Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Man, I hope the US will come out with a win, but at Azteca, I don't know.

To tell you the truth, I would be estatic with a draw! Any points the US could get in Mexico would be great.

On a side note, I am hoping to go to the World Cup qualifier in Salt Lake in June when the US meets Costa Rica.

:u

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have to agree, a draw would be well worth it. Do we have a chance to win, of course. Even though Mexico is ranked #6 in the world I think that ranking might be a bit inflated. The US had a good showings against Mexico the last time around, and no one thought we would beat them in the world cup. Either way I think this will be a great game.

I would love to do a WC qualifier game. I would love to make it to Germany, but I don't think that will happen.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Funnymantrip said:
I would have to agree, a draw would be well worth it. Do we have a chance to win, of course. Even though Mexico is ranked #6 in the world I think that ranking might be a bit inflated. The US had a good showings against Mexico the last time around, and no one thought we would beat them in the world cup. Either way I think this will be a great game.

I would love to do a WC qualifier game. I would love to make it to Germany, but I don't think that will happen.
The Mexico coach said that they were going to try to slow it down against the US. That statement alone shows how far the US has come. Mexico slowing it down against the US? Unbelievable!

I too would love to make it to Germany, alas it is not going to happen. I am about 500 miles away from Salt Lake, so a hop, skip and a jump will get me there!

:u

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not read that comment by Mexico. I think the US full sqaud is much faster than Mexico, hopefully now some of the young kids have grown up. We just need Landon Donovan to finish some of his chances.

I don't know if you have heard, but England is coming over to the US this summer for some exhibitions. I know they are going to LA and Chicago. I was hoping for someone to come back to FLA. We had Celtic come when we still had the Mutiny in Tampa. The US has done a friendly against Canada a year back down in Ft Lauderdale. I would love it if ManU came on down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Funnymantrip said:
I did not read that comment by Mexico. I think the US full sqaud is much faster than Mexico, hopefully now some of the young kids have grown up. We just need Landon Donovan to finish some of his chances.

I don't know if you have heard, but England is coming over to the US this summer for some exhibitions. I know they are going to LA and Chicago. I was hoping for someone to come back to FLA. We had Celtic come when we still had the Mutiny in Tampa. The US has done a friendly against Canada a year back down in Ft Lauderdale. I would love it if ManU came on down.
Man U. That's pretty funny. If Bayern Leverkusen (feat. Landon Donovan) can't beat Liverpool, there's pretty much no chance any of the top Premier teams would waste their time here in the States.

On the other hand, the England team against the U.S. would be good to see in a friendly. If only to gauge how many expletives Rooney would throw out in 90 minutes!

Me? I'm a die-hard Arsenal supporter, now that Forest is in the toilet.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Funnymantrip said:

Wouldn't that be great! Man Utd. toured the US last season, but never came close to Colorado. I would love to see them play over here.

Fulham is playing in the MLS all star game against the team of MLS stars. That should be interesting!

I really wish I could go to one of the England - US friendlys, but there is just no way. Still, it will be fun to watch on TV!

:)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
hungsolo said:
Man U. That's pretty funny. If Bayern Leverkusen (feat. Landon Donovan) can't beat Liverpool, there's pretty much no chance any of the top Premier teams would waste their time here in the States.

On the other hand, the England team against the U.S. would be good to see in a friendly. If only to gauge how many expletives Rooney would throw out in 90 minutes!

Me? I'm a die-hard Arsenal supporter, now that Forest is in the toilet.
Hey, perhaps Man Utd. and Arsenal will meet in the FA Cup Final. We could wager credits amongst ourselves!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wetterhorn said:
Hey, perhaps Man Utd. and Arsenal will meet in the FA Cup Final. We could wager credits amongst ourselves!

Sounds good. I think it's a good bet they'll be in the final. Based on the other games this season, I'll take Man U over Arsenal 3-1. :mad:

J/K!

I guess we'll find out in the middle of next month.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
hungsolo said:
Sounds good. I think it's a good bet they'll be in the final. Based on the other games this season, I'll take Man U over Arsenal 3-1. :mad:

J/K!

I guess we'll find out in the middle of next month.
Aye, that we will! Blackburn shouldn't be a test for the Gooners. Newcastle might really push the Reds though!

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Horrible game yesterday for the US. With 8 minutes to go and 3 striker substitutes they put 0 pressure on Mexico, that's not good at all. There were times it looked like Mexico had 14 men on the field. They pressured every ball and seemed to be wide open on the flanks all day. Kasey Keller boggles me, he had his shot as the #1 keeper, why are Tim Howard and Friedel not playing?

All and all I think we expected the loss, but now this Wed turned into a must win.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Funnymantrip said:
Horrible game yesterday for the US. With 8 minutes to go and 3 striker substitutes they put 0 pressure on Mexico, that's not good at all. There were times it looked like Mexico had 14 men on the field. They pressured every ball and seemed to be wide open on the flanks all day. Kasey Keller boggles me, he had his shot as the #1 keeper, why are Tim Howard and Friedel not playing?

All and all I think we expected the loss, but now this Wed turned into a must win.
Very disappointing... yet not unexpected. Good analysis of the game!

Friedel retired from the US National squad. No idea why Howard isn't being selected.

Wednesday we will see what the US is made of, they simply must bounce back.

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did not know Friedel retired. Arena likes domestic players over internationals for the most part how can you not go with Howard at this point. Even if he is not on his game, he has to be the equal of Keller and the Utd games he has played are a bit more of the pressure packed variety than the Turkish league Keller was in.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
There had to be a reason Spurs let Keller go this season, don't you think? I mean if a keeper can't play for Spurs, why on earth is he starting for the US? I know that Spurs have Robinson, but still, wouldn't you think they could have received a lot more for Robinson than Keller? Keller moved to and is playing for Borussia Mönchengladbach of the German League. What would it hurt to call up Tim Howard?

Thankfully Arena sees that Eddie Lewis is a player that we need in the lineup. He and Eddie Johnson (Man Utd bound?) are the true stars of the team. Donovan is a good player, but not a great player. The right side defense killed us yesterday. Simply must improve that aspect if we are going to make any noise in Germany!

Hey BTW - what MLS team does everyone support?

I support the Colorado Rapids.

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keller was in Turkey for a while.. Top notch league over there I hear.
We were missing Eddie Pope yesterday, but the back 4 looked very slow.

Don't you think it could be time for Freddy Adu to get some PT with the National team. WC is 15 months away. You have to have him on your team just from the speed standpoint. In the WC you never know when you want that late goal. He is not near a world class striker, but he should get a spot over Noonan. I think we could have used him yesterday in the late going.

As for Johnson, he and Beasley should tear up defenses, they both did not get the touches yesterday. I swear Mexico had more than 11. They were not fatigued at all yesterday.

I used to support the Mutiny, since they left I am partial to the Fire. They did say yesterday that Donovan might be coming back to LA.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Wow - I didn't realize Keller was in Turkey. Learn something everyday! :) I knew he was with Rayo Vallecano in Spain and that is a top league. Remember him at Milwall and Leicseter when he still had hair? :D

Adu would be interesting, but I wonder how much of an impact he would make. He is still really young. I would hope he would make an impact, and we really won't know until Arena puts him on the pitch.

Beasley really is an excellent player - I agree that both he and Johnson didn't touch the ball enough. Maybe it was the US play or good Mexican defense, but for whatever reason they needed to touch the ball more.

The Fire, eh? Well good luck to the Fire this season!

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting enough I believe that if he makes the squad Adu will be the same age as Ronaldo when he first made it for Brasil. I think its time for Arena to put him on the squad and see what he can do.

I do remember him at Leicester City, but I am not sure he ever had hair.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.