·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Torano fan for awhile. This past weekend my youngest daughter
got married in Las Vegas and of course it cost me a bundle (unfortunately
I didn't win enough to pay for anything worthwhile). While I was there I
did have the pleasure to enjoy two Torano sticks I hadn't tried yet. Both
were the Exodus 1959 series, 1 a silver corona and the other a gold topedo.

Where do I start, these are without a doubt the best cigars I've smoked in
quite sometime. I've been trying other brands but I can always depend on a
Torano to fill the bill. Both were even burning, great ash, wonderful taste
and smell, and I'll darn sure have some more of these babies. The gold was
more full bodied than the silver but both are exquisite smokes. The packaging
and wrappers were also very nice. The gold was box pressed and had a wonderful
chocolatey hint.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I found their smoothness was misleading, these sticks knocked me on me arse every time. One of the few I couldn't wake up to...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Man, these are good sticks! They're fairly strong but I think that they keep a good balance with the flavor they have.

mpingree: how was the draw on the Silver corona? I haven't smoked this size yet.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I'm thinking about jumping into the fountains up at the mall and scraping up some coin. Tell me, what's the difference between a Gold and Silver label Torano? Thanks, rns

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eichen

Eichen said:
Man, these are good sticks! They're fairly strong but I think that they keep a good balance with the flavor they have.

mpingree: how was the draw on the Silver corona? I haven't smoked this size yet.
Draw was excellent, it was a great smoke !!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
relaxnsmoke

relaxnsmoke said:
I'm thinking about jumping into the fountains up at the mall and scraping up some coin. Tell me, what's the difference between a Gold and Silver label Torano? Thanks, rns
Silver label was a hand rolled, the gold label was box pressed. Both were great !!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, I'll do my best to try. The Gold label Exodus 1959 is an H-2000 wrapped cigar. Don't let that throw you, a lot of people have really been digging these. Binder is from Honduras, with fillers from a whole bunch of places it seems: DR, Mex, Hon, Nic, and Costa Rica. It's rich, very ample in flavor with med-full strength. It's got some really dark flavors you can sink your teeth into. I think it'd be great after a hearty meal. The only problem I've had with these is that they have a tendency to get bitter toward the end but that could be a function of their strength, youth or my slobber. I've occasionally had draw problems with a few.

The Silver label is a Criollo wrapped cigar, kind of a nice carmel to golden brown in color with light veins and a nice light sheen. Unlike the Golds this cigar is in the round and not trunk pressed. It's a real beauty. The binder is Costa Rica. The filler is Costa Rica, Hon, and Mex. Anyway, whereas the Exodus gold is like a hunters stew, savory and rich, the Exodus silver is more like an orange sherbet (alright, not that sweet!) that packs a bit of a whallop. They can have a bit of a tastey citrus like flavor in the beginning, it then progresses to a very, very smooth and creamy smoke that's all vanilla sweetness and finesse then moving toward half way they build in robust flavors approaching it's sibling, the Gold Exodus. The first one I had out of the box that I ordered recently really took me by surprise in its strength. Kind of like an iron fist clad in kid gloves. Most folks tend to say that these are milder than the gold but I'm not so sure. Then again, it's all subjective. I'd say a med-full cigar too.

In any case both of these cigars are really very enjoyable. Toranos are generally generously packed and very well constructed cigars that smoke cool with an even burn. Sometimes I wonder how I get them to draw at all there's so much tobacco in there but they do! I think you should give them a try. I'll go out on a limb and say that if you like the CAO Brazilias you'll probably like the Exodus golds too. To my taste the Silver is the best of the criollo wrapped cigars that I've had so far available in the States. Toranos are usually good to go right out of the box.

Great, now I've probably built them up too much!

·
Registered
369 Posts
mpingree: Glad to hear it! The corona is a nice size to boot. 6 1/4 by 46 I think. More purchase options for the future...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with all the posts so far...I've tried both the Toro and Robusto of the Gold Label line and enjoyed them both. Also, when I picked these up, I bought another box pressed smoke that was actually pretty good. It was "The Brick" and I think it was made by Torano also. This churchill sized sucker took me all afternoon to smoke and was good start to finish. Just my two cents worth.

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Eichen, after reading your review I remembered I'd tried that Gold Label before, it was one of the smokes given away last year in Vegas at the Big Smoke. We had very similar tasting experiences, heres a review of that one I smoked last winter.

Review Date: 12/1/2002
Review Title: Precision Cigar
This Reviews Rating: 8

Review Notes: A true pleasure to hold and gaze at while smoking. I found this to be full of rich flavors of robust tobacco and an earthy, slightly dark chocolate taste. A wee bit of harshness crept in at under an inch, but the upside is it took well over an hour and a half to get there! Construction-wise, this has got to be one of the finest constructed cigars available. Perfect burn, a joy to watch. Nice clean draw and exact ash. A lot of care went into this cigar. Hats off to Torano!

Do cigars cause amnesia? I will now try the Silvers.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Tried one of the 1959 Gold labels bak in September on a return trip from NYC. Was surprised by just how flavorful, and full bodied with a good balance it had.

The review really helped. Now I have an excuse to go visit my local cigar shop to get some more.

MoTheMan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts