if it goes into a default cooling cycle it will work fine with a remote temperature controller.

I run my setup at 69F, as the less cooling cycles the better. Also, covered the glass door with 3/4" foam insulation to further reduce cooling cycles needed. Be sure there is no condensation collection when it runs a cooling cycle. If there is, step of the air flow over the cooling element. In my setup I also added a timer so the fans run for 3 minutes after each cooling cycle.

You can go custom with a temperature controlled or there are off the shelf units with a plug on them to connect the cooler to.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't remember the brand I used for my first Wineador. Reading through numerous threads, the standard recommendation is a Thermoelectric rig. It worked ok, EXCEPT when there was an electricity fluctuation the unit would revert to the "Default" temperature which was around 45F. When it cooled down from around 65F the highest setting to 45F the default, it would produce lots of moisture condensation from the cooling element that puddled in the bottom of the cooler.

When there is condensation, it's an indication that the moisture in the air within the unit has been wrung out dry and cigars are drying out.

So, I read a few more threads from a couple of guys that were running Freon based units. I picked one up that has passive cooling, large evaporator plate that covers ~75% of the back of the cooler, no fans. I added fans over the evaporator plate and a custom temperature controller. The newer Freon rig, defaults to on when the door thermostat is disconnected by unplugging the harness. So, I just plugged the cooler into the custom controller and when the controller calls for a cooling cycle it runs.

You can test your rig by unplugging it and plugging it back in and see if it runs and if it goes into a default cooling cycle it will work fine with a remote temperature controller.

I run my setup at 69F, as the less cooling cycles the better. Also, covered the glass door with 3/4" foam insulation to further reduce cooling cycles needed. Be sure there is no condensation collection when it runs a cooling cycle. If there is, step of the air flow over the cooling element. In my setup I also added a timer so the fans run for 3 minutes after each cooling cycle.

You can go custom with a temperature controlled or there are off the shelf units with a plug on them to connect the cooler to.

Have fun with it.
Thank you; very helpful answer!!! Gonna give it a shot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw a video of someone doing just this before. I don't think it would hurt your cigars as long as your temps don't fluctuate widely.

This says temp accuracy +/- 2 degrees and has calibration. I have no personal experience and I would definitely keep a close eye at first to see how large the temp swing between on/off cycles. I own 2 digital thermometers from this same company and they both work great FWIW.

I have thought about trying this myself as my winedor tends to run cold, down to 63/64 in winter so I have to add extra boveda to maintain 65rh.

Please post your experiences if you give it a try.
Thank you, will do!

·
Wildman
554 Posts
You are more than welcome sir. I set things up for the Gen II Freon based system 8+ years ago and it's churning right along. Only 1 fan failure, the one in the bottom of the humidor.

I'm in the process of building another controller unit just because the original is 8 years old and in a plastic hobby kit box. I have a larger aluminum box for it. Since going custom I use one of these controllers, with 12V power supply and relays, timers, etc.

Not trying to sway you that direction, just show and tell. :)

Here's the build thread from 2013, photo hosting was lost some time ago.

Yes definitely post your experience with this project.

One thing I will recommend is data loggers: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AEQ9X9I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts