Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got this trek 1000 road bike (for a decent price) and i hate the handlebars and gear levers. I also hate the pedals which i took the straps off . I knew i would change both but i am considering 2 options. i know i am getting mtn bike pedals (i have a specialized A1). I have the choice between a bontrager straight handlebar or a mtn bike handlebar. I am getting the quick switch gear and brake levers. since both the straight bar and mtn bike bars have the same diameter and both will take the same brake and gear levers is there really a difference?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
If they are both mtn bars, no difference. They should be similar guage tubing. The difference would be the rise if the other one is a downhill bar... more rise off of the stem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right both bars have the same diameter but are smaller than the road bike bars. trek however uses and on this model offers the straight handlebar (bontrager). man i can't wait to get it fixed so i can ride.

·
Registered
344 Posts
have you thought about buckhorn bars? i have had many people say they really liked them for thier single speeds built for intown commutes, and they are really comfortable with the right tape. something you might wanna look into ;-)

....kjpman

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Heehee... kjpman is right. I worked for several bike shops for several years. Right now I have 2 bikes sitting around that are worth more than my car. LOL I have 2 Bontragers that I built up. Of course, I got these frames before Trek bought them out and ruined them. I have a Mtn titanium frame built up with Shimano XT and Speedplay pedals, and a Cyclocross frame built up as a roadbike with Campy Chorus components and Look pedals.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Well, luckily I was kind of a minimalist when it came to bikes. I never got into carbon fiber frames/forks/parts, hydraulic or disk brakes, full suspension, flashy parts, etc. Therefore, I could get the the most bang for the buck while spending a mere 2-3 grand on a bike, after employee purchase discounts of course :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
only thing is that i hate having to lean over with the rd bars. which in turn means that i can't use the brakes or shifters. since i am not going to be riding in any events or such, i had rather be comfortable and use shifters/brakes that i am used to. i have to admit the bike is so light compared to the mtn bike i need to be able to make decisions that i am used to by having the quick shifters and brakes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i got into the high end stuff, but with limits. I just dont like the feel of a bike that is almost all carbon, the feel just isnt "whole" to me. Right now, my fleet includes 5 bikes, and my newest is a Ti road frame i picked up and transfered my Campy Record carbon onto. :w

Enyafan, you dont have to bend over if you use buckhorns, they are basically a big U shaped bar, where your stem attaches at the bottom of it, and you grasp the two uppers. Throw on a pair of barend shirters/etc, and away ya go hahaha. I think they are the cats meow actaully. Hope everything works for ya, glad to see some more riders here !!!!!!

...kjpman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.