Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very special cigar that deserved to be smoked in a moment of time devoid of all distractions.

This Saturday night seemed like the perfect time. My wife would be out of town on a trip with her sister. I unplugged the telephone,turned off the answer machine, drew the drapes and threw the deadbolts. All possible distractions have been eliminated!
I put on a full pot of Hazelnut coffee which I enjoy with a robust Cuban. I had decided to watch parts of a few movies. I caught the last half of "I Love Trouble" and the end of "The Bourne Identity" and then the last half of "The Counte of Monte Cristo". I moved all the needed items to the end table beside my recliner, parked my ass, and I was ready.

This Toboada Salamone was a deep dark brown in color with a few barely visible veins. Construction was excellent and obviously rolled by a true master of his trade. Perfecto in shape and approximately 7 1/2" in length. It had a light feel for such a large cigar but very comfortable in the hand. There was no visible sheen on the wrapper, yet you could feel a slickness on your fingertips.
I took the time to look at the roll after cutting and it was perfect. I took a couple of draws before putting it to the flame and knew this was going to be a good one. Toasting and lighting was easy. I laid it down after lighting to let it settle. A nice even burn with no touch-ups needed.

I took a couple of pulls to start it up and then one long pull which I let ease out of my mouth and nose. My sinuses were blown away on that first exhale. This first taste was raw POWER! I love it already and I just started! I eased off the throttle on the next few pulls. Once I grew accustomed to the strength I settled into the journey.

The first third had some spicy overtones mixed with the taste and twang of good Cuban tobacco. The draw was a little tight until it cleared the hump and then it opened up all the way to the end with a generous amount of smoke. I also noted a ring of oils about an inch long coming to the surface ahead of the burning ember.

The middle of the cigar had a dramatic change in taste. I could still taste the good Cuban tobacco as the flavors changed from spicy to meaty. The flavors reminded me of a rich, dark, Burgundy wine based sauce. The kind of rich sauce you would find in a Beef Stroganoff. A simply wonderful flavor and the first time I have ever experienced this flavor in a cigar.

The transition into the last third was just as dramatic. The meaty flavor faded and a sweet yet mild citrus flavor came to the forefront. The flavor was similar to caramelized Vidalia onions with just a hint of orange.

All of these flavors were more towards the surface. They were not as deep and rich as the flavors I experienced in a 5 year old VR Custom Rolled Lonsdale, nor was this Salamone as complex as the Lonsdale. If ageing or maturity helps, then the Salamone should be as good or better.

This Salamone was certainly a full bodied smoke. I got no lip or tongue tingle. I did feel a heavy hand upon me. Each time I refilled my coffee cup I noticed my feet felt heavy and my hands were a little clumsy. It was also neat to notice that the flavors changed as I went from one movie to the next. The nutty flavor of the coffee was most enjoyable with this smoke.

The finish of this cigar was a pleasant surprise. It lasted a long time and was very clean and refreshing. It was a wonderful journey with all hands contributing to the enjoyment.

I would be remiss if I didn't thank a certain gentleman, a class act himself, for his generous gift. Thank you!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Toboada Custom Rolled Salamone

a few questions for those in the know... i thought he was independent? like made his own cigars instead of for habanos? what makes his blends different? aged tobacco? more ligero? i will probably never have one but i am interested. thanks.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Re: Toboada Custom Rolled Salamone

Enyafan said:
a few questions for those in the know... i thought he was independent? like made his own cigars instead of for habanos? what makes his blends different? aged tobacco? more ligero? i will probably never have one but i am interested. thanks.
He uses good quality leaf, and the blend is his own. Definately more ligero than any current Cuban blends. I don't think the tobacco is aged more than a few years. I've aged some of the Salomones and Dom Perignon's with great results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.