Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. CAO Brazilia Piranha 4.5x46 5-Pack
(This is based off a few reviews that I have seen in this forum)

2. Onyx Reserve Churchill 7.0x50 20/box

3. 10/pack Robusto Sampler/includes one of the following
(This will be the second time I got this sampler)
H. Upmann #100 Robusto 5.00 x 50 E
Montecristo Rothchilde 5.00 x 50 N
Montecristo Serie V Robusto 5.00 x 50 E
Montecristo Vintage '93 Club 5.00 x 50 E
Montecristo White Rothchilde 5.00 x 52 N
Montecristo Xanadu 5.00 x 50 E
Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduro Robusto 5.00 x 50 M
Romeo y Julieta Reserva Royale Robusto 5.00 x 52 E
Romeo y Julieta Vintage Robusto 5.00 x 50 N
TTT Trinidad Robusto 5.00 x 50 E

$116.00 with shipping. or $3.31/cigar

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger that on the CAO. I had a few Extreme Robustos and wasn't that impressed. One thing I noticed is that the longer they are sitting the better tasting they are becoming. The reviews from this forum allow me to take another chance on CAO.

No one has commented on the onyx. That cigar has been one of my favorites. Very easy smoking. I love the maduro wrappers. I read somewhere that their is a darker wrapper than the Maduro. I think its Mexican. Can anyone reccomend a smoke from the darker leaf?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Irish said:
No one has commented on the onyx. That cigar has been one of my favorites. Very easy smoking. I love the maduro wrappers. I read somewhere that their is a darker wrapper than the Maduro. I think its Mexican. Can anyone reccomend a smoke from the darker leaf?
Irish, my friend - I love Onyx! I have only smoked the Toro, but what a cigar! This maduro cigar is a well constructed, smooth flavored cigar. It is economical, and worth every penny. The wrapper is beautiful and the burn is consistent. In fact, I don't know why I don't buy more Onyx cigars! :confused:

MADURO (as defined on the THE CIGAR SMOKER's FAQ site; http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/ - dark brown to very dark brown. These usually have more texture and veining than the lighter wrappers. They are often described as oily looking, with stronger taste - sweet to some palates with a unique aroma. COLORADO MADURO (as defined on the same site) - dark brown, medium strength, slightly more aromatic the maduro. Usually gives a rich flavor, as found in many of the best Honduran cigars. To make a maduro wrapper, "the leaf is left on the tobacco plant for as long as possible before being harvested. After the leaf is picked, it's allowed to air-dry in barns. The tobacco usually undergoes a process in which it's treated with heat (and sometimes pressure) to draw out the oils and 'cook' the tobacco. The oils are then allowed to retreat back into the cigar. This process can be repeated several times, each time making the leaf darker." (From The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars .)

Get this - the Onyx wrapper is a USA Connecticut leaf! Is that cool, or what! :) Obviously the wrapper had the above process done to it several times to get it that dark, dark black.

As for Maduro recommendations (very few will be as dark as the Onyx), I like the Maria Mancini maduros in all shapes. They are not as spicey as the Maria Mancini naturals, but they are really good.

Te Amo also makes a good maduro - but a word of warning, many people do not like the Mexican tobacco, they say it is harsh. But in my opinion, the Te Amo maduros are really, really mild.

But in my humble opinion, the best maduro on the market is Onyx. Beautiful cigar, oily and dark, and a very smooth smoke. To me, the most important thing in a cigar is taste, and the Onyx brand is a great tasting cigar!

Have fun!!!!!

:)

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts
Onyx never really did anything for me. I haven't smoked one in years, it sounds like maybe I should give them another try. I like Partagas Black Label Clasico's. I've run into some construction inconsistancies, but overall well worth the money. I had one last night that was as near a perfect domestic cigar as I've had since CAO was first introduced.

Camacho has just released maduro versions of several cigars in the SLR and Corojo lines. As soon as samplers are available I'm going to put flame to leaf!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
LeafHog said:
Onyx never really did anything for me. I haven't smoked one in years, it sounds like maybe I should give them another try. I like Partagas Black Label Clasico's. I've run into some construction inconsistancies, but overall well worth the money. I had one last night that was as near a perfect domestic cigar as I've had since CAO was first introduced.

Camacho has just released maduro versions of several cigars in the SLR and Corojo lines. As soon as samplers are available I'm going to put flame to leaf!!
I had the Partaga Black Bravo, and while the flavor was excellent, the draw was one of the tightest I have ever had! This flaw in construction ruined the cigar for me... :mad:

I will have to try the Camacho maduros - always found that brand to be quite good.

:)

·
Definitely not a puff fan
1,804 Posts
Wetterhorn said:
I had the Partaga Black Bravo, and while the flavor was excellent, the draw was one of the tightest I have ever had! This flaw in construction ruined the cigar for me... :mad:
Yeah, run into that on about 2 'gars out of every box. Even had one with 4 - count 'em 4 - stems right in the middle! I love the flavor though, and I hope that production quality increases. I'm not exactly holding my breath though. A new 6x50 tubed Black Label is supposed to hit the market soon. I'm definitely going to give it a try as I am not a big fan of the 54 ring guage.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
LeafHog said:
Yeah, run into that on about 2 'gars out of every box. Even had one with 4 - count 'em 4 - stems right in the middle! I love the flavor though, and I hope that production quality increases. I'm not exactly holding my breath though. A new 6x50 tubed Black Label is supposed to hit the market soon. I'm definitely going to give it a try as I am not a big fan of the 54 ring guage.
I don't understand the flaw with the Black Labels :confused: because every other Partaga I have had is just fine. Man, I wish they would get their act together because they are tasty. I will give them a chance now and again, but would not purchase a box because of the construction problems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.