Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help, my fellow cigar lovers. Going to Germany for a week, and will be in Weiden and Frankfurt. Need to know where are the good tobacco shops to check, for variety and best prices.

Grinch OUT!!!

·
The Screamin' Eagle \m/
3,114 Posts
DOn;t know how good your german is,but the best I can offer is to have a look Here! Then try and find one in Frankfurt/Weiden!

·
-
11,412 Posts
dagrinch said:
Need some help, my fellow cigar lovers. Going to Germany for a week, and will be in Weiden and Frankfurt. Need to know where are the good tobacco shops to check, for variety and best prices.

Grinch OUT!!!
DUUUUUDE!! weiden has a nice "small" shop that coppertop and I grab some smokes at all the time...

which direction are you getting to weiden from? if you land in munich, and drive north, you'll pass through Regensburg, where there's a bigger shop (harder to find though)....

anyway, i still have their card in my wallet, hold on a sec.
weiden is where we stay most of the time we're over there.

if you can find the Bahnhof (trainstation).. as you're facing it, walk to the right of it, there are a few shops along that side of the street. at the end of that block, there's a cigar/pipe shop called Tabak Gotz (or Goetz - because i can't make an umlaut). it's on the same side of the street as the bahnhof (i do believe).

tabak gotz
Bahnhofstrasse 20
92637 Weiden
0961-42465

mon - fri: 8:30-13:00 and 14:00-18:00 (yes, 6pm, sh*t closes early in germany)
saturday - 8:30-13:00

i'll PM you the website (no, they don't ship).

oh, and i also know of a place in Frankfurt... let me work that one up, but i've never been there personally. a germany buddy of mine who lives in berlin knows the guy. i've ordered from him, but i was IN germany at the time.

oh, the shop in Weiden doesn't have the best selection, but it's still fairly decent. i think the one in Frankfurt will have a better one.
trust me, as many times as we've been to Weiden, that is about the only shop we've found (other than it's parent shop in Regensburg).
prices will all be roughly the same, as the pricing is set by the distributer for germany (5th ave). i've gone to two shops in Nuremburg, Nuemarkt, Regensburg, and Weiden, and the prices are all the same, give or take a 10-20 cents.

·
The Screamin' Eagle \m/
3,114 Posts
Lumpy's quick guide to simple ASCII code... Seeing as the 'A' stands for American I assume these will be the same in the US!

ü - alt + 0252
ö - alt + 0246
ë - alt + 0235
ä - alt + 0228
ï - alt + 0239

All the numbers round there will do any other accent you care to name (although I would think the one for ü is the last one!)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Yeah the place in Weiden has a pretty decent selection. But the one in Regensburg is a lot better. It is owned by the same people as the one in Wieden, but it is much larger. But like IHT said it is a little more difficult to get to. And I am not one to give directions, I just drive and know where and when to turn.....But the one in Weiden is nice.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Lumpold said:
Lumpy's quick guide to simple ASCII code... Seeing as the 'A' stands for American I assume these will be the same in the US!

ü - alt + 0252
ö - alt + 0246
ë - alt + 0235
ä - alt + 0228
ï - alt + 0239

All the numbers round there will do any other accent you care to name (although I would think the one for ü is the last one!)
Hey thats cool, but how do I type that????

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
coppertop said:
Hey thats cool, but how do I type that????
yöü nëëd tö press the number sequence with alt held down, easier if you use the numeric keypad.

µ α ° and other cool stuff there as well...

ü - alt + 0252
ö - alt + 0246
ë - alt + 0235
ä - alt + 0228
ï - alt + 0239

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
SeanGAR said:
yöü nëëd tö press the number sequence with alt held down, easier if you use the numeric keypad.

ü - alt + 0252
ö - alt + 0246
ë - alt + 0235
ä - alt + 0228
ï - alt + 0239
Yeah thats what I did....maybe it's my laptop not allowing it....Oh well, I'll try it at home.

·
The Screamin' Eagle \m/
3,114 Posts
Sounds stupid but... Make sure it's 'alt' and not 'alt gr' you're holding down!

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Lumpold said:
Sounds stupid but... Make sure it's 'alt' and not 'alt gr' you're holding down!
Doesn't sound stupid, but I don't even have a 'alt gr' all I have it 'alt' on the left and right side of the space bar. And I have tried both.

·
The Screamin' Eagle \m/
3,114 Posts
SeanGAR said:

Everything is there, technically all you need to type on a keyboard are the alt key and the # pad! (Crazy crazy crazy!)

And you can do everything in windows on the keyboard (although you need more than the alt and # pad)... good for when your wireless mouse batteries die and you can't be bothered to go and buy new batteries to replace them.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i think coppertops problem is that he's on a laptop without a numeric keypad..
i wonder if holding the function key down to activate the keypad would work.
----------------------------------

DAGRINCH!! give us a report when you can on how things go in germany. i love going, i miss it so much. it's been a year and feels like a decade.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Lumpold said:

ü - alt + 0252
ö - alt + 0246
ë - alt + 0235
ä - alt + 0228
ï - alt + 0239

ü

haha, it works when you hold the "function" key the same time you hold the "alt" key on a laptop without a numeric keypad.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
IHT said:
ü

haha, it works when you hold the "function" key the same time you hold the "alt" key on a laptop without a numeric keypad.
yep works Greg....Thank you everyone

·
Mr. 305
2,124 Posts
4-5 times ive gone to Germany ive visited this small shop across the street from the huge basilica in Cologne. dont know if your going to be around there. i usually visit Bensheim, which is 15-20 miles south of Frankfurt. your doing some extensive traveling. from border to border. enjoy it Germany is beautiful!

·
Registered
2 Posts
dagrinch said:

Grinch OUT!!!
The best cigar shop in Frankfurt is:

Tabak Büttner
Kornmarkt 9

This is close to the "Hauptwache" in the center of the city. However, the place is not too big and the guy behind the desk is quite moody.

I would say, the best shop for Cuban cigars in Germany is this one located close to Cologne:
http://www.la-casa-del-habano.com/
Has a big variety, including hard to get cabinets (love the Bolivar Belicosos Finos). They even recently sold the Bolivar Gold Medal made exclusively (1000 boxes) for them - but these are out now, sorry :w

So, if you visit friends - let them order your cigars there (they send out the good sticks very fast) and pick them up at their place.

Cigar prices usually do not differ between shops in Germany, by law.

Best
Sixtus

·
-
11,412 Posts
MiamiE said:
where did you live? i love that place! well at least the country side. i got some family in Bensheim and its such a small and nice town
Hohenfels, Germany.
i lived in a hummer for 2 yrs.... but iv'e been on many, many trips over there for work. mostly around Weiden, Hohenfels, and areas down there by the training areas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts