Cigar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the long of it...

Ok, so I bought my first box of tubos. The presentation was looking really good until I started looking though the rows of tubes and two were cracked up pretty good toward the bottom. The cigars were physically undamaged luckily. I gingerly removed the broken tubo, brushed off the little bits of glass and gave it a squeeze test to judge the condition. Even though it was sealed in a celo wrapped box it was hard as a rock. I would've expected quite a bit more give, they were only on the road for three days. I opened up an undamaged tubo to check the condition of the cigar inside. I had a devil of a time removing the stopper but this cigar was very firm too (a little less so than the damaged ones). In all cases the cigars had very little aroma save for what came off of the wrappers. The wrappers themselves still showed an oily sheen. The bands tended to slide a bit but were not loose enough to move on their own.

Now to the point...

Cigars in tubos are packaged in the factory, so I'd imagine they'd preserve the conditions the cigar was packaged in. I was under the impression that the tubes were a means to keep cigars "fresh", particularly if you don't have a humidor. Frankly I'm worried that these are too dry.

These particular cigars have 2 years of age on them already according to the box code, but how could this effect cigars (apparently) tightly sealed first in glass tubes and then in a laquered cedar box surrounded with cellophane?

Is it normal for cigars to be so firm (as if they've "set up") in a tubo?

I look forward to your sage words, fellow lowlanders.

Thanks,
Eichen

·
Registered
258 Posts
From my experience cigars in tubes, or even cello for that matter, are condensed with alot of moisture. The only remedy i have found for this is a few weeks in the humidor. It makes buying cigars in tubes kind of redundant but i have rarely ever been able to smoke a cigar right out of the tube! Out of the tube, very firm and almost immpossible to draw...that, IMHO is not a suprise. That said, you can rest assured they are as if they just left the factory...just not "primed" for smoking.:cool: That is only my opinion based on my experience:u .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts