Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let me start off by saying that I have always just told everyone to use Boveda and let it do it's thing, when using airtight containers. I never used a Hygro because I was convinced that I would always be reacting to the data display.

Saw a good deal on these Inkbird Hygros and they have great reviews, so I bought 5 of them. At home, I store all my cigars inside Lock&Lock containers, inside my Whynter Cigar Cooler. I didn't want to fuss around with RH control inside the cooler, plus I also keep all my sealed Tins of Pipe Tobacco in there. Inside all my airtight containers, I have 25-50 cigars and 2-3 65% Bovedas.

I do the same thing in my locker at the lounge because I don't trust there humidification system and I don't want to share air with 50 other lockers.

I recently started a Coolidor to keep at my desk at work for longer term storage and decided I would buy a Hygro to monitor how long it would take to stabilize. I have ~300 cigars in there in boxes and trays and 20 65% Bovedas scattered all over. The cooler is 75-80% full. After a few weeks, my hygro was reading 65-66%. In the last few days, it's jumped up to 68-69%.

So, I put the hygro in a small Lock & Lock container with 1 65% pack and left it overnight. When I came in, it was reading 69%. I moved the container and a couple minutes later it dropped to 66%.

Now I'm a bit confused as to whether the hygro is ****, or I'm just being paranoid...

Edited for language

Liquid Rectangle Font Plastic Eyewear

·
Super Moderator
3,702 Posts
A sealed, stabilized and filled environment will always be a few degrees higher than the Boveda
Especially somewhere like California
Even in central Oregon in the summer I will usually use 62% packs to achieve 65% in my filled coolidors
And stable temperature is always a key variable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, this makes sense. I completely forgot about Boveda's mention if this on their product page. The strange thing is that my home storage, which has been about 10 degrees cooler, reads 62-63 when using 65 packs in sealed containers. I know this aligns with physics of RH, but I still thought they would be closer in sealed and stable environments.

And this is why I never used Hygros. I get all wound upon single percentage point deviations. lol

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t sweat the small stuff
And once you get a location dialed in, stick with it
A different location will give you a completely different result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but I think instyead of going and spending money on another pile of Bovedas, I'm just going to smoke a couple cigars from this cooler once I've seen the RH stabilize for a few weeks. This will tell me if I actually need to adjust or not...

·
Super Moderator
17,798 Posts
Yeah, but I think instyead of going and spending money on another pile of Bovedas, I'm just going to smoke a couple cigars from this cooler once I've seen the RH stabilize for a few weeks. This will tell me if I actually need to adjust or not...
Yep, think you've been in the game long enough to go by feel.

(Of course, I don't advise noobs to do this. Stick with the tech)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Humphrey's Ghost
1 - 6 of 6 Posts