Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically i started smoking a week ago. I turned 18 years old a few months ago and I had never really thought of smoking cigars. My father has quite a collection ( haven't seen him in 6 years though ). I hate cigarettes and I do smoke other stuff, so I decided I wanted to try something new and I went to a local cigar shop like 10 minutes from my house and picked out a C.A.O Samba. I lit it up and bam it was great. I have since bought a few more which I hope to smoke later. Any suggestions for a newbie to try out? I found this forum yesturday so be kind.

Ohh yeah, I work as a butcher and will be going to college in Rochester, NY

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u You might enjoy the La Gloria Cubana line. I like the Wavell in Maduro best. I just bought a few Hermosos in Maduro to put in my Humi for later.

I didn't start smoking until I was 44 or 45. Be careful. Be sure to "not inhale" your cigars and I'd limit myself to one a day. Don't want you getting sick on us.

:u

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the jungle. Way too many possibilities to be able to make any useful suggestions. Since you're just starting out, you don't have a feel for what you like yet. Since the cigar shop is so close, just pick up something new each time, and keep track of the ones you like, and the ones you don't. And have fun.

·
Registered
271 Posts
AH another young pup like me. Welcome to the world of cigars. haha its great, in the beginning you should be careful with what you smoke, smoking something too strong could sour your palett. Just like they said, make sure you keep a list of what you like and what you don't, and its SO nice that you have a shop so close so frequent it, and try lots of stuff thats the fun in the beginning! Welcome to the jungle!

Ryan
(oh the joys of being 18 I love it!)

·
F.O.G. with nice smokes
1,605 Posts
another poor soul lost to the world of cigars. Yahoooo! Welcome to the Jungle.

Few tips:

Start slow, sample several cigars before you make full box purchases. Get a small humidor to start with. When ya want to start buying boxes/bundles, get a cooler. If ya still smoke cigars when you get out of college, buy yourself a huge endtable type humidor as a grad present.

OPT

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
welcome... my advice is to make lots of trips to your local shop... try one of everything, but remember your tastes will change. so, what you like in august will taste like crap in january. oh man... it's futile- are you sure you want to do this? i just smoke cigars to punish myself. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I remember when I first tried cigars I was 21 or so and in college. This would have been in the mid to late 1990s. I thought cigars were horrible! I smoked a few on occasion but nothing serious. A few years ago I decided to give cigars another try. For some reason I really enjoyed the ones I smoked and now smoke on a regular basis. I've often wondered why my attitude towards cigars changed. I just assumed that my tastes changed. However, the mid to late 1990s was the so called "cigar boom," a time when cigars were very popular and even the respectable cigar makers were rushing production to meet demand. Looking back, I think that when I first tried cigars, they were dog poop. Today, with improved quality, I find I actually enjoy smoking, not so much because *I* changed, but because *cigars* changed. Not sure if this relates to the topic at hand but oh well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its interesting, while I was on my cruise to the bahamas every night i retired to the library to have a nice cigar, and everynight there was this older gentleman sitting quietly in the corner smoking a dunhill, drinking a corona, and reading a book. I figured its his way of relaxing and such so I didn't bother him. Well on the second to last day I was chatting with guy about cigars and such, and eventually they left, and it was just myself and my buddie, who came with me to the bahamas, and this gentleman. Well had asked me how long I smoked and such, and told me he was quiet impressed with my knowledge of cigars due to my age. He asked me if my father, grandfather, uncle or whatnot smoked cigars (at the time no one in my family did) and I told him no. Then he asked why I started and what drew me to cigars. I didnt' quiet know how to respond, and to this day i'm not exactly sure why I started. All I know is i've always been incredible drawn to them, and now i'm a regular smoker. When I told him this he just looked at his cigar and replied "Yeah me too, that was over 30 years ago." That about the last of our conversation, but it got me thinking about it, and I can't exactly tell you why I started, but I'm sure glad I did.

Ryan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ryan your in philly? i'm in a suburb of philly called West Chester about 45 minutes from center city where i used to live on Spruce and Broad

http://www.ggcigar.com/

that's the cigar shop i go to now, i have like 4 that are really close to my house all within 30 minutes driving

so that's really nice.

unfortunatly I won't be able to enjoy them in college ( non smoking dorms ) maybe outside. Hopefully on the breaks I can enjoy them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
nawrocki,

I would suggest browsing the Top25Cigar website. There is a link from Club Stogie.

About 500 cigar reviews are posted every month by regular cigar smokers like ourselves. You will see which brands and shapes of cigars are rated high and low by everyday cigar smoking gorillas. You can sort the ratings by shape and country also.

For example, you can see the overall 25 top rated cigars in the database. You can also see the 25 top ratings by shape; robustos or pyramids for example. Or you can see the 25 top ratings by country; Nicaragua or Honduras for example. And you can even look at the ratings by brand, such as Fuente or Puros Indios.

I found that I liked a higher percentage of the top rated cigars on the T25C site than cigars rated in Cigar Aficionado. T25C ratings come from thousands of everyday cigar smokers. Cigar Aficionado ratings come from a select few "professional reviewers" who didn't spend a dime of their own money to buy the cigars.

The T25C site also has cigar industry news, interviews with cigar personalities, T25C staff reviews, and more.

... rjs

G

·
nawrocki said:

unfortunatly I won't be able to enjoy them in college ( non smoking dorms ) maybe outside. Hopefully on the breaks I can enjoy them.
i bought myself a nice humidor for my dorm and i go outside to smoke :p

Also, im glad that i ahd a really good friend that works in the local smoke shop so he got me started smoking right -- started me with all the good stuff, so i wouldnt be turned off by the bad stuff -- i dont think ive had anything that was particularly disgusting -- everything's been good so far...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts