Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you folks bring a new purchase home from the store(singles,not boxes), do you immediately fire it up or do you store it for awhile to age? :al

·
Registered
904 Posts
Good question, answer depends upon what I decided when I bought it.

Usual rule of thumb is store for 3 wks to get the moisture in the cigar to even out.

I usually ask how long the cigar has been in the shop humidor also. You'd be surprised some cigars have already been in the opened box for more than a month and that box probably sat in the humi inventory for one or more mos.

On the other hand you may be purchasing a cigar that just got delivered.

Hope that helps.

Mike T

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
miketafc said:
Good question, answer depends upon what I decided when I bought it.

Usual rule of thumb is store for 3 wks to get the moisture in the cigar to even out.

I usually ask how long the cigar has been in the shop humidor also. You'd be surprised some cigars have already been in the opened box for more than a month and that box probably sat in the humi inventory for one or more mos.

On the other hand you may be purchasing a cigar that just got delivered.

Hope that helps.

Mike T
Hola,
I 'll make sure that it will be in my humidor for at least a few days or weeks.
like what miketafc said it all depend on the cigar condition, I can pick up a cigar from the store, light it up and start browsing what else they have.
or if there is something particulr that I want but i know it'll need a few days or weeks in my humi. I'll just go ahead and let him rest for a while.
Salud!

·
Can walk again.
8,205 Posts
I think it definatly depends on the shop conditions. I was in a chain-type store that features a nice selection, but they obviously need more rest in a humi. However, just last night I was in the JR Outlet Store smoke shop, and conditons were perfect. I fired up a Punch and it was perfect!

:ms NCRM

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My local shop's humi is pretty good about keeping their humi on point. Anything I buy from them is usally good to go unless it just came in, but from anywhere else I usally let chill out for like 2 weeks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Usually whatever I bring home gets to sit for a couple of weeks to a month, all depends on what stock I have at the time, but I've never had a problem with anything bought at the shop here except for the CAO MX2s that they have a really hard time keeping in stock.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Usually mine come off a USPS truck that has been out all day delivering mail, so I usually let mine sit for awhile. UNLESS it is something I have been really wanting to try, then I might fire one up after a few hours in the humidor. It only takes a day or so for them to reclimate, IMO. But more is always better.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll buy a five pack of singles. That allows me to test a cigar that day, one after about three months and then the last smoke some time later. I like to log the progress of aging. Just a simple quirk of mine.

Grinch OUT!!! :bx

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
c2000 said:
Off the FED EX truck and into the pie hole.. Jerry in Minnesota.
LOL! This sounds like a Bill and Monica thing.

All the local shops near me keep their Humis in the 72% range, so I rarely will smoke one right away. Like miketafc said 3 months or so and the cigar will be at my preferred 65%. If I just *have* to try a cigar I will put it into an empty dry box overnight. Although the wrapper is pretty much guarateed to split after this abuse the cigar won't taste wrong to me as high humidity sticks do.

-Matt-

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'll usually let mine rest a while before smoking them.....Unless I stop off at my favorite sports bar before I get home!! :al if that happens, hell I'm lucky if any of them make it home!!!! :D

I am blessed that my local store keeps the RH right about where I like it....kind of hovering around 67% or 68%. So smoking one immediately is not a problem.

There is something about bringing the new babies home, and introducing them into the humi for some quality acclimation time........Kind of like bringing a new puppy home to meet the family.....if you know what I mean!! :cool: :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.